autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Richy's Fireplace Glass Restoration

The glass on our gas fireplace has been bothering me. It's got this white film covering about the top 1/2 of the glass. It made the fireplace look horrible and it's been that way since last year. The time to ignore it had come to an end!!

There's products of course, but I figured I'd try it my way. First though, here's 2 shots of the glass on the countertop (placed on a red towel):

See that film or haze I was describing. It had been on there for a while so I didn't expect it to be easy to remove. I did try some straight vinegar and a magic eraser at first. That definitely helped and did remove some. Next step was to bring in my Flex 3401 + an old TB black wool pad + Amerirocks. That did an amazing job of cutting through the haze and clarifying the glass. Next I used a yellow B/S pad + M205. Finally it was given a wipe down with a CP Fast Glass (or KD) towel. After only 15-20 minutes of removing, cleaning and re-installing it, here's how it looked right after being polished:

1001 uses for detailing products....1002 if you do cars with them!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Richy's Fireplace Glass Restoration

I had something similar not long ago. It was the interior glass on my toaster oven. I took out my Griot's electric polisher and Griot's white, glass pad that I use for polishing my windshield. First I used P21S Paintwork Cleanser followed by Duragloss Nu-Glass polish. I had to do the corners with a small hand pad but my efforts were rewarded with a much improved glass. Not perfect by anymeans because some stuff was really baked on but much better than before. I put the oven on broil a couple times to burn off any residue and make it safe for food. I don't think I could have gotten the same results using conventional household cleaning products.

I use lots of car detailing products around the house and bath and they perform as well in the home as they do on the car. Since you are a Duragloss fan like me, have you ever tried a spray down and buff of Fast Clean and Shine on your refrigerator and freezer? Also your washer/dryer? You will clean them of minor smudges and make them sparkle like new at the same time!! And don't forget Rain Repell on all your interior mirrors, especially in the bathroom where water hits them and slides right off.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem. I ended up using Wolfgang Uber Compound. Not the all in 1. It really worked well. Doesn't hurt to try. It also works good on glass top cooking stove.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shortspark View Post
    I had something similar not long ago. It was the interior glass on my toaster oven. I took out my Griot's electric polisher and Griot's white, glass pad that I use for polishing my windshield. First I used P21S Paintwork Cleanser followed by Duragloss Nu-Glass polish. I had to do the corners with a small hand pad but my efforts were rewarded with a much improved glass. Not perfect by anymeans because some stuff was really baked on but much better than before. I put the oven on broil a couple times to burn off any residue and make it safe for food. I don't think I could have gotten the same results using conventional household cleaning products.

I use lots of car detailing products around the house and bath and they perform as well in the home as they do on the car. Since you are a Duragloss fan like me, have you ever tried a spray down and buff of Fast Clean and Shine on your refrigerator and freezer? Also your washer/dryer? You will clean them of minor smudges and make them sparkle like new at the same time!! And don't forget Rain Repell on all your interior mirrors, especially in the bathroom where water hits them and slides right off.
    Rain Repel on Mirrors? Brilliant!! I'll be doing that this week for sure. I typically use UWW for appliance clean up but FC & S would do well do as would Aquawax.

Quote Originally Posted by sjb89 View Post
    I had the same problem. I ended up using Wolfgang Uber Compound. Not the all in 1. It really worked well. Doesn't hurt to try. It also works good on glass top cooking stove.
    You know what other product rocks the hell out of the glass stove top? P21S metal polishing soap! You've got to see it to believe it. I'll go over it after wiping off with UWW for the win.

Post Thanks / Like

This is funny as I just popped my glass out last night and cleaned it as well. I don't think we have cleaned the inside since we moved in 10 years ago. Your haze might have been a little more sticky than mine as I only needed glass cleaner. I used D120. It did take about 6 applications to get it clean. I used a fresh towel each time and kept going until no more dirt/residue showed up on the towel. Then did a final application with a final wipe using another fresh towel for a streak free shine. What a difference!
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Super Member Pockets@PoorboysWorld's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    1001 uses for detailing products....1002 if you do cars with them!
    I love this line! Came out great BTW

I have been sent Grills, Lawnmowers, Quads, Tractors, Counter tops, Cabinets, Shower Doors, Brass Statues, all kinds of things that have been detailed with Poorboy's World Products haha.
    Chris (a.k.a. Pockets)
    Warehouse Manager

Pockets@poorboysworld.com
    (845)215-9700