autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys talking Towels - Bulk or One Off - Good Bad or Ugly

As of late, we had a VERY productive discussion pertaining to (of all things) Microfiber Towels.

Although it was brought to my attention that our knowledgeable, open, and VERY HELPFUL discussion, that had beem going on for weeks..... is no more.

Obviously what is the Army acronym? "SNAFU"

Yeah snafu thats it. Situation Normal All Farkled Up.

Gentleman, (and you too Kitty er: Monica) the one thing we cannot survive without is a quality selection of microfiber towels.

With that, we share our experience and knowledge about all things detailing. Including manufacturers, brand names,
    and sources where we find all our goodies.

Beyond that; reviews and independent reliable input are the heart and soul of what makes a detailing community work.

Remove the politics, stray away from (direct) pricing, ANY outside website links and all other discussion (up until recently it seems) has been welcome.

So with that.
    What ARE your favorite towels?
    Why? What works and what doesn't?
    What do you compare them to?
    Would you recommend them to your friends or customers? (Because of cost or because of performance? )

More importantly:

Are they affordable?

Where can they be found?

How did you end up finding them?

Having that reference point is exactly why we are all here. Without it, we've learned nothing. And quite possibly end up spending hard earned dollars on towels that we never should have bought.

Just kicking ideas out there. What's yours?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Guys talking Towels - Bulk or One Off - Good Bad or Ugly

I've fallen in love with the purple ones here. Supreme I think they are. They are super soft and they have two different nap lengths. They are the only towels that touch my paint. I use the longer side for qd and sprays and the shorter side for removal of product. I have some if the 530s but just don't feel the same to me.

My go to wash mitt is the CG dread style (lime green). I bought one to try a few months back and have recently ordered 2 more. Super soft and the old one, other than a ever so slight color change, feels still just as soft.

The inside gets a wide variety of towels but still all mf. I have the golds and some generic Cobra ones that came in a box package. I think yellow, green, and a weird blue one. The yellow I use on plastic, green on glass, and golds on nav screen and gauge cluster. Stuff that might scratch but I don't want scratched.

Those weird blue ones puzzle me. Only one side is usable. The edges are rolled under and no backing or anything and no nap on the back. I never had a good chore for them so I relegated then to wheel duty. Mainly the final wipes and removal of excess dressings.

Drying is a head scratcher for me. I have the Cobra weave ones. They work fine but just don't feel soft like I would expect. They honestly feel almost like my old megs drying towel. I use the Cobra because it's new. I started using a leaf blower some but don't always dry out all in time without spots. I mainly blow the crevices and wipe the rest.

My friends get to use my old supreme shines and megs mitts when I do there cars. They are still fine but I think I've graduated. Really prefer the feel of my others.

I have some really old (5 year) mothers towels that are strictly for exterior plastic and tire dressing wiping. As these age I plan for the golds to move into that spot.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like these towels when touching my paint with a mf towel.

Shine & Buff Waterless Wash Towel

or these

Edgeless Microfiber Quick Detail Towel

Post Thanks / Like
    My favorite towels are CARPRO BOA towels. Best towel I have ever used by far. I use them for paintwork only.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a lot of different towels from a lot of different vendors. Without getting into towels not sold at AG, I honestly think the best ALL AROUND paint towel is the purple 600gsm Cobra sold at AG.

It doesn't scratch or lint. I have some that have been washed many many times and they hold up very well. You can use them to buff anything off paint - and they have MF edges. You can use them for waterless or rinseless washes. Even the color holds up well after many washings.

If someone was looking for one towel to do everything on paint - I would get these. They aren't cheap , but they are good.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    I really like these towels when touching my paint with a mf towel.

Shine & Buff Waterless Wash Towel

or these

Edgeless Microfiber Quick Detail Towel

Ahhhh I agree with you Art, both of those are nice very nice. The first ones (that AG doesn't mention the GSM are 700's) they can be had from a vendor really close to you in fact. Blue/gray, blue/blue, gray/gray.

I recently got 40-ish and LOVE them!

The gray edgeless, aren't those the really flexible cloth, split fiber with open ends (instead of loops) that are ultrasonicly trimmed?

I'm thinking they are Korean 470 edgeless. Again, same vendor that is right near you. (Not in a retail store however.) I ended up with 51 of those recently and CarMomma LOVES them! Best ordering mistake I've ever been on the wrong side of actually!

Lets just say that both of your favorites can be had for A LOT LESS than 3/19.99! A whole lot less. Great towels indeed however.

Disclaimer: When I say "near you" thats all relative as they are in San Diego and I'm in Ga, so yeah.... near you.

Post Thanks / Like

By far the best bang for the buck here is these

Super Soft Deluxe Blue Microfiber Towels, microfiber detailing towels, buffing towels, micro fiber towel, detail cloth

these are a great all around paint towel at a decent price.
    last count I have around 10-11 dozen of these and I absolutely love them.

I/m a 16x16 guy and I really don't like large towels, so these fit for me.

I have many others here from ag and from some other venders....but I always reach for my rolled edge towels.
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

I am a proponent of segregating towels for specific uses, and am always on the hunt for new and different towels. Will focus on just a few.

Polish removal: My favorite here are the AG purple 600's, with the AG grey 530's a close second. Solid towels, middle range price, which is about $5-7 in my book. On AG for 3/$20, better with 15 or 20% off. I haven't used these for anything else, but given the quality they would likely work well for wax removal or QD.

Wax/sealant removal - MM crazy pile are far and away the best. And priced like it. Premium price - $11 each.

Sacrificial towels (wheels, engine, degreasing). Non-paint. Everyone should have some of the Costo golds. Super cheap price category. My marketing slogan for these would be "the best towels that you won't care about trashing." Great for waterless midweek wheel touchup.

As I was typing this, the doorbell rang and the mailwoman handed me a package from MF Tech with some Korean 470's, the dual colored blue/grey 700's (China), and some of their 360's (China). Almost like Christmas over here. Will update this later after playing with them.

The friend/girl told me I should go to MF anonymous or some sort of support group. I guess that's what you all are for. My name is Ryan, and I am an addict. Where's the free coffee and donuts.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorites are 500 GSM Korean edgeless and 800 & 1100 GSM Korean Everest towels. Between those towels, you can pretty much do anything, but for glass I only use Adam's, but I know they can be bought elsewhere for much cheaper, I just haven't yet.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dad07 View Post
    By far the best bang for the buck here is these

Super Soft Deluxe Blue Microfiber Towels, microfiber detailing towels, buffing towels, micro fiber towel, detail cloth

these are a great all around paint towel at a decent price.
    last count I have around 10-11 dozen of these and I absolutely love them.

I/m a 16x16 guy and I really don't like large towels, so these fit for me.

I have many others here from ag and from some other venders....but I always reach for my rolled edge towels.
    I'm with you buddy, nothing beats a 16x16. Recently (in a thread that seems to have disappeared for no apparent reason) someone mentioned The Rag Co had some towels they liked, but they are 14x14 and imo USELESS.

Tim, Were you ever able to verify the GSM weight of those rolled edge units? I know that you can get them * in the same colors* from another supplier. Theirs are 360's and VERY affordable (before FedEx shipping gets involved from San Diego.) Yet still over 30% less expensive (on 12 pack pricing. Were I to have to guess, if you invested in that 10/11 dozen figure you mentioned I'd bet good money you could save as much as 50%, shopping carefully of course. ;D (Please no hate mail or asking for price sheets because I don't have one, current or with those towels on it.)

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast