autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shaving-Just came Full Circle.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J78J-6PbhVo

Wonder, what it was truly like back in the wild west?

Coming in off the trail for a shave, then playing some cards? LOL

Don't forget the " Dance Hall Girls "

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad I'm not the only wet shaver around here. I made the plunge 5-6 years ago and bought my first straight, soap, strop and brush. Not looked back since. My shaves are much better than they ever were. Now it's fun and not a chore.

Currently using a TI razor, Vulfix brush and DR Harris soap. I do need to find a new soap though. Almost finished my puck of DRH.
    Shaving-Just came Full Circle.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1440177724-361041-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Paid a little visit to my local (quite large) antique shop here in town this morning, because I know in the past I have found many unique goodies, like one day in desperate need for a nice Egg Cup for Soft Boiled Eggs. They had a dozen of them and picked out a beauty for $4 a couple years back. I guard and care for that little dear beauty like it cost me $500! :-)

So today, I asked the lady there if, and where in the store she might have some old fashioned shaving gear stashed, and yep, she had some goodies and nice brushes too on hand! Yay!

Selected a very nice, like brand new vintage Made Rite Badger Hair Shaving Brush, $10 out the door.

I'm only lacking one important item, and will get such shortly, a nice Shaving Stand to hold the Brush and Razor.

There's lots to choose from on that auction site, and the web.

As time goes by, I'll no doubt be grabbing some more small assortments of creams-soaps, and after shaves-balms and the like.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys can keep all that fancy shaving creams and soaps, although most soaps are better than todays creams/gels. I'll stick with plane ol' Barbasol that's been around since Coon's had fir. Nice and thick, no irritation, I hate gels because of this, it's cheap and it's nostalgic.

May have to try one of those razors though.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

vintage Made Rite B......
    Shaving paraphernalia?

Sorry; No.
    Instead, (to me), that would be:
    Made Right Burgers...

made to order, and just the right food:
    for the annual Fall Car Show in a little
    town just a few miles North of me.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    You guys can keep all that fancy shaving creams and soaps, although most soaps are better than todays creams/gels. I'll stick with plane ol' Barbasol that's been around since Coon's had fir. Nice and thick, no irritation, I hate gels because of this, it's cheap and it's nostalgic.

May have to try one of those razors though.
    Have a couple cans of Barbasol sitting here, and have been using it for about the past year or so.

No doubt the quality of a shave cream-soap does contribute largely to shaving comfort, and razor cutting efficiency. Lubrication offers the glide, and protection of skin.

Simple test, take any bar of regular soap, and try shaving with it if you dare. You'll have quite a raw face when done.

But too, take a cheapo dollar store plastic razor, and try shaving, and too, no matter the quality of cream-soap, you will be fighting the shave, like shaving with a kitchen knife from the drawer.

I know there's quite a bit of regular run of the mill products that one can usually find at the pharmacy stores, like Cremo, etc. Never tried them, but also might be worth some consideration?

Post Thanks / Like

Have a couple cans of Barbasol sitting here, and have been using it for about the past year or so.

No doubt the quality of a shave cream-soap does contribute largely to shaving comfort, and razor cutting efficiency. Lubrication offers the glide, and protection of skin.

Simple test, take any bar of regular soap, and try shaving with it if you dare. You'll have quite a raw face when done.

But too, take a cheapo dollar store plastic razor, and try shaving, and too, no matter the quality of cream-soap, you will be fighting the shave, like shaving with a kitchen knife from the drawer.

I know there's quite a bit of regular run of the mill products that one can usually find at the pharmacy stores, like Cremo, etc. Never tried them, but also might be worth some consideration?
    I like soap a lot more. The biggest reason is it doesn't seem to dry out as fast as cream or gel.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Mark,

Been doing the DE razor thing for the last 3 years. Use a Merkur 38C and Bolzano Superinox blades, with Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood soap. I really like the TOBS Jermyn Street soap the best, but they don't sell that in a refill puck that I've found, just the more expensive wood bowl, so I buy the Sandalwood pucks for the bowl I have. Might give a shave cream a try the next time I need something. Oh yeah, buy a backup brush when you see one on sale, otherwise they get stupid pricey and you could get dinged for retail when the knot in your current brush lets go unexpectedly one day.

The TOBS I got on a recommendation and just haven't tried anything else. Mind of a Mike Phillips, "find something you like and use it often" sort of mantra.

The Bolzano Blades I got in a tester package from royalshave.com. I found Feather blades were wayyyyy too sharp for my face. I was donating way too much blood each morning. Wilkinson Swords are my second favorite brand, but I found I got a bit better shave with less passes on the Bolzanos. YMMV. Find a blade you like and buy in bulk on a sale to really save some coin. That's the reason I tried a sampler pack.

If you scour sites like badger and blade, royal shave, west coast shaving, etc. and sign up for their email lists, you'll run into some good deals on shave supplies. Just be careful, it can get as addictive trying new shaving products as detailing car supplies, and just like detailing, there are way over-priced items to temp the foolish, and their fortunes. I've found art-of-shaving to be overpriced on a whole, but they occasionally have a decent sale.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVaq2kAlSLY

I felt like Henry Fonda this Morning! :-)

Got my 100 Wilkinson Blades this afternoon. Probably now have more DE Blades, than in this entire county! LOL

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast