autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking to upgrade to 22" Wheels & Tires.

I need to get new tires for my Dodge Ram 1500 Express so I'm thinking about upgrading to a set of 22" Wheels & Tires.

I'm currently looking at a set of Replica Ram R/T Wheels or the Replica Ram SRT10 Wheels. I just can't decide on what tire to go with. I've been reading tire reviews on websites and forums the past couple of weeks. It looks like these tires are getting the best reviews.

Nitto 420S
    Toyo Proxes ST II
    Yokohama Parada Spec-X
    General Grabber UHP
    Cooper Zeon XST-A

Does anybody have 22" wheels on their Truck / SUV?

Does anybody have these tires on their Truck /SUV?

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking to upgrade to 22" Wheels & Tires.

I have 22' on my sequoia, I went with Bridgestone dualers.

Discount tires had a killer sale on 285/45/22 all 4 for $825 with road hazard shipped. They got great reviews and 80k thread life.

I looked at all those brands the thread life was the deciding factor, if I get 50k I'll be happy!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcate
    Black isn't a color, it's a part time job.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 22s on my F150. I am running Kuhmo Ecsta STX (305/45-22) tires and they have been good. They are really quiet and have good performance in wet conditions. I probably have 35-40k miles on them and they still have a lot of tread to go. One "bad" thing I will say about them is they are not any good in mud, but I think that is more because of the wide width than the tire/tread pattern. I also would rather have a non directional tread for more rotation options, but like I said these are holding up well so it's not that big a deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LRC3 View Post
    I have 22' on my sequoia, I went with Bridgestone dualers.

Discount tires had a killer sale on 285/45/22 all 4 for $825 with road hazard shipped. They got great reviews and 80k thread life.

I looked at all those brands the thread life was the deciding factor, if I get 50k I'll be happy!

Thanks for this information LRC3. I will do some research on the Bridgestone Dualers. 80k tread life is great for a set of 22" tires.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MIsnowman View Post
    I have 22s on my F150. I am running Kuhmo Ecsta STX (305/45-22) tires and they have been good. They are really quiet and have good performance in wet conditions. I probably have 35-40k miles on them and they still have a lot of tread to go. One "bad" thing I will say about them is they are not any good in mud, but I think that is more because of the wide width than the tire/tread pattern. I also would rather have a non directional tread for more rotation options, but like I said these are holding up well so it's not that big a deal.

Thanks for this information MIsnowman. I seen a bunch of guys running the Kuhmo Ecsta STX on their trucks when I was searching for tires online. I probably won't be driving in the mud since my truck is a 2 wheel drive and I'm thinking about lowering it with a 2"/4"drop. I like the fact that they are quiet and have good performance in wet conditions. I live in Florida so I would need a nice set of summer tires with good performance in wet conditions since it rains almost everyday during the summer. I would also prefer non directional tires.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI, big price difference in 285/45/22 and 305/45/22.

The 305 are wider with a skinner side wall, I went with 285's bc all the dudes on my Toyota forum said the 305 would rub.

Honestly I'm glad I did, bc my ride quality did diminish and it would have been worse with 305's
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcate
    Black isn't a color, it's a part time job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LRC3 View Post
    FYI, big price difference in 285/45/22 and 305/45/22.

The 305 are wider with a skinner side wall, I went with 285's bc all the dudes on my Toyota forum said the 305 would rub.

Honestly I'm glad I did, bc my ride quality did diminish and it would have been worse with 305's

Thanks for the reply LRC3. Yes there is definitely a price difference between the two sizes. I've read on several forums that the 22x10" Ram SRT10 & 305/40/22 tires will slightly rub the upper control arm at full lock. I'll probably just go with the 22x9" Ram R/T wheels and the 285/45/22 tires. Thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it depends what width rim you have. The 305 is the correct size for a 10" rim and there are no clearance issues on my Ford (need the proper offset). As far as sidewall height, the second number is the aspect ratio, (side wall height as a percentage of the tire width), so a 305/45 actually has more sidewall than a 285/45 since the 305 is wider and they both have the same ratios. The tire that is closest to the height of the factory tires of my truck is actually a 305/40-22, but they were crazy expensive. The 305/45-22 are just slightly taller than the std tires so the speedo is only off a couple mph.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
    I've been reading tire reviews on websites and forums the past couple of weeks. It looks like these tires are getting the best reviews.

Nitto 420S
    Toyo Proxes ST II
    Yokohama Parada Spec-X
    General Grabber UHP
    Cooper Zeon XST-A
    Unfortunately that 305 size has limited options. I have driven the Yoko Parada Spec-x and the Toyo STII and they were close contenders when I bought tires last time.

If you decide to go 285 I would also consider the Nitto 421Q.

I run 20's since I run a smaller OD size. I won't recommend what I use since it's not available in your size.

But if I only had those options I would really look at the Yoko in either size or the Nitto 421Q in the 285's. The Yoko has an awesome price point which makes it even more attractive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MIsnowman View Post
    Yeah, it depends what width rim you have. The 305 is the correct size for a 10" rim and there are no clearance issues on my Ford (need the proper offset). As far as sidewall height, the second number is the aspect ratio, (side wall height as a percentage of the tire width), so a 305/45 actually has more sidewall than a 285/45 since the 305 is wider and they both have the same ratios. The tire that is closest to the height of the factory tires of my truck is actually a 305/40-22, but they were crazy expensive. The 305/45-22 are just slightly taller than the std tires so the speedo is only off a couple mph.

Thanks for this information MIsnowman Looking around at prices the 305's are cheaper than the 285's. I'm guessing the 305 is a more popular size? I'll probably go with the 285/45/22 on the 22x9 Ram R/T wheels. That way I have no rubbing issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast