autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

If you recognize the sound of a buffer, you're spending too much time in the shop - Gas Monkey/Misfit Garage

Was watching the 2 hour Gas Monkey / Misfit Garage today and a few things really stuck out.

When the Misfit's were finishing the 65 Mustang, and the NUTBAG they call "Soupbone" was spraying a driveshaft (white of all colors) in front of the fan, in FRONT of the dark blue metallic car......... Well you know where that was going!

Sure enough, car covered with overspray, lots and LOTS of BIG SPLOTCHY SPOTS of white overspray.

They were talking about how the paint can't be matched, the car would need to be repainted, yada yada yada. Give me a break!

So the "Misfit's" call in a detailer. (It was Brian Hare from Detail Werkz btw.)

But what really struck me was that when the camera was looking at the hood of this car that it was literally eat up with orange peel. This was a very specialized paint with 16oz of pearl just in the basecoat. It was VERY clear to see that the car was already in severe need of buffing. Not just a little bit, but OMG.

So in comes Brian, pulls out a couple bottles of product that I didn't recognize (smallish black bottles) and some clay then low-and-behold... the overspray was (at least partially) coming off. Again...

Then he figured out that the clay really wasn't 'cutting' it. And then he goes for his buffer. I was in the kitchen at the time, the buffer fires up, and I instantly knew.... I mean I - instantly - knew....!!!

I came around the corner and sure enough Rupes! That high pitched whine of that thing running darned near wide open.

He told the "Misfit" "I've got good news and bad news". Well of course he did!

But what really surprise me is he didn't tell them he wanted/needed to buff the entire car.

The good news btw was that it (the King Kong sized overspray spots) were indeed coming off. The bad news was that just for the front corner of the hood it was going to take several hours.

Had it been me I'd told them it was going to take 2 days but it'd look like it was supposed to look in the first place.

But seriously guys....... when *I* even recognize the sound of a Rupes from another room things are getting really nuts!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: If you recognize the sound of a buffer, you're spending too much time in the shop - Gas Monkey/Misfit Garage

I noticed that orange peel, too. But somehow at the end of the show, the thing looked perfect. Seems like they snuck in a cut and buff...or more likely the whole driveshaft painting was set up for the show, and they did it before the cut/buff so they could just sand it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: If you recognize the sound of a buffer, you're spending too much time in the shop - Gas Monkey/Misfit Garage

The products he was using before buffing looked like Swissvax to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Somewhere, probably ingrained way down deep inside me, lay the reasons that: I believe shows like this must be why I haven't had cable since the 1970s.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I noticed that orange peel, too. But somehow at the end of the show, the thing looked perfect. Seems like they snuck in a cut and buff...or more likely the whole driveshaft painting was set up for the show, and they did it before the cut/buff so they could just sand it off.
    I was thinking the same thing. I mean GOOD GOD did that "perfect paint" look like a wool rug in the first shots.

Quote Originally Posted by blkSRT View Post
    The products he was using before buffing looked like Swissvax to me.
    I wondered if that was it, especially with the little thin red lines. He did keep the bottles turned around though.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Somewhere, probably ingrained way down deep inside me, lay the reasons that: I believe shows like this must be why I haven't had cable since the 1970s.

Bob
    Ahhh but I don't do cable either. It's DirecTV about the last 20 years all the way for me, two 2-tuner DVR's and a 5-tuner DVR, that and 3 more stand alone boxes. All of which are connected and can be watched in any room.
    If it's out there, and I might, in my wildest dreams even THINK about wanting to watch it..... trust me.... I'll BE recording it.

So how many of y'all recognized the Rupes before actually seeing it?

Post Thanks / Like

That show is an insult to anyone that has common sense. The really sad part is, people who don't know any better, believe all of the moronic behavior. After watching the show, i can't imagine letting those monkeys touch my car. They give the business a bad image.

Post Thanks / Like

Even being a novice you knew that something else was done to the paint.
    I do like watching some of the shows about cars and how they fix them up but you know they are not showing the whole process which we here on AG know what it takes to get them looking good.

Post Thanks / Like

HAHAHA! This made me laugh put loud....

I think I'd recognize a Flex from another room.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon