autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Auto Detailing
    I would hate to have a desktop in college. Both my girl friend and roommate have one, pain in the ass!
    That's a pretty good point. However, I didn't have a laptop until I graduated from college. I was always the student who hated carrying a backpack around, I would always have my stuff in my hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    well i dont personally care between the desktop or a laptop but after thinking about gary's idea on getting a laptop and then a monitor that to me sounds like an amazing idea...

Post Thanks / Like
    I am looking to get a new laptop as well. I am on my Dell 600M right now, and I don't like it that much. It has a ton of problems! I am thinking I will get a Toshiba or a Macbook Pro. The thing about the Macbook Pro is that I would be installing windows anyways so I don't know if it is worth the premium.

odysseus
    i use a laptop to school. but it was my grad present, so i cant help. i got wireless and dude thats the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha. Didn't realize you were the same dude from 8thcivic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're going to build use:

Pricewatch | Lower prices on computers, laptops, mp3 players, motherboards, computer parts and electronics

They give a price comparison amongst most of the internet dealers. Make sure you check out

Compare Prices and Read Customer Reviews at ResellerRatings.com

before you purchase though. It'll give you a clue as to what dealers to stay away from, because there are some shady ones out there.

If you want something you won't have to upgrade in a couple of years, then I would look at going DDR3 for memory, and SAS hard drive. It all depends on how much you're wanting to spend too. The new Nvidia video card will run you almost $750 by itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get a Dell XPS since you want to play games and have HD, since you dont know much about computers thats your best bet, I build my won computers as well but DELL is VERY good for what it is.
    2000 Dodge Durango 5.9L 4wd

Post Thanks / Like
    Being a computer technician. I'd say buy an ASUS laptop.
    They are the only "make" aside from ours, that we will sell.

Post Thanks / Like
    The video card memory is not that important. The video card processor is more important. ATI right now has nothing good to offer really.....unless u pay out of your rear. Look at what nvidia has to offer. You will need a HD capable video card. Also your monitor needs to be HD capable. Do a lot of research (google for reviews) on potential monitors. A lot of them say HD capable, but they are not actuallly.....

Core 2 duo is where to be. Make sure you get a decent motherboard. I personally recommend Asus. Most higher end motherboards these days have built in 7.1 channel sound cards and gigabit nic's built in as well.

I would recommend a 500 gig HD. the price difference between a 250 to 500 is nil. If you are going to be downloading movies (especially HD movies, then you will fill that 250 up faster than you can wash your car).

For ram, the core 2 duo's don't make use of the faster DDR2-800 ram. Go for DDR2-677 . Many reviews support this statement. The bus on the boards for the core 2 duo's are not that great.

If you plan to upgrade your cpu down the road, get a board that uses the Intel P35 Chipset. THis will support the new upcoming chips coming from intel.

If you need further information, feel free to PM me. I just recently bought a new cpu,board,ram,vid and HD for my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan
    How about you call my ext in the morning and I will personally take care of you.

Post Thanks / Like
    So... Which are you looking for? a laptop or a desktop. As an I.T. professional / computer geek I'd be happy to help but your questions are pretty broad.

What are the needs of the college student? Will you need to purchase software? If you don't already have copies of an OS and office apps building your own PC isn't always the cheapest way to go.

My current home PC:
    CPU: Core 2 Duo 6400 (stock is 2.1Ghz but I've overclocked it to 2.66!)
    Memory: 2 GB (that's gigabytes rather than Ghz gigahertz - one is capacity one is speed)
    Power Supply (don't go cheap here! - think of like buying 80.00 wax and buffing with a cheap washclothe you found on the ground): 500 watt Antec.
    Video Card: 640 MB GeForce 8800 GTS - THIS CARD ROCKS for gaming.

Feel free to PM me. A great sight, with a great board for computer hardware is Tomshardware.net

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast