autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Deja vu all over again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Thought it would be cool idea to use the skin and have my gunleather guy make me another holster, or perhaps a belt. Sounds good..... right?
    Left me with the head if that counts.
    Hope you have a derringer or a very slim waist

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no issues with snakes but I'm super freaked out by poisonous anything. I love my quiet low risk Northeast Ohio for bugs and snakes.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take my opossum friends that come and visit me every other night while I'm out smoking you can keep the copperheads.
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOlved View Post
    I'll take my opossum friends that come and visit me every other night while I'm out smoking you can keep the copperheads.
    Yeah I'll take the black bear here over the copperheads as well.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my waist wouldn't have been a problem (even a gun belt isn't but 38") but the snake skin alone was a good 30" after the head and smallest part of the tail was cut off. (If I'd gotten to cut the tail off before the hawk got it.)

Actually... I don't have a derringer, never got into those. But.... I have plenty of others.
    Thought I might get my leather guy to make me a rig for my XDM 3.8, or likely it'd been for an old friend, a S&W full frame 439 nickel plated that was one of my first guns. Carried that puppy for 20 years and she still looks great.

Carry a Kimber Ultra Carry TLE-II as my daily carry in a "City Slicker" IWB from Ryan Grizzle @ R Grizzle Leatherworks, he's up in the N. Georgia mountains and is one really nice guy, great Christian fellow as well.

And this one is my daughters rig. The gun is a Kimber Super Carry Pro. Holster rig is a full custom that Ryan and I spent 2 months sending emails, me doing full size mechanical drawings, phone calls, working back and forth with ideas, Ryan making a couple of dry runs to figure out a flexible paddle WITH adjustable cant, and we ended up with this.

The full exterior is Havana Elephant with Quill Ostrich trim, smooth Calfskin lined, adjustable cant (tilt), flexible paddle with gray suede backing (makes it VERY comfortable). And it has an inscription from me to her behind the holster, the kind of thing that makes a Daddy and his little girl tear up. It's not her daily carry (that's a 2-tone Ruger SR9c), but it is ONE SEXY rig. Needless to say she's a sexy girl when it's all strapped on.

It would have been a thought to dispatch a copperhead with a firearm, but I didn't want to miss in the garage and put my eye out.... And I especially didn't want to have to clean a weapon just for a friggin snake.

Oh we get Possums, and even Armadillos in the roads, even in the subdivision roads... and Deer, and an occasional Wild Boar down by the creek. Even have a few Fox around lately. In fact that was a big news story on the Atlanta stations (we're 35 miles south) about rabid Fox's killing and/or biting animals in the area this summer. There is a subdivision on the other side of the creek (about a mile away as the crow flies) that had numerous sightings and the local authorities had rabies signs up for a couple months, keep your dogs and cats in, watch small children and such. Weird to see the news trucks down here with their booms up, doing live broadcasts for sure!

Had it been a Rat snake, or a Corn snake (and we've seen those 5'+) CarMomma wouldn't have gotten me out of bed. She'd taken a broom (or TEN) and lifted it up and carried it out to the back yard. She's a pretty tough girl. Just don't let a cockroach run across the floor!!!!! (There'll be squealing aplenty!)

But yeah... I'm with y'all... I *HATE* snakes, especially poisonous ones!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Oh my waist wouldn't have been a problem (even a gun belt isn't but 38") but the snake skin alone was a good 30" after the head and smallest part of the tail was cut off. (If I'd gotten to cut the tail off before the hawk got it.)

Actually... I don't have a derringer, never got into those. But.... I have plenty of others.
    Thought I might get my leather guy to make me a rig for my XDM 3.8, or likely it'd been for an old friend, a S&W full frame 439 nickel plated that was one of my first guns. Carried that puppy for 20 years and she still looks great.

Carry a Kimber Ultra Carry TLE-II as my daily carry in a "City Slicker" IWB from Ryan Grizzle @ R Grizzle Leatherworks, he's up in the N. Georgia mountains and is one really nice guy, great Christian fellow as well.

And this one is my daughters rig. The gun is a Kimber Super Carry Pro. Holster rig is a full custom that Ryan and I spent 2 months sending emails, me doing full size mechanical drawings, phone calls, working back and forth with ideas, Ryan making a couple of dry runs to figure out a flexible paddle WITH adjustable cant, and we ended up with this.

The full exterior is Havana Elephant with Quill Ostrich trim, smooth Calfskin lined, adjustable cant (tilt), flexible paddle with gray suede backing (makes it VERY comfortable). And it has an inscription from me to her behind the holster, the kind of thing that makes a Daddy and his little girl tear up. It's not her daily carry (that's a 2-tone Ruger SR9c), but it is ONE SEXY rig. Needless to say she's a sexy girl when it's all strapped on.

It would have been a thought to dispatch a copperhead with a firearm, but I didn't want to miss in the garage and put my eye out.... And I especially didn't want to have to clean a weapon just for a friggin snake.

Oh we get Possums, and even Armadillos in the roads, even in the subdivision roads... and Deer, and an occasional Wild Boar down by the creek. Even have a few Fox around lately. In fact that was a big news story on the Atlanta stations (we're 35 miles south) about rabid Fox's killing and/or biting animals in the area this summer. There is a subdivision on the other side of the creek (about a mile away as the crow flies) that had numerous sightings and the local authorities had rabies signs up for a couple months, keep your dogs and cats in, watch small children and such. Weird to see the news trucks down here with their booms up, doing live broadcasts for sure!

Had it been a Rat snake, or a Corn snake (and we've seen those 5'+) CarMomma wouldn't have gotten me out of bed. She'd taken a broom (or TEN) and lifted it up and carried it out to the back yard. She's a pretty tough girl. Just don't let a cockroach run across the floor!!!!! (There'll be squealing aplenty!)

But yeah... I'm with y'all... I *HATE* snakes, especially poisonous ones!
    Nice

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

looks like excellent craftsmanship

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonS View Post
    looks like excellent craftsmanship
    Yeah I agree Brandon, Ryan's work is as good as anything I've ever seen.

Look at his site, make sure to check out "Kays Tooling" there as well. His wife is really good at it!

With my daughter's rig, he made the first one and called me wanting to make tje paddle over. Being as it's adjustable, the front screw had a slot and he noticed at full forward cant it pushed down into the belt, raising the holster maybe 1/4".

That wasn't acceptable to him so he put the slot in back, and made it where whem at full cant the back came up instead of the front dropping down.

He had made one and wasn't totally thrilled and refused to ship it.

On top of that.... after I got hers I told him (with her Cerakote gun at least and it fully loaded) that when I flipped it upside down and shook it that I could get the weapon to fall out. Didn't happen with any of my other 1911's just hers. (Because the holster is smooth calfskin lined is why it happened.)

That didnt really bother me, just wanted him to be aware of it. Yet Ryan made ANOTHER ONE and sent it to me! (Thats 3 in all, plus the 2 cowhide prototypes.)

All in it was something like $320 if I remember. Just wanted my baby girl to have something special that she would never buy for herself. Thought thst Christmas I might "win" and be her hero jist one last time before she got serious about (her then boyfriend being as she was 24) figuring we might not have her around much longer.

Low and behold; 2 days before Christmas, about 10:15 at night CarMomma took out the trash and in comes the boyfriend with her (baby girl was at work).

I looked at her, she at me, us at him.... yep.... we KNEW where this conversation was headed.

Sure enough, he was asking to marry her. Seriously!!!!!???? Said "Well I have this ring". Say WHAT? "Does she know" I asked? "NO, SHE DOES NOT!", he said. "My Mom helped me pick it out, I've had it since Thanksgiving, trying to find the right time to ask her. But Mom said I needed to ask you first!"

Told the boy his MOM WAS RIGHT!

But he did good, couple karats, marquis cut, diamonds on the band, and platinum no less!

So NO I didn't "win" Christmas of 2012.

Post Thanks / Like

My parents live in Lake Park,Ga and they get their fair share of rattlers roaming around. Luckily for them they have 2 Catahoula Leopard dogs that are just plain awesome at killing snakes and are up 2 deer this year. Sucks they kill the deer at night and eat it all before day break. They don't share deer for anything lol.
    If you live in the country I would definitely recommend having Catahoula's running around. They keep the property they live on clear of intruding animals and human.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast