autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't you just hate it when....

Intia new customer call this week, not wanting anything big but you never know what will happen after the fact.

So it turns out she has an 02 BMW 5 Series and wanted a thorough interior and a VERY BASIC wash. Seems she is trading the car in tomorrow.

So she brings me the vehicle today (late because she had to take her Mother to tje doctor). Body was in decent enough shape, but the car is RIDDLED with trouble areas front to back, side to side.

It honestly is a clean car, in light metallic blue and just needs attention and some TLC. It has just over 152k on it but the paint, shy of a minor side swipe over the LR wheel could EASILY be buffed to perfection. No other big dings and just a few RIDS, albeit covered with swirls and the trunk was SERIOUSLY covered with water spots.

Mechanically however it IS A MESS! Both front seats need new electrics, even the gearing is messed up. The RF seat will recline ONLY next to the console! The door side stays in place! Drivers seat is missing buttons and has a tiny white plastic nub that still works, forward and backwards ONLY (nothing else).

Leather on the drivers seat is worn beyond any dye that WAS on it, (but could be repaired with a new dye job).

Power steering pump is moaning for all its worth.

Check brake lights warning is lit on the dash.

Looks like the LR caliper has been sticking and TRASHED the LR wheel! When the rest are totally nick and curb rash free.

BOTH right side windows were wedged up in place with cardboard!

And NO I didn't open the hood! Wasn't getting paid to stir up that hornets nest!

Strangely enough.... while we were wiping it down, the LF halo lighting came on, along with the LR taillight. NO KEY was in it, and the lights were NOT turned on.

But the "don't you just hate it" part was the windshield. The ENTIRE surround gasket is horribly damaged from neglect and UV damage. Its dry rotted and cracked all the way around.

So when the car arrived the owner was quick to point out the seat problems and the window problems but left it at that. She did say there was a big noise in the front but she didn't know what it was.

So anyhow, I started doing the VIF and she was in a hurry (as usual) so I had her sign off on our paperwork. (Which includes a contract and release of liability, insurance notice, etc. )

As I get to working around the vehicle I noticed the windshield was cracked. Asked my son if she said anything to him about it, (nope she didn't).

Now how big it was when it got here versus after it sat in the sun with the windows closed is a different story. Bottom line is I noticed it, and put it on the VIF.

She was a VERY happy customer when she got here. Couldn't believe the turn around. And this just so she could trade it in tomorrow for a new INFINITI G37 Sedan. Which she was saying she was bringing for a coating.

Which BTW..... They will NEVER give her more than wholesale for, just too rough all over mechanically (plus the minor body damage) but when she finally noticed the windshield crack you'd have thought it was in PERFECT shape HEAD TO TOE!

Don't you just hate it?

I can just hear her now. Probably trying to figure out how to file an insurance claim for a new windshield.

Google "my windshield cracked while parked" or "my windshield cracked for no reason".

Now.... Don't you just hate it!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Don't you just hate it when....

...and that is why never own a BMW out of warranty

I'm bad for not realizing stuff until after I get my car back. The other day I had to take it in for a recall. I knew the center shifter trim and cup holders and all that had to come out. I knew how to take it out but figured I would let the people getting paid to do it. But before that I take a bunch of pictures of it so I know whether or not they put any scratches on it or not. I get it back, see a few nicks on it. My initial reaction is whoa, those weren't there. Pull up my pictures, and yep, they sure were there! That's my way of getting around being a pain in the butt to everyone
    2012 Toyota Camry SE | 2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds ugly I dread the nightmare whoever is the next owner of this fine automobile is in for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Intia new customer call this week, not wanting anything big but you never know what will happen after the fact.

So it turns out she has an 02 BMW 5 Series and wanted a thorough interior and a VERY BASIC wash. Seems she is trading the car in tomorrow.

So she brings me the vehicle today (late because she had to take her Mother to tje doctor). Body was in decent enough shape, but the car is RIDDLED with trouble areas front to back, side to side.

It honestly is a clean car, in light metallic blue and just needs attention and some TLC. It has just over 152k on it but the paint, shy of a minor side swipe over the LR wheel could EASILY be buffed to perfection. No other big dings and just a few RIDS, albeit covered with swirls and the trunk was SERIOUSLY covered with water spots.

Mechanically however it IS A MESS! Both front seats need new electrics, even the gearing is messed up. The RF seat will recline ONLY next to the console! The door side stays in place! Drivers seat is missing buttons and has a tiny white plastic nub that still works, forward and backwards ONLY (nothing else).

Leather on the drivers seat is worn beyond any dye that WAS on it, (but could be repaired with a new dye job).

Power steering pump is moaning for all its worth.

Check brake lights warning is lit on the dash.

Looks like the LR caliper has been sticking and TRASHED the LR wheel! When the rest are totally nick and curb rash free.

BOTH right side windows were wedged up in place with cardboard!

And NO I didn't open the hood! Wasn't getting paid to stir up that hornets nest!

Strangely enough.... while we were wiping it down, the LF halo lighting came on, along with the LR taillight. NO KEY was in it, and the lights were NOT turned on.

But the "don't you just hate it" part was the windshield. The ENTIRE surround gasket is horribly damaged from neglect and UV damage. Its dry rotted and cracked all the way around.

So when the car arrived the owner was quick to point out the seat problems and the window problems but left it at that. She did say there was a big noise in the front but she didn't know what it was.

So anyhow, I started doing the VIF and she was in a hurry (as usual) so I had her sign off on our paperwork. (Which includes a contract and release of liability, insurance notice, etc. )

As I get to working around the vehicle I noticed the windshield was cracked. Asked my son if she said anything to him about it, (nope she didn't).

Now how big it was when it got here versus after it sat in the sun with the windows closed is a different story. Bottom line is I noticed it, and put it on the VIF.

She was a VERY happy customer when she got here. Couldn't believe the turn around. And this just so she could trade it in tomorrow for a new INFINITI G37 Sedan. Which she was saying she was bringing for a coating.

Which BTW..... They will NEVER give her more than wholesale for, just too rough all over mechanically (plus the minor body damage) but when she finally noticed the windshield crack you'd have thought it was in PERFECT shape HEAD TO TOE!

Don't you just hate it?

I can just hear her now. Probably trying to figure out how to file an insurance claim for a new windshield.

Google "my windshield cracked while parked" or "my windshield cracked for no reason".

Now.... Don't you just hate it!
    All the more reason I don't use Vehicle Inspection Forms. Your lucky she didn't jam you for a windshield

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hear ya'!

Obviously she had taken care of the car 'cosmetically'. Although that only consisted of washing and whatever the BMW dealership sold her to put on her wheels to fight off brake dust.
    But mechanically it has just too many things that developed quicker than she could (afford to) fix them.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatAvalon View Post
    ...and that is why never own a BMW out of warranty

I'm bad for not realizing stuff until after I get my car back. The other day I had to take it in for a recall. I knew the center shifter trim and cup holders and all that had to come out. I knew how to take it out but figured I would let the people getting paid to do it. But before that I take a bunch of pictures of it so I know whether or not they put any scratches on it or not. I get it back, see a few nicks on it. My initial reaction is whoa, those weren't there. Pull up my pictures, and yep, they sure were there! That's my way of getting around being a pain in the butt to everyone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOlved View Post
    Sounds ugly I dread the nightmare whoever is the next owner of this fine automobile is in for.
    It'll go straight to a wholesale auction. Not even a 'tote your note' lot would be caught with THAT thing "as is".... WOW! The windshield is the LEAST of the worries.

Heck, at one point the left front halo light and parking light came on along with the left rear parking light.

Problem is.... THE KEY WASN'T IN THE SWITCH and the lights were not on!!!!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like
    You got me there Flash.

The VIF isn't there for the customer, its there for ME. I note the damages, the customer signs off on them.

If a customer doesn't want to, or care to go over the vehicle they still sign.
    I also have a contract for scope of services, terms of employment, taxes, general liability release, "hold harmless" statements, etc etc.

The VIF is just part of the toolbox that protects the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    All the more reason I don't use Vehicle Inspection Forms. Your lucky she didn't jam you for a windshield

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

It'll go straight to a wholesale auction. Not even a 'tote your note' lot would be caught with THAT thing "as is".... WOW! The windshield is the LEAST of the worries.

Heck, at one point the left front halo light and parking light came on along with the left rear parking light.

Problem is.... THE KEY WASN'T IN THE SWITCH and the lights were not on!!!!

Some European cars will keep the parking light/turn signal (F) and turn signal (R) illuminated solid if the turn signal lever is "clicked" to that side - no key, and no other lights being "on"... they have a use for it in Europe but I'm not sure what it is...

The halo light being on sounds weird though. Whatever - thing sounds like it was a basket case!
    '06 Audi A4

Post Thanks / Like

You got me there Flash.

The VIF isn't there for the customer, its there for ME. I note the damages, the customer signs off on them.

If a customer doesn't want to, or care to go over the vehicle they still sign.
    I also have a contract for scope of services, terms of employment, taxes, general liability release, "hold harmless" statements, etc etc.

The VIF is just part of the toolbox that protects the process.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AG Online
    I've never used these forms and never will. IMO it's impossible to find every flaw on a walk around (especially while the car is dirty) IMO you are setting yourself up for a lawsuit/expensive lesson by practicing this method

I look for dents, curb rash and check engine lites. That's all I'm concerned with

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phens82 View Post
    Some European cars will keep the parking light/turn signal (F) and turn signal (R) illuminated solid if the turn signal lever is "clicked" to that side - no key, and no other lights being "on"... they have a use for it in Europe but I'm not sure what it is...

The halo light being on sounds weird though. Whatever - thing sounds like it was a basket case!
    That might have been it. The halo wasn't the full headlight, just the little running light around the low beam. I got the key, turn it, turned the lights on and off, pulled the key out and everything went off. I'm just glad it made it out of the darned driveway!

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I've never used these forms and never will. IMO it's impossible to find every flaw on a walk around (especially while the car is dirty) IMO you are setting yourself up for a lawsuit/expensive lesson by practicing this method

I look for dents, curb rash and check engine lites. That's all I'm concerned with
    I look for all that too, but if you see that, and the owner says it wasn't there, then whaddya' do? I mean I'm not worried about every little nick, but if a wheel is damaged, or there is a sideswipe hiding underneath the dirt, (like on this one... which she DID NOT point out btw) then it's good to have it signed.

Thing is, Google something like "My windshield broke for no reason" and you'll see it happens all the darned time. Stress cracks just happen. Nothing you or I would possibly do in the process of washing a car (not even buffing) with foam and a hose that'd break a windshield. My wife told her when she said something about it, "It looks like that car is telling you it REALLY IS TIME to trade it in." I understand she may have not seen it before, and that it can get bigger just sitting in the sun, but that doesn't mean it happened *because* we touched it, just that it happened period. Were it not on that VIF, you are right, she might have tried and stuck us with a new windshield. She signed twice btw, once when she left the car, again when she picked it up. B-nis is bi-ness.

I ran a business for 18 years transporting cars, most often without the owners written permission. Like when you pick it up at an impound yard and take it to a body shop, or at their home and take it to a dealership. When you start hauling a Rolls in from NC to Atlanta for a 7,000 mile service and NOBODY was there to go over the car when you picked it up it'll make your rear end draw up quite a bit.

Call Innercity, Reliable, Horseless Carriage, Passport Transport or anyone else that handles expensive vehicles on a daily basis. You'll not get them off your property, WITH your property until everything has been checked, checked, and rechecked and you sign off on it.

Old, (and safe) habits die hard.