autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garage Heater

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garage Heater

Yeah, that lightheadedness is almost certainly a precursor to death by carbon monoxide!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    IMO you guys are getting a little too exercised about the valve. The change that was made to propane tanks was to prevent overfilling, which could cause rupture of the tank under a narrow set of circumstances, it didn't have anything to do with the valve per se.

We all used propane tanks for decades without overfill devices and we're all still here to tell about it.
    I Agree

I use something very similar in my garage Richy. While the take looks old it's no doubt fine because it's full and as far as I know propane doesn't go bad....or at least I've never had one go bad.

The valve is the older style but I suspect it connects with the heater connection. Here in the states, the older valves like the one in your photos aren't used anymore and might even be outlawed.

The newer tanks and connections use a different screw on type that connects to any propane device of the same design. Wrenches are no longer needed with the newest design which does make swapping out tanks much easier.

To heat my garage I use a combination of propane and wood. My propane heater warms things up quickly then the wood stove maintains nicely.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I do plan on getting some fresh air in while using it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

IMO you guys are getting a little too exercised about the valve. The change that was made to propane tanks was to prevent overfilling, which could cause rupture of the tank under a narrow set of circumstances, it didn't have anything to do with the valve per se.

We all used propane tanks for decades without overfill devices and we're all still here to tell about it.
    I think everyone (I was) using the new valve vs old valve as an indication of the tanks' age.

Hence, has the tank been recertified?

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    I think everyone (I was) using the new valve vs old valve as an indication of the tanks' age.

Hence, has the tank been recertified?
    Do they recertify those? Those lightweight tanks are throwaways, I thought.

I just think this gets overblown (so to speak) because one time some knucklehead overfilled a tank for a guy who put it in his car and parked it in the sun until it got to 150° and the tank blew up (because the relief device failed), and then we all had to get new tanks, forgetting the other 400,000,000 times a tank got filled and nothing happened.

Just like my outdoor faucet has a leaky anti-siphon valve because one time some knucklehead left a hose-end sprayer (a Gilmour, lol?) full of insecticide on the end of his hose with the valve open, on just the day when he lost water pressure, and siphoned the poison into his house on just the day when his wife was making a pitcher of iced tea instead of going to the bathroom first (and flushing out the pipes). So because of those five things that had to go wrong now all of us have to live with leaky outdoor faucets.

We as a society today (for a variety of reasons) get confused between what could happen and what's remotely likely to happen. A lot of these thing are pushed, surprise, by companies that make things like propane tanks and outdoor faucets.

/rant

Post Thanks / Like

Do they recertify those? Those lightweight tanks are throwaways, I thought...
    In a word...yup.

Not sure how every state does it, but when I lived in Washington, I'd get my tanks refilled at a propane dealer. They had signs stating, "Out of date, non-certified tanks cannot be refilled." Or something close to that, anyhow they could re-test and also re-certify the tank. Think it cost $5 or so. This was about ten (10) years ago.

When they tested them, they would fill them with high pressure air an submerge 'em in a tank of water for an hour or so to test for leaks. Also a weight test, look at the actual weight of the empty tank (as stamped on the tank) and compare it with the current weight. What weight difference would determine a non compliant...ain't gotta clue.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a similar set up here in Michigan. I keep the garage door open about a foot and a window open. Most of the heat stays in as heat rises towards the ceiling. I don't do much detailing during the winter other than wash and vacuum. If we get a warm up I put on an extra coat of bfwd. One thing I learned is to have two lp tanks. I use the small one from my grill and I have a larger one I bought on Craigs list. I found a local place that charges for the amount used instead of just doing a swap and I save some money. With having two tanks I wont run out. It always happens at the worst times. My garage is insulated and 24x36. I find I can heat the garage up in about 20 minutes in the dead of winter and then turn the machine off. Great tools but be careful of the flame, and the reduction of o2.

Post Thanks / Like

I use hot water to heat my garage. You can run tubing in the walls, ceiling, floor, or all the above.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12