autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: squeeling rear wheel?

Check the heat shield to make sure it's not rubbing on anything moving.

Did you try wiggling the wheel side to side while I was off the ground? That would be a sure sign of bearing problems if it moves.

Beyond that, I suppose it could be the parking brake or guide pins. There's not much else there to work with. Btw, have you checked the CV boot??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brettS4 View Post
    Btw, have you checked the CV boot??
    He'll be looking for that for a long time on the back of his Maxima.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brettS4 View Post
    Check the heat shield to make sure it's not rubbing on anything moving.

Did you try wiggling the wheel side to side while I was off the ground? That would be a sure sign of bearing problems if it moves.

Beyond that, I suppose it could be the parking brake or guide pins. There's not much else there to work with. Btw, have you checked the CV boot??
    No cv boot(fwd). Was a little wobble, but I attributed that to me loosening the lug nuts(will check when I put the wheel back on). So far Im at a standstill. Im using my brothers matco impact gun at full torque and I cannot get the top caliper bolt out. No easy way I could find to get to it so I am using an angle impact attachment and I have it angled as far as it can go and its not hitting it fully square on unless I hold the extension rod with a little force. Gonna check the Nissan forums and see if they found an easier angle to hit it that I don't see.
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

Why do you want to take the caliper off? Snap a picture of the window in the caliper so we can see the rotor and the pads, and where you see the wear indicators away from the rotor. Can you see the back of the rotor? Is it smooth? Is the front?

Hard to believe you have "plenty of pad left" even on the back, after 50K miles, although not outside the realm of possibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Why do you want to take the caliper off? Snap a picture of the window in the caliper so we can see the rotor and the pads, and where you see the wear indicators away from the rotor. Can you see the back of the rotor? Is it smooth? Is the front?

Hard to believe you have "plenty of pad left" even on the back, after 50K miles, although not outside the realm of possibility.
    Just to get a better view. Not necessarily take it off, just take out one bolt and loosen the other so I could rotate it off rotor. I am aware of the peep hole and I could see the pad, but since it looked like a bit of pad was left, I wanted a better view.

Anyways I broke the note loose with a shorter breaker bar and me basically using my entire body weight until it broke loose. I will take some pictures now..
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, if it was me I wouldn't have disturbed it unless I was going to change the pads and cut the rotor, after 50K they are likely pretty grooved into the rotor.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, if it was me I wouldn't have disturbed it unless I was going to change the pads and cut the rotor, after 50K they are likely pretty grooved into the rotor.
    Hmmm. Didn't consider that but you have a point. Well whats done is now..

Anyways, here are some pictures. Couldn't quite get a ruler in there, but I am guessing maybe 5mm of thickness.

Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

You're right, you've got plenty of pad, no need for a ruler, they still have the groove in the middle. That should go back together fine, the rotors aren't grooved, at least the side I can see. Is the back of the rotor as smooth as the side shown in the pics?

The other thing to look for is if one of the pads is wearing in a taper.

Post Thanks / Like

You're right, you've got plenty of pad, no need for a ruler, they still have the groove in the middle. That should go back together fine, the rotors aren't grooved, at least the side I can see. Is the back of the rotor as smooth as the side shown in the pics?

The other thing to look for is if one of the pads is wearing in a taper.
    No, the rotor is grooved on the front facing side. You just cant see in the picture..

I will check for a taper, didn't think of that. brb..

EDIT: Really hard to tell due to the head shield covering the back, if its grooved or not. Cant see a taper either.

At this point, I am going to put everything back together and take it to my mechanic for a proper diagnosis. If it was obviously the brakes, I would go ahead with my plan of new rotors and pads and do it myself as a project and learning experience. Ill let my mechanic make the call on this one.. If he says brakes, I will get a quote from him and ask how much it would cost if I supply the parts (he is big on OEM, and OEM Nissan rotors are rubbish, pads are decent though, but the whole OEM kit is expensive) and have him do the labor for just the rear. If its too much, I will do the rear myself. If its not the brakes, I will let him, take care of whatever it is.
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

When I say grooved, what I mean is a depressed area where the pad has been riding, not small grooves. Maybe a better description is a "wear land". It's just sometimes hard to get the pads back in the exact same place when that happens, and then the pads sit on the rust and don't seat back in properly, but yours don't look that way.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast