autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Got a ticket need adivice

A few months ago i got a ticket in CA. I live in NV and was traviling home from CA when i got pulled over. I ended up getting a ticket for my tail lights being tinted. Now when i tinted my tail lights i used a paint that is very transparent. CA is very strict with tail light laws but NV doesnt really care. The law in NV states that a break light must be visible from 300 feet which mine are. Heres the kicker though. When i got the ticket i wasnt even driving. On top of that the CHP wrote the ticket for the wrong violation. Its now a ticket for $658.83 which i think is ridiculous. CA deficit isnt my problem so to charge such an outrageous amount is extortion IMO. So im going to plea not guilty by trial of written declaration. For those who have experience do you think i have grounds to plea not guilty?

Heres some facts as stated above for those who read this quickly. Got ticket for tail lights, i wasnt the one driving although i was in the car, lights are compliant in the state in which i live, cop wrote the wrong violation on the ticket. The violation he wrote down pertains to interior lights altered to impersonate a police officer or something to that effect.

What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got a ticket need adivice

IF he wrote you the tickets for interior lights then I'd definitely contest it and say he must have meant to write you one for tinted tails. It is your car which is why you would get the ticket(in MD its a fix it style ticket so the owner has to fix it).

Post Thanks / Like
    I know for tinted windows it's whatever the legal limit the state you're in when you get the ticket not where the car is registered. Not sure if tail lights are the same. However I've gotten tickets dismissed for improper written info. I'm just Confused, if the ticket is written as the wrong violation how will the court believe you if you tell them it was for tail lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Get a lawyer or pay the fine. It doesn't matter what's legal in NV, you were in Cali.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like
    Shoulda tried a bribe. A fifty spot will get you outta a lot of jambs up my way.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say don't pay and stay out of California

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Docpeanut View Post
    I'd say don't pay and stay out of California
    Bad advice, they'll issue a warrant and if he goes back to Cali and gets pulled over it's off to jail.

What is a Failure to Pay Fine or Comply with a Court Order?

If you do not pay your fine or comply with an order of the court (example: failure to obey an order to perform community service) before the date the court gave you, you may be guilty of a misdemeanor.

Avoid additional fees and legal action, which may include a warrant for your arrest, by taking action before your fine or court order is past due. You can obtain an extension to pay your fine or comply with a court order. You can also pay your fine in installments.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Get a lawyer or pay the fine. It doesn't matter what's legal in NV, you were in Cali.

So if I am driving my vehicle registered in Florida, which allows for window tint, in California and California does not allow for any window tint, I am able to receive a citation for illegal window tint?
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my opinion and it's strictly mine. If you weren't violating a traffic law I don't see how he could write you up for an equipment violation unless you had say a burned out light. That would be like ldriving in a state where your car has to have a safety inspection and you drive over the border and the cop writes you a ticket for even though your state doesn't require it. I don't know how California is but here in PA if you have tinted windows and Florida plates they can't bother you for that. Once again JMHO. I would have to do some serious research on this if I were you.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    So if I am driving my vehicle registered in Florida, which allows for window tint, in California and California does not allow for any window tint, I am able to receive a citation for illegal window tint?
    My car(my avatar) is registered in MD and I was driving through VA. I got pulled over for my tint which is 20%(yes illegal in MD too). The cops reading came out as 13% total and advised he could write a ticket, also it is a probable cause stop as well. I asked even if my car is registered in MD, to which he replied if I drove drunk in VA I could get a ticket even if I am from MD. I didn't argue his ignorant point and he let me go with a warning.

To the OP I would fight it. I gout out of a nasty speed ticket 85 in a 45 in Illinois because the officer wrote my DL num wrong and the Judge had to throw it out, granted he reprimanded the officer and was made doing so.
    Detailing is a way of life, not a hobby!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast