autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Cold Weather Detailing Jacket?

So... as some of you may know, we're coming into the colder fall and winter weather.

I've got 2 employees plus myself and I really like having a professional look around the shop aka matching themed clothes. Since the colder weather is coming I know everyone will be wearing jackets while outside. I'm looking into getting a work jacket embroidered with the company logo for each of us. I really like the canvas style for durability and stain resistance from some of the heavier chemicals we use (I use acid for wheels and water spot removal). One issue I'm having is finding one that is detailer friendly... NO METAL ZIPPERS OR BUTTONS!

Has anyone else looked into any jackets for this colder weather that are friendly to our industry?

Maybe I should just get a windbreaker/rain jacket. Though, I'd prefer something that will last because the embroidery front and back will run nearly $100 per jacket.
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cold Weather Detailing Jacket?

I am a hobbyist so take this for what it is worth. IMHO an awesome-looking canvas jackets with the company logo may instill swirls just like a car cover flapping in a nice breeze.

My suggestion is an insulated sweatshirt with a hoodie if you so desire. The money you save will help you buy more of them so that as your staff wear them out you can keep them looking fresh.

Post Thanks / Like

I shudder at the thought -- it's mid-80's and sunny this week in the far northeast!

A professional, uniform appearance across your team is very important, regardless the size of your team. That said, one-offs from a uniform company would cost an arm and a leg. I'd find a good workwear store with a huge selection -- up here we have Mark's Work Wear/L'Équipeur -- and look for a microfleece pullover hoodie, then find a local embroidery shop that can put your logo on the upper left chest and maybe name, number and URL across the back. Figure a hundred bucks a pop, but really great advertising.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

What about something like the Under Armour Storm or Coldgear lines?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the two previous posters. A good choice would seem to be a microfleece pullover/sweatshirt type of thing with your shop name custom embroidered on it. Probably much more economical, and as mwoolfso noted less likely to cause problems if it contacts the car's finish.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Northface jacket (there are generic versions). Its waterproof and very warm. I'll get the material info and post tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually just ordered 3 of the "Dickies Men's Insulated Eisenhower Front-Zip Jacket" from Amazon for $35 each along with 3 Carhartt beanies. Getting everything embroidered as soon as they come in. The jacket isn't the big cost, its getting the embroidery done on the back. I was thinking about getting a rain jacket of some sort but I just don't think they would last. And I'm sure a microfleece would stain horribly. I'll update you guys when they are finished
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

Ryan, that has a zipper though...you putting something over the zipper?