autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I need a raise!!! - need input/feedback

Slippery slope man. Just go in there talking about YOU, not anyone else. Tell him you think you earned your raise because of XYZ. If you are not valuable enough to them they cant and wont give you a raise. Maybe you should shop your talents out to someone who will appreciate them.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Give him clear examples of where you add value to the organisation, or where you have delivered more than what is expected of you, as opposed to comparing what you earn to what someone else earns in order to ask for more.

Post Thanks / Like

simple...you never gonna get anything if you don`t ask , be upfront , end of story

* keep cool and be polite
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area
    @proreflection
    www.proreflection.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I am not going to go in talking about others, that I know is a big don't Do. I will talk about what I have brought to the table so far.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    No don't. Keep it cool with him even if you feel heated and undeserved. Your job is your current source of positive cash flow. How long could you afford to be without your job?
    If you were considering detailing full-time, you could go into detailing, but you will have to establish a client base gradually.
    I would be irritated if I were you, who just learned you're underpaid, but a lot is at stake if you leave your boss with a sour taste in his mouth.
    Stay calm, and get a good nights sleep.
    Keeping it cool with him will be difficult, however i will stay positive. Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by HD.Detailing View Post
    Put yourself in his shoes, why are you worth more?

Education doesn't mean squat.
    Breathing air doesn't equate to a raise either. Time employed doesn't matter.

Show him how you have made the company money, saved the company money, and DO NOT bring up others income, you will be unemployed.

Sent from my Alien ship

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharply Dressed View Post
    How does your account base compare? If equal or higher, how do you compare to peers? Regarding unbilled overtime, is that the lowest (best in class) and important to your manager? If all the above is in your favor, leverage it for largest merit increase. You could also ask if your contributions and compensation are in line with your peers. Some companies review. Another factor in pay difference is salary history of peers and if they came to the company from outside. Typically those from outside get paid more whereas merit increases for those inside the company are smaller. Best wishes
    I have the most accounts of them all, so my OT is just slightly higher than theirs, however I also have the toughest accounts to manage. The OT is important to them. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    What if he offers you a raise tomorrow?

Are you prepared for that option?

How much would it have to be to make you happy?

Do you have a negotiation strategy if the raise is not enough?

Whatever you do, it must be in the form of a "kindness sandwich"

I enjoy working here and I feel that i have grown tremendously in the last year

Is there an opportunity to increase my compensation? What do I need to do to justify a raise?

Thank you for the opportunity to discuss my future with XYZ inc. Can we meet again in 6 months to revisit my continued development in the areas you suggested?
    I would be happy with $10,000 more a year. But i am willing to settle at 8k more.. If not, its job searching time for me!

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    looks like it's time to buy some lottery tickets and/or scratchers...

j/k - hope it all works out, be positive and present your best attributes to the company. good luck...

I'll buy some this morning lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Docpeanut View Post
    Have you seen the others pay stubs? Just because one makes claims doesn't mean they're true.
    I actually saw it on our online portal by accident, however I will not make any mentions of it.

Super Member Pockets@PoorboysWorld's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My father always told me

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate"

That is life .... it also goes the other way. If somebody is great at negotiations then they will get more than they deserve! Best of luck to you and hope it's a positive turnout =)
    Chris (a.k.a. Pockets)
    Warehouse Manager

Pockets@poorboysworld.com
    (845)215-9700

Post Thanks / Like

You need to know in your mind how much of a rise you want before you go in to the meeting, and expect to negotiate.
    Try to predict what his responses to you asking for a raise are likely to be, and have some responses of your own ready ahead of time. you're likely gonna get the "times are hard and the company can't afford it" speech, so have a few of those figures ready to quote, just don't be overly aggressive about it. reply with something like "well actually, this year my department…". If things aren't going your way suggest that you'd like to meet again in a couple of days when he's had to to look over some figures and come up with a number you're both happy with.
    good luck, its never an easy thing to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quantify and prove with documentation what you have done for your employer and in the most positive, professional way you can. Then establish some goals for the NEXT review period.

It should become clear and apparent you are worth more. But if it doesn't happen this time, come in next time having met the goals you established and position yourself for an even better discussion next time.

Having lived my life on both sides of that argument i am taking your manager's perspective. I heard yours.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets@PoorboysWorld View Post
    My father always told me

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate"
    Now that is a quote I am going to have to put in my memory bank. The absolute simplest truth!

I own 3 businesses and have employees, and part of my job is to negotiate those salaries and perks. I can tell you that nothing shuts down the conversation for me than an employee that comes to me with an "entitlement" attitude. Go in and have a conversation with a friend. You already mentioned that you know that your raise is on your own personal merits and value to the company, and that comparing and contrasting is a big "no-no". As other expressed, being aware of the numbers are important.... but don't go in regurgitating numbers because your boss may feel that you are undermining his knowledge or understanding of those numbers. Again go in and have a conversation with a "friend". Ask him what he likes and dislikes about your work. Inquire as to your capacity for advancement. Express your desire to move up and have more responsibilities (without sounding like you are gunning for his job), express a desire to improve your capacity to provide for yourself and your family. Do discuss your current salary and where he sees the salary cap? Inquire to see if the salary you have is low/average/high and how to improve on that. Calm, cool, collected and PREPARED. You may be thrown a curve ball (in a question or situation). Be prepared!

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast