autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: iPhone & OtterBox Defender

So, peeps & geeks, apparently some people have some interest in the iPhone 6 here - be it love or hate. Well, yesterday (24 hrs ago) I was driving by AT&T and decided to stop via a whim. I figured they had no iPhone 6s - but thought I would check out what they would give me for my iPhone 5.

So, I went in and asked dude at the counter...

Me: "do you have any iPhone 6s here?".

Dude: "ummm, people usually order them".

Me: "I see".

Dude: "I have one - but it's sold...but what is your cell phone #?".

So, I give him my number and I guess he sees I'm legit...

Then, he asks what color & memory size I want. I said "black 16gb". So, dude goes in the back and suddenly finds one. Go figure... I get the feeling they are trying not to sell to people who are paying cash for the phone (no contract with AT&T - lost $$$) to sell them for profit. Just a gut feeling - but I did read they were selling for like 10x the cash price in some places of the world.

Anyway, once he had the phone - we where in business. I wanted to get the phone in person (opposed to ordering it) - because I wanted to trade in my iPhone 5 at the same time (less $$$ I have to pay upfront). My contract was up with AT&T and the iPhone 6 was $200 with a renewal. So, dude offered me $150 for my old iPhone 5 - I said make it $200 & you got a deal. So, I got the iPhone 6 basically for free.

Of course they didn't have OtterBoxes there, so I went to Best Buy & picked one up ($50). The phone went right in the case and will never likely come out until I go to replace it. I thought I would post some pics of the new phone in the case compared to he old case (OtterBox Defenders). Since, my phone never leaves the case and this particular case seems to last the life of the phone - all my thoughts are of the phone in the case.

My first thought on the size of the 6 is it's just right. I've always felt Apple should have 2 size iPhones: one for those who use iPads (small) & one for those who don't (large). They keyboard on the new phone seems a bit more useable - it's bigger and there is less accidentally key mis-strokes.

Here are some comparison photos of the new phone in the case and the old case. Obviously, the new phone is bigger. But, the new OtterBox is thinner and beveled.

Old case was a block - new case is beveled:

Old case had a rubber cover for home button - new case has clear flexible plastic. I think I like the rubber better...the rubber border of the case is also thinner:

Apple moved the on/off button of the 6 from the the top (5) - to the side (6). So, obviously it's different on the case:

The iPhone 6 (including case) seems the perfect size. You can still hold it with one hand and reach across the phone with your thumb:

Apple also changed the volume buttons from dots to slits. So, they are different on the case as well. The flap for the mute button opens from the opposite side as well:

One reason I REALLY like the OtterBox Defender case is the removable clip on bracket it comes with - which also doubles as a kick stand. This bracket is solid and holds onto the phone tight. You can also snap the phone in front forward or back forward.

It's hard to tell from the pic - but the new case holds the 6 up slightly on a slant back angle. This is better than the angle the 5 is held up in kickstand position, which is closer to vertical:

Kickstand clicks locked to be used as a kickstand, or unlocked to be used as a belt clip:

So, I really like this new case and phone. The rubber seems a hair stiffer on the new OtterBox - but I remember feeling this way the last time. Maybe it softens over time. The new case does feel thinner and more "solid". I took some pics of the thickness'. It is hard to tell from the pics, but the measurements are accurate.

Old case measures about 5/8" (0.625") thick:

New case is a hair over 1/2" (0.5") thick:

This means the new phone in the case is about 1/8" (0.125") thinner. Nice.

The new belt clip is thinner as well:

The buttons feel "stiff" on the new case. You have to push them pretty hard. I'm guessing as the rubber ages and stretches it will loosen up. The new phone is pretty nice as well. One thing I've noticed is the battery seems killer. I charged it when I got it (24 hrs ago) and haven't charged it since - other than during a few short trips in my car. The battery currently sits at about 50%. I noticed it seem to initially charge faster than the old phone as well. iOS 8 seems to be working well for me. The speaker on the new phone seems louder, too.

Updating the new phone to my old set up was easy. I just plugged it into iTunes and it walks you through. I had no problems connecting to my bluetooth devices or wifi. This is why I really like Apple and their products. The stuff just seems to work and work reliably. I can't deal with stuff that won't sync, stuff that won't connect, or cryptic messages of errors that make no sense to me. When you go from one Android phone to another - I'm guessing the procedure isn't so reliable or easy. Dunno. The trade in value off an old Android phone? Dunno. Again, I got the iPhone 6 for free (renewed contract).

iTunes makes one cohesive and reliable place to manage everything on your iPhone. Some people seems to say Android phones are technologically "ahead" of the iPhone - but I'm not really sure what else I would want this phone to do that it doesn't do. The new phone seems pretty quick to me and everything just works reliably and quickly and is easy to use.

I really like these OtterBox Defender cases. Mainly because of there impact absorbing rubber cover and their built in plastic screen protector. The new case really feels thinner and less bulky - even the though the new phone measures larger.

A while ago I tripped and and ended up accidentally using my phone to break my fall. The phone smacked on the ground in my hand with all my weight on it and was not damaged at all. Here you can see the scratch & impact marks on the top black part of the case from that:

The screen would have surely broke with another case. I've dropped my old phone probably hundreds of times with this case with no damage. So, it give the new case and phone 5 stars. I haven't found anything to really complain about yet...

I'm sure someone is going to ask...My screen saver on my phone has been Barbara Stanwyck from Stella Dallas (1937) for some time now.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: iPhone & OtterBox Defender

Thanks for the review! I've been leaning towards the iPhone 6 also since I think the 6 Plus may be a little too big since I sometimes keep the phone in my pocket when I'm at the gym working out and I also plan on getting the new iPad also so therefore don't need the larger phone. I really like the OtterBox Defender case also, but was a little hesistant to get it since it got poor reviews on Amazon. I may go with the Defender case again.

Post Thanks / Like

Why did I read this!?!?!?!!? Now I want one (and Barbara Stanwyck). Having big hands like yours, it does put in perspective that the larger size offers benefits beyond just a larger screen for visually more mature people like myself

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

There is no denying that your review of the
    new iPhone 6, and it's companion OtterBox,
    is nothing short of being excellent...Thanks!

Side Bar:
    Been using my newly acquired (slightly used)
    iPhone 5 feverishly; it's protective OtterBox
    was thrown in the deal...Great freebies!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I have that same case and color for my iPhone 5. I got it about 4 months ago. I can't believe that I waited so long to get it and now I'm prob gonna upgrade today for the 6 or 6 plus.

I used to buy the Speck cases and use the zagg screen covers. Although that worked great and kept my phone safe and good, I absolutely love the otter box defender case and belt clip.

Thanks for the review! When I upgrade I'm buying the case also

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to hear your thoughts. I never heard about OtterBox, but now I'll recommend it to my friends and family to at least, take a look at it. Seems great!

Thanks for review!

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome review !!! I have been having problems finding Iphone 6's in my area . I am looking for a 64 gig Space Gray. I have been to Radio Shack, Best Buy, and ATT with no luck.

Worse case I can order it and get it in 2 weeks. Thankfully I am not in any rush.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post

I'm sure someone is going to ask...My screen saver on my phone has been Barbara Stanwyck from Stella Dallas (1937) for some time now.

I prefer "Double Indemnity".

Beauty and brains: she was an admirer of Ayn Rand!

Thanks for the review.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review!

My iPhone 6+ showed up at work this morning and my case was waiting at home when I got there for lunch.

I've always kept my phone naked as I don't like the size of the bigger cases, but given the larger size of the 6+, and increased chance of dropping it, I picked up a Spigen case for it that doesn't add much to the thickness. No where near the protection of the OtterBox, but it suits my needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review!
    I just don't like the case, it might be the best out there for protection but man it's ugly! Why to hide the beauty of the iPhone under this bulky ugly box?!
    IMO unless you work in a construction site or used to drop your phone very often, there could be other cases with good enough protection for normal everyday use and abuse and with better design and look.
    That's just my opinion, enjoy your new iPhone with the new case.. Mine is on the way, with Apple leather case..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast