autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Another reason why he is Mike Phillips featuring Flex PE8

He gets to play first LOL!!!

Very cool video from SEMA 2014. No doubt, a humble passion for the craft.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another reason why he is Mike Phillips featuring Flex PE8

Oh, amazing share!,

Thanks a lot.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

that little machine looks very nice...

Mike Phillips

I remember you coming by our booth as we were setting up on Monday for SEMA.

I had just set up the demo hood and doing my normal thing of cleaning up the paint before the show would start on Tuesday morning.

The paint on the hood was in really bad shape, with lots of swirls and scratches and of course lots of RIDS or random, isolated deeper scratches.

This is the normal condition after a demo panel is packed and shipped out from Florida to Las Vegas.

I've been doing live demonstration on black paint in front of huge crowds at big shows for over 25 years now and theres a very important reason I clean up the demo panels BEFORE a show starts and that's because...

When you turn a polisher on and demonstrate in front of people everyone and their brother all of a sudden becomes a paint polishing EXPERT and if you don't remove 100% of the defects in the paint someone will point it out and instead of the focus being on how you just removed millions of swirls and scratches your captive audience will now focus on the one tiny little remaining defect that was not removed.

The point of what you're trying to show, in this case a brand new compound is completely missed as everyone focuses on a single defect that now after all the millions of defect have been removed will stand out like a sore thumb.

Groups of people walk by all day long and you have about 5 minutes to do your demonstration and show, no prove your product works beyond a shadow of a doubt.

There's no time to go through an explanation that the one or two scratches not removed are deeper and all they require is a little more buffing... no that won't work.

So after the majority of our boot is set-up, I get out all the the tools, pads and products and take the time to sand and buff the panel till 99.9% of all defects are removed.

When this video was being made you can see by how the OP of this thread panned back and forth and shows the paint on one side of the tape-line is completely scratched up and then after I buffed the smaller section with the Flex PE8 followed by the Flex 3401 there's still a few remaining scratches in the paint on the side I had just buffed. The majority of the swirls and scratches were removed in two simple step. But a few remained.

But this was just the "start" of the process. By the time our booth was completely set-up I had sanded and buffed till the all of the deeper scratches had been removed over the entire panel.

Then over the course of the next 4 days in a very "controlled" manner, the panel will be scratched and swirled and then the swirls and scratches will be removed 100% and all this is done under excruciating lights, on black paint, in front of dozens of people... over and over again....

That's the the way it's done.

Same thing last year at the 2013 SEMA show...

Mind Blowing - Rupes Blue Foam Cutting Pad and Zephir Gloss Coarse Gel Compound

Note the focus point of light on the hood in the picture below and the reflection of the light overhead and how there's zero swirls.

And the year before and the year before and the year before....

I think this video came out really considering I had just started doing what I call cleaning up the panel before the show would start the next day.

Super Member Pinpoint_Precision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The best of the best as always.
    Pinpoint Precision Auto Detailing
    Modesta Glass Coating | Suntek Ultra PPF

Http://www.pinpointprecisionautodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Mike, this answer is 'another reason why you are Mike Phillips!',

Thanks for the in depth,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Moldavite

Impressive!!!

thanks for sharing

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    Wow Mike, this answer is 'another reason why you are Mike Phillips!',

Thanks for the in depth,

Kind Regards.

Yeah I saw this video posted over the weekend and I figured due to the way some people in the forum world are I should explain why after I wiped off the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish and the camera scanned over the paint panel that there were still some deeper scratches left in the paint as some people don't listen, (to the video), or read.

We had thousands of people come by our booth and this demo hood was scuffed, scratched and swirled over and over again and then buffed and restored to a flawless condition but only after the initial buff-out I did that Monday before the show started.

I never mind doing demos on black paint in front of live crowds because I'm always confident of the products, pads and tools I'm showing.

The way you can tell it's Monday is because I'm wearing a t-shirt. The rest of the days, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday it's company colors all the way.

The Flex PE8 is very nice and well-built tool. It will make a great addition to your current tool collection.

The backing plates and foam pads will make it quick and easy to tackle any thin panel, tight or complicated area to correct and polish.

The NEW FLEX PE8 Kompakt Rotary Polisher Polisher in ACTION!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another reason why he is Mike Phillips featuring Pe-8

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    everyone and their brother all of a sudden becomes a paint polishing EXPERT
    That's hilarious.

They just don't get it Mike.