autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Shaving-Just came Full Circle.

I finally snapped, after more than 30 plus years running the gamut of double, triple, quadruple-etc Wet Razors, and am finally going back "old school".

I am old enough (60) to remember both all the Barbers of the old days using Straight Razors, and of course the DE Safety Razors. Then the transition to "Injectors" (cool but no Cigar) and finally everything from a Bic (just horrible!) to way too many others, and while convenient, am just totally tired-fed up with the plastic throw-away garbage, and at big dollars too.

They don't last, they usually give a poor shave, and as I say, the prices are beyond ridiculous.

So, over the past few days, I have ordered one Edwin Jagger DE89lbl Razor, a 100 German Made Wilkinson DE Blades, a nice Tub of English Trumper's Rose Scented Shaving Soap, a Badger Hair Brush (not too expensive, but nice) a nice Chrome Stand for the Bathroom Counter Top, and for the heck of it, a Bottle-Can of both Pinaud Clubman After Shave, and Talcum Powder.

Yep, I'm turning the clock back big time to 1964!

Oh, and did buy locally a Styptic Pen, just in case my face looks like a car accident for the first couple times of use! LOL

Will probably have to re-learn "the art of Shaving", where it should not be a scrape job, rushing, take my time, and enjoy the experience and some better care for my face.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shaving-Just came Full Circle.

I hope you mean 40 plus years.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the Dollar Shave Club - great option for me anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Shaving-Just came Full Circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfather View Post
    I hope you mean 40 plus years.
    You are correct, 40 plus years, as there was some good "Peach Fuzz" coming in at the 17-18 year mark.

Of course dumb as we were when kids, always wanted to look older with some facial hair, and lying age, then as we got older, trying to look younger. The male vanity is I believe sometimes worse than the females! LOL

About puberty, heck, I can remember a few guys in grade school, and I'm talking 6th and 7th grade having 5 oclock shadows at 8:30 in the morning! LOL Early bloomers I reckon.

And of course as we age, hair doesn't grow where we want it, and grows everywhere else where we don't want it! Hee hee.

Post Thanks / Like

As a child on the near west side of Chicago, in a little Italy neighborhood, the old Italian Barbers were truly masters of thier trade.

There was no such thing back then as electric clippers, shearing you like some sheep. All Scissors, and Comb, and if you wanted a "Flat Top", they had the special Combs to do such.

Then the Hot Shave Cream Lather machine, and stropping that Straight Razor. The combination of Scissors, and Stropping that straight razor was like a top ten tune.

And when I was older, the hot towels, wrapped around your face, and the shave? Just like Henry Fonda in "My Name is Nobody! LOL

Haircut, $2.00 and a 50 cent tip!

Post Thanks / Like

There is something very therapeutic in the art of shaving. I've been using DE blades since I was 19... I'm 25 now. My skin thanks me every day.

Taylor of Old Bond Street makes some wonderful soaps, and an alum block is a very nice thing to have as well. A lot like cyptic pens but without the chalky residue and stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice supplies. You are going to love the edwin jagger, very classy razor and well balanced. I just finished a 100 pack astra blades i bought in january 2014.

Each blade lasts a good 3-5 shaves depending on full shave or just on the neck.

What i enjoy most is the therapeutic effect of loading the brush, mixing up the lather then shaving. Very relaxing.

I was turned onto wet shaving because i was tired of paying a lot for cartridges that gave so so shaves, not close. I wish i would have learned earlier from my dad who used a gillette TTO razor.

The startup cost to wet shaving is a little costly but every year after that is a win win situation. I believe i spent about $100 to purchase everything to begin with but now i spend about $30 for new razor blades and soap that will last me a year.

Enjoy your shaves !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I wet shave, and prefer to use a brush and shave cream...old school style. I use shave cream and boars hair brush from Art of Shaving. Great stuff, a tiny bit goes a looooong way.

For razors I am loving Harry's blades. I tried Dollar shave club, but their blades were not well designed (always missing beard just under nose) and they didn't last. Harry's don't have that problem and can last 12-14 shaves. Good German blades! And at 8 for $15, hard to beat the price.

Haven't gone the safety razor route, but might someday.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J78J-6PbhVo

Wonder, what it was truly like back in the wild west?

Coming in off the trail for a shave, then playing some cards? LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post

And of course as we age, hair doesn't grow where we want it, and grows everywhere else where we don't want it! Hee hee.
    How true. So much fun leaning into the mirror with my 2.5X reading glasses and a tweezer trying to stay on top whatever sprouting in my ears.

BTW I've been slapping Pinaud on my face everyday for years now. My future ex-wife was thrilled.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast