autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Life After The Military????

I myself am not facing getting booted but I just bothers me to see what is currently going on. The military is broke and its not looking good for these next couple years. So I'm looking out now and getting out while i can. I am a fuels troop (POL) and have minor accounting experience, dispatch experience, and minor fuel systems maint. experience and have an associates in logistics/ business mgt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airforce1 View Post
    The reserves are sounding great right about now..
    I retired from the AirForce Reserves as an ART 911Th AW. The reserves do alot more now, deployments and such. Its not the one weekend a month and 15 days a year.

It did give me a nice pension with some benefits. Now I just lurk here on AG

Good luck on your choice.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

I always get amused when the military gets brought up. Mainly because I wasn't accepted, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Army

Post Thanks / Like

I respect and appreciate everything that you all have done for this country. Hearing that good peoples heads are rolling due to budget cuts causes alarm. If I was putting my life on the line on a daily basis and this was happening I would come up with an exit plan too

Post Thanks / Like

OP, you are not alone. I have over 10 in now and have really thought about getting out with everything going on in the military. I feel the exact same way as you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    If I was putting my life on the line on a daily basis and this was happening I would come up with an exit plan too
    Exactly!

Post Thanks / Like

5 years in the marines and the few employers I've had since I've gotten out love to hire vets. In fact most of my bosses are vets as well so it's easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airforce1 View Post
    I myself am not facing getting booted but I just bothers me to see what is currently going on. The military is broke and its not looking good for these next couple years. So I'm looking out now and getting out while i can. I am a fuels troop (POL) and have minor accounting experience, dispatch experience, and minor fuel systems maint. experience and have an associates in logistics/ business mgt.
    The sad part is, this isn't the first time the AF has gone down this road. I didn't leave the active duty because I wanted to...I was RIF'd. Back in 2008 they swung the axe and wiped out a significant portion of my year group in my career field. Why they thought it was a good idea to wipe out all of their combat experienced communications/cyber leadership is still beyond me.

Fortunately, the timing was about perfect for me. I was able to get a good job before my terminal leave ran out and I only had a two-day gap in employment.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Making the decision to ETS was a harder choice than joining the Army. “What am I going to do now?” was the biggest question I had. As stated in previous posts on this thread, there are many military friendly companies. Don’t be afraid to do something that you didn’t think you would be good at. The training that you have had over the past 8 years is second to none. Employers will see that you are adaptable and hard working. Take advantage of the resume writing, interview, and job searching classes they provide. If you have leadership that are able to write memorandums of service on your behalf, that will help as well. When you get to where ever you make your home, reach out to the local veterans groups if you need help acclimating to civilian life. No one understands the feeling better than those who have been there.
    Trey
    Autogeek
    Customer Service
    Tech Support
    1-800-869-3011 Ext. 243

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bates Detailing View Post
    I did one term in AF working on F-16s and yes sir there is plenty outside the military. My ex-wife is an E-7 in the Airforce and has her Masters Degree in something but she is scared to get out. I think as with anything, the longer you stay in an occupation the harder it is to get out cause of the comfort you feel knowing what to expect. Yes sir, there is a life away from the military that many make work for them..... if they can do it, you can do it better.

Nice to see another member in Aviation. I work on 64 Echos (Apaches). I know theres employers looking out for me, hell I have a few potential offers with LM. I plan to stay and retire. Money isnt an issue, I dont get paid a whole lot but I get free housing, health, quality of life and I get to wear the uniform of the best military in the world. To some, thats more important.

Hooah!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast