autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Advice of relocating, what tools to use?

Ive been throwing the idea around for a while, and recently started to get more serious.

I guess I am looking for ideas everyone has used or knows for looking for an area with exactly what they are looking for.

I am up in NJ and would like to move somewhere warmer. Have thrown around FL, GA, Carolina's, AZ, NM.

Ive looked at the data reports here New Jersey QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
    Median Income
    Median Age
    Cost of living

Trying to find an area on the outskirts of a big city, Cheaper to live, but still have opportunity I would like to have a possible area I could open a shop even. Ive even went as far as looking on Google maps to see how rural the areas are. whats around, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice of relocating, what tools to use?

I've been throwing around this idea too. I keep getting drawn back to Arizona. I'm getting tired of the crazy cost of living in New Jersey and this depressing weather.

I've been using Google search to research certain areas in AZ. After I find an area that looks nice I research that area and can find tons of data. My criteria for a location I'm sure is different than yours. I've been looking for low crime cities that are family oriented with good schools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Legacykid View Post
    Ive been throwing the idea around for a while, and recently started to get more serious.

I guess I am looking for ideas everyone has used or knows for looking for an area with exactly what they are looking for.

I am up in NJ and would like to move somewhere warmer. Have thrown around FL, GA, Carolina's, AZ, NM.

Ive looked at the data reports here New Jersey QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
    Median Income
    Median Age
    Cost of living

Trying to find an area on the outskirts of a big city, Cheaper to live, but still have opportunity I would like to have a possible area I could open a shop even. Ive even went as far as looking on Google maps to see how rural the areas are. whats around, etc.
    Come over here to my neck of the woods, buy a shop and give me a job as a mechanic/detailer/consultant. It's not exactly warm but it's not on the ocean either. We could put "the rooms" off to the side, and as they "come to" we can put them to work to learn some work ethic, build a skill / learn a trade and transition back into being usefully whole.

We can both practice what we're best at.

Post Thanks / Like

I went through this dilemma a couple years ago with my wife, we felt like we needed a change and that we needed to get away from the rainy Seattle area. After countless hours of research and a few family vacations, we decided on Bend, OR. Not near your list, (it's cold and snowy in the winter, but overall quite dry and sunny). We move in a month and a half and can't wait!

Good luck with your move, wherever it may end up. Hopefully it all goes well for you!
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

I lived in south jersey for my first 25 yrs and now in florida for the last 20. There are a lot of things to consider before moving. The biggest one being money.
    My experience only: I was a union diver and made great money. Down in florida it's not even close. The cost of living is cheaper but it still isn't close. Florida is a right to work state, last I checked which most of the south is, which is a whole other topic.
    In NJ, the winters were cold so I didn't spend that much time outside unless I was working. Down here it is so hot that I can't just hang outside. Call that one even.
    A less people where I live now but the traffic is more frustrating. Traffic lights are not synced up.
    Where I am now is a great place to raise kids, but the schools aren't nearly as good as compared to up north.
    Get your info and select wisely! So many factors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dsg03gt View Post
    I've been throwing around this idea too. I keep getting drawn back to Arizona. I'm getting tired of the crazy cost of living in New Jersey and this depressing weather.

I've been using Google search to research certain areas in AZ. After I find an area that looks nice I research that area and can find tons of data. My criteria for a location I'm sure is different than yours. I've been looking for low crime cities that are family oriented with good schools.
    I feel you, what part of Jersey?

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    Come over here to my neck of the woods, buy a shop and give me a job as a mechanic/detailer/consultant. It's not exactly warm but it's not on the ocean either. We could put "the rooms" off to the side, and as they "come to" we can put them to work to learn some work ethic, build a skill / learn a trade and transition back into being usefully whole.

We can both practice what we're best at.
    Dave lets back our bags and head south!

Quote Originally Posted by jarred767 View Post
    I went through this dilemma a couple years ago with my wife, we felt like we needed a change and that we needed to get away from the rainy Seattle area. After countless hours of research and a few family vacations, we decided on Bend, OR. Not near your list, (it's cold and snowy in the winter, but overall quite dry and sunny). We move in a month and a half and can't wait!

Good luck with your move, wherever it may end up. Hopefully it all goes well for you!
    Awesome best of luck to you as well

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan View Post
    I lived in south jersey for my first 25 yrs and now in florida for the last 20. There are a lot of things to consider before moving. The biggest one being money.
    My experience only: I was a union diver and made great money. Down in florida it's not even close. The cost of living is cheaper but it still isn't close. Florida is a right to work state, last I checked which most of the south is, which is a whole other topic.
    In NJ, the winters were cold so I didn't spend that much time outside unless I was working. Down here it is so hot that I can't just hang outside. Call that one even.
    A less people where I live now but the traffic is more frustrating. Traffic lights are not synced up.
    Where I am now is a great place to raise kids, but the schools aren't nearly as good as compared to up north.
    Get your info and select wisely! So many factors
    its always the little things you never think of. My area is high traffic at times ( for no reason).

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Sussex county and commute to Bergen county for work.

Post Thanks / Like

Consider this... AZ (Phoenix, Tuscon) heat is almost unbearable in the summertime. Between 110 and 120 is the norm and it cools off to nice comfortable 100 in the middle of the night. It's nice for the other 8 or 9 months but the summers are brutal.

I know they say the cost of living in So Cal is higher than other places but that is mostly attributed to housing costs and maybe gasoline.

If you can afford to buy a house in So Cal, it's hard to beat. Near perfect climate.

I live in Simi Valley. Summer temp averages are in the 80s & 90s, winter 60s & 70s. And in all the years I've lived here (since 1980) I can only recall a handful of times that it rained during the summer months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dsg03gt View Post
    I live in Sussex county and commute to Bergen county for work.
    O looking at your name I believe we've met before at Daves!

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Consider this... AZ (Phoenix, Tuscon) heat is almost unbearable in the summertime. Between 110 and 120 is the norm and it cools off to nice comfortable 100 in the middle of the night. It's nice for the other 8 or 9 months but the summers are brutal.

I know they say the cost of living in So Cal is higher than other places but that is mostly attributed to housing costs and maybe gasoline.

If you can afford to buy a house in So Cal, it's hard to beat. Near perfect climate.

I live in Simi Valley. Summer temp averages are in the 80s & 90s, winter 60s & 70s. And in all the years I've lived here (since 1980) I can only recall a handful of times that it rained during the summer months.
    I wouldn't have thought to look at Cali for the reasons of how strict some of their regulations are (Inport/export). Plus they don't have 93 octane lol

Post Thanks / Like

I've was at Dave's and Monica's for the detail day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast