autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Speedy Prep towel (fine grade) and the "baggie test"...read before buying!

So I bought the Speedy Prep towel during the Christmas sale and have used it a couple times but this past weekend we had our Chicagoland Detail Day and learned something! What I learned was to do the "baggie test"! Now I should've known better but I've always blown off this test. I used the Speedy Prep towel on our donor car and could hear the grit and heard it smooth out, so I thought I was good to go, that was until Paul (2old2change) asked me if I had done the "baggie test" and said, what the heck, let's see what this is all about. To my surprises the grit was there when doing the "baggie test" but to the bare hand it was smooth, what the heck!! The next day I clayed my car, rewashed and applied a coat of AW, much better!

So here's my question, what the hell do I do with a $60.00 towel that was supposed to replace clay? Should I have gotten a medium grade? I was thinking to use the Speedy Prep towel as part of maintence now, seeing as I do rinseless washes maybe I should just do a quick wipe every wash or maybe once a week, what's your thoughts guys/gals? Feel free to have at it with this one, could save someone a lot of money as these towels aren't cheap, they are convienent but not a replacement for clay IMO!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like
    $60 dollars is alot for a clay subsitute though buying a meduim grade may have been better but snice you have a fine grade I would use it every other wash wiether two buckets or rinseless method

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesboyy View Post
    $60 dollars is alot for a clay subsitute though buying a meduim grade may have been better but snice you have a fine grade I would use it every other wash wiether two buckets or rinseless method
    Yeah I agree James and I hope that someone looking to buy this just gets the medium grade. Maybe someone with a medium grade can chime in and let us know how it works.

Btw I paid $45.00 during the Christmas sale but even still, wish I knew what I know now, hopefully someone else benefits from my experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't want it, I'll take it from you.

Sent from my HTC One using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Speedy Prep towel (fine grade) and the "baggie test"...read before buying!

Remember that all paint surfaces are not the same. You have a range from super soft to extremely hard. That and various types of contamination require different grades of the towel , pad or clay. I envy those that only do their personal automobile. Once they dial a process in they know what their car needs unlike a business that caters to the public. Regardless of which product you use , remember it only needs to be done when the test reveals the contamination. Feel free to pm me for my mailing address. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for all the information again Paul appreciate it. I will be keeping my speedyprep tell if you use for maintenance as well as doing paint decontamination . I actually use the speedy prepped all is well as the clay bar this morning when doing my buddy Hectours Mazda 3.

I guess I would advise someone 2 maybe consider the speedyprep towel medium grade if you are going to be using it on a car that hasn't been well taken care of because in my opinion the final grade is for light contamination.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad I bought the fine and med sponges then!

Post Thanks / Like
    ...and this is all because of the "baggie test" because to the human, bare hand its smooth as hell when using the fine grade, crazy!

How did the "baggie test" come to be and why does it work?

Post Thanks / Like

I originally learned of the " baggie test " from Mike Phillips about 2005-6 at a Meguiar's Road Show in Indianapolis . Mike may be able to supply more info. My guess to why it works is the plastic acts as a membrane so to speak that magnifies the feeling compared to the bare hand. I have discovered the thinner the bag the better it reads the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind, too, the state of that donor car before you throw in the towel. I wasn't surprised at the results of the baggie test. If we had the time, I would have Iron X'd it, as well.

2009 Ford Fusion SEL AWD
    3.0L V6, Tein H-Tech springs, Whiteline RSB, 35% Tints, HD Lip, Magnaflow Axle Back
    2015 Ford Fusion 2.0 Ecoboost AWD

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast