autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shoe Odor

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shoe Odor

I always used to suffer from stinky feet. Then I started wearing Crocs. problem solved.

Post Thanks / Like

Most sneakers have the sole insert glued in but you can pull it out anyway. Once you have it out wash it in your laundry. Wash it often. The key to keeping foot odor at bay in shoes is to make certain they completely dry before you wear them again. That may mean you have to purchase 2 pairs each time you need new shoes. Change your socks often. I carry an extra pair along with me and change them throughout the day if I'm away from home. You may need more than one pair. Keep your feet dry and your shoes dry. If your shoes get really wet wash them in the washer and dry them over your HVAC vent. Don't wear them until they are completely dry. I try not to wear them for 3 days on the HVAC vent. Every day when you take them off open them up wide so they can dry overnight. Pull the sole insert out every time you take them off so it can get completely dry. My shoes smell like they are new or better all the time. If they don't I wash them or wash the insert. Keep them dry dry dry. Keep your socks dry dry dry. I worked in the fire service and learned the hard way about stinky feet and stinky shoes. Sweat in some fire boots for a few hours then put those wet stinky socks into your shoes and you learn real quick about stink foot and shoes. That's when I learned about keeping extra socks with me. That's when I learned to pull my shoe inserts out and wash them. The shoes were leather so I couldn't wash them but keeping the soles washed and changing my socks frequently worked. I too used the dryer sheet from time to time in the leather shoe. Foot powders just don't work and can actually make it worse. If you have an aerosol spray you can spray your shoe each night after taking out the insole. It might smell a little like a bowling alley shoe but it's better than foot funk. Never put on a damp shoe or you're going to grow bacteria in it throughout the day. I should write a book on funky feet. Oh, never mind; I just did.

Post Thanks / Like

The activated carbon insoles always seem to do the job, and they are cheap too.

Around $17.00 for a pack of four pairs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Becciasm View Post
    OK Geeks..

Serious question for you all:

What have you found to combat shoe odor?

I'm open to any and all suggestions, even using Stripper Scent as needed.
    Stripper Scent is like cheap cologne! It smells so good but then less than a minute the order is back again!
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Try adding baking soda and switch shoes daily basis in order to let them air out between uses
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Try Gold Bond foot spray.... I would take my socks off previously and they would stink up the whole room after work.

Now, I spray my feet with the spray before work and after my socks still smell like Gain when I get home.

Washed my shoes in the washing machine and no issues any longer!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

zinc supplements. after a few days it helps with foot Odor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hazcat View Post
    Most sneakers have the sole insert glued in but you can pull it out anyway. Once you have it out wash it in your laundry. Wash it often. The key to keeping foot odor at bay in shoes is to make certain they completely dry before you wear them again. That may mean you have to purchase 2 pairs each time you need new shoes. Change your socks often. I carry an extra pair along with me and change them throughout the day if I'm away from home. You may need more than one pair. Keep your feet dry and your shoes dry. If your shoes get really wet wash them in the washer and dry them over your HVAC vent. Don't wear them until they are completely dry. I try not to wear them for 3 days on the HVAC vent. Every day when you take them off open them up wide so they can dry overnight. Pull the sole insert out every time you take them off so it can get completely dry. My shoes smell like they are new or better all the time. If they don't I wash them or wash the insert. Keep them dry dry dry. Keep your socks dry dry dry. I worked in the fire service and learned the hard way about stinky feet and stinky shoes. Sweat in some fire boots for a few hours then put those wet stinky socks into your shoes and you learn real quick about stink foot and shoes. That's when I learned about keeping extra socks with me. That's when I learned to pull my shoe inserts out and wash them. The shoes were leather so I couldn't wash them but keeping the soles washed and changing my socks frequently worked. I too used the dryer sheet from time to time in the leather shoe. Foot powders just don't work and can actually make it worse. If you have an aerosol spray you can spray your shoe each night after taking out the insole. It might smell a little like a bowling alley shoe but it's better than foot funk. Never put on a damp shoe or you're going to grow bacteria in it throughout the day. I should write a book on funky feet. Oh, never mind; I just did.

haha yes, you did.. The Definitive Manual for Shoe Odor Removal by Hazcat!

solid tips! thank you - I have several pairs of shoes, so I'll start an insole detailing regimen pronto.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    The activated carbon insoles always seem to do the job, and they are cheap too.

Around $17.00 for a pack of four pairs.
    Thanks Oldmodman - where do you find those? Are the odor-eater insoles with activated carbon what you are referring to, or do you have a specific make/model in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by aztec1987 View Post
    Stripper Scent is like cheap cologne! It smells so good but then less than a minute the order is back again!
    Haha - Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by aztec1987 View Post
    Try adding baking soda and switch shoes daily basis in order to let them air out between uses
    I am trying the baking soda/dryer sheets/washing the insoles tip.

Quote Originally Posted by b0b View Post
    Try Gold Bond foot spray.... I would take my socks off previously and they would stink up the whole room after work.

Now, I spray my feet with the spray before work and after my socks still smell like Gain when I get home.

Washed my shoes in the washing machine and no issues any longer!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    I'll check out a foot spray again, but I've not ever had good results

Quote Originally Posted by dabirdz View Post
    zinc supplements. after a few days it helps with foot Odor
    Nice. thanks - i didn't think about supplementation as a means for foot odor reduction.
    I believe in becoming who I am (Translation: You learn everyday.)
    <-Bubba

Post Thanks / Like

Hazcat hit it. You must rotate shoes and keep feet dry. A side effect is that yourshoes should last much longer as they aren't being constantly compressed by your weight every day.

Believe it or not, the sun is very effective at neutralizing biological smells, UV rays break down most odors and kill the bacteria that create them.

The other thing you can be careful of: wash your feet more thoroughly, and dry them thoroughly before slipping into socks and shoes. Crazy as it sounds, it's not a bad idea to get a pedicure to remove the dead skin the bacteria feeds on and the cracks in your feet they hide in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Just as armpits do...
    Feet also have a plethora of sweat glands:

Bob
    Preachin to the choir, sir.

I believe in becoming who I am (Translation: You learn everyday.)
    <-Bubba

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123