autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Guys talking Towels - Bulk or One Off - Good Bad or Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by tnecniv View Post
    Of the few towels that I do have, I have the Dry Me Crazy. It's extremely soft to the touch.. but... its the only towel where I have noticed it leaving swirls!!! Noticed it after washing a black bike that I polished, and also tested it out on a CD and it scratched that also.
    I'm glad you said this. I was having some issues with fine corduroy like lines in paint after using the MM DMC. My car is a good test vehicle since it has insanely soft paint on the hood and fenders to to a respray, and typically hard BMW grey on the rest of the car. (respray due to some [first letter of alphabet] hole backing into the fender in a parking lot and taking off without leaving a note or anything. Ins company would pay for repainting the new fender and about 1/3 of the hood. Really? There was enough road rash on the front of the hood and other fender that I just paid to have the entire front half repainted to avoid a freaking striped hood. Rant over). The back half didn't seem to have this problem. I initially figured it might be due to wash technique, which I thought was pretty good, but after trying different approaches to 2BM washing and rinseless, I think it might be the drying towel because when I pat dry with DMC the problem doesn't seem to happen. Got a bunch of Junkman recommended WW towels this week and will try those today. We'll see. Love the absorption of the MM though.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few of the MM wave riders too, and use one to dry glass shower doors after shower. They absorb water with one pass better than any other towel I have used for this purpose. They rock as to ability to dry with one slow pass. They don't feel as soft as other drying towels though. I am experimenting with them on paint after 2BM wash and quick leaf blower dry.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmd View Post

PS- to the MFT vs Eagle posts above, Tony sent me a grey MFT unit and I really like it as compared to the Eagles. The grey actually felt softer, and they are about a dollar cheaper. Shipping prices will offset this a little depending on where you live, but I am going to go with MFT for this towel. I ordered some myself before I got the unit from Tony, and received the blue silk bordered ones instead of the edgeless I ordered, and I swear the blue feels different from the edgeless grey. It feels lighter and slightly thinner.

Tony seems to think I am nuts on this, as MFT contends they are the same, but they just feel a little different to me. This may be isolated to a single batch, but I am going to be ordering the edgeless greys going forward.
    Congrats Ryan on 'saving' your 600's! One has to remember, no matter how OCD one gets over not just use, but especially washing and/or cleaning that *BY DESIGN* micro-*fiber* holds darned near everything and anything it comes in contact with, DEEP inside the fiber itself.

Waxes, sealants, LSP's, and the plethora of other products we use ALONG with dirt and dust, (from grains of sand size to microscopic) are held tightly by fibers that just don't want to let go.

Adding to that.... Short of having a dedicated washer that we get to use ONLY for our towels, no matter how we may go about rinsing it out, you can bet we end up with varying amounts of *other* liquid detergents AS WELL AS fabric softener in our towels.

A good "sterilization" here and there is more than a last resort. One thing IMHO that should be a REGULAR part of our towel maintenance.

"Tony seems to think I am nuts on this,..."

NO SIR I never said that!

What I said was I was told that borderless and full border towels are cut from the same cloth. In fact (as i was told last year and again last month) the only difference is that borderless has been washed in tje factory *after* the ultrasonic edge cutting, to remove lint.

I also told you if you'll cut your towels up with a pair of scissors that they'll both feel the same.

Like you however, I would swear that they are cut from "different cloth".

Regarding TRC "orange" vs MFT 2013 version 460 and 2014 version 470.....
    I know that the 460 is much closer in construction than the 470. All my 470's are FAR superior towels. (Although they are new, and I only have the 1 TRC orange to compare to.)

And it would seem that TRC has finally got on board with their description (being a 480 or is it a 470... depends on which site you look on I'm told rather than a 500) and pricing that is FINALLY competitive. (That's a good thing!)

Although they openly advertise "as low as" (wholesale pricing) which I can assure you is WELL OVER a buck more than my last MFT order.... which turns out is a 513 GSM towel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kar Phreak View Post
    So besides weight does the Rag Co. orange 470-500 feel the same as the MFT 470?
    Besides weight, IMHO the unit from TRC feels more like last years MFT 460. I know it isn't as thick as the new MFT towel when you have all three together.

Is it enough to be all that concerned about? Perhaps not, as far as performance goes. But price wise.... MFT all the way!!!! (Remembering they didn't go to 'retail only' to start Spring Detailing season.)

I'll see about getting them together and taking a few photos. (Like I did last year in my "New additions to the Cardaddy stable" thread.) Just have to add that to the list of things I need to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    But price wise.... MFT all the way!!!! (Remembering they didn't go to 'retail only' to start Spring Detailing season.)

As stated earlier, TRC is back to wholesale pricing and TRC is now cheaper if you buy 60-90 towels. MT is cheaper if you buy 1-59 or 100+ towels.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can someone tell me why the product description of the Korean 470 from MFT says made in China when you click on the towel and read the product description?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SYMAWD View Post
    As stated earlier, TRC is back to wholesale pricing and TRC is now cheaper if you buy 60-90 towels. MT is cheaper if you buy 1-59 or 100+ towels.
    Really?
    I just looked at the retail side of both sites. TRC for 10 is .53 cents more,
    25 is .44 cents more, and for 50 is .48 cents more than MFT. And that's on the retail site.

Remember that most AGO members will be buying retail.
    Also TRC now has a $200 minimum for wholesale, MFT does not.

I do agree that MFT's wholesale ladder is 1~9, 10~99, then 100+.
    I don't have both wholesale price sheets in front of me, and would NEVER say publicly what they are. But last I looked MFT was always lower there as well. (Don't always assume that website pricing is the same as case pricing either... in my experience.... far from it.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Tornados!!!!!!

And a couple extra randoms that I got for free.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tnecniv View Post
    Of the few towels that I do have, I have the Dry Me Crazy. It's extremely soft to the touch.. but... its the only towel where I have noticed it leaving swirls!!! Noticed it after washing a black bike that I polished, and also tested it out on a CD and it scratched that also.
    I just received a call from a friend who uses Microfiber Madness regularly and thought something might be odd here with this post. He sent an email with a link to this thread and I thought it important to dispel any misinformation so heres a youtube video I took moments later....

I never cared to play with towels on a cd before but figured if thats what was being discussed here we could do a quick video for you like that.

Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy - NO scratches - YouTube

Microfiber Madness towels do not scratch. If you rub sand on the paint or dry the towel in a dryer on hot to try to melt the fibers, or some other thing you can cause an issue but otherwise they will not scratch.

Apologies to AG that I had to post, I'm hopeful you can appreciate correcting of misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklin View Post
    As for the Dry Me Crazy, that's very interesting to hear about swirls. With the way everyone lauds MM as the second coming or something, (and those prices? ) I've been very curious to see how those and the others MM sells stack up against the rest of my towels.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    I just received a call from a friend who uses Microfiber Madness regularly and thought something might be odd here with this post.He sent an email with a link to this thread and I thought it important to dispel any misinformation so heres a youtube video I took moments later....

I never cared to play with towels on a cd before but figured if thats what was being discussed here we could do a quick video for you like that.

Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy - NO scratches - YouTube

Microfiber Madness towels do not scratch. If you rub sand on the paint or dry the towel in a dryer on hot to try to melt the fibers, or some other thing you can cause an issue but otherwise they will not scratch.

Apologies to AG that I had to post, I'm hopeful you can appreciate correcting of misinformation.
    I'm backing this man as I just did the same before reading his post and coming here to post my own findings. Here's my evidence:

This first shot is of the drying towel in question and the mitt. These are not new items, they have both been used and laundered at least 20 times.

I assure every person reading this that I rubbed the bejesus out of that CD using every bad technique I could think of: one ply, hulk-like pressure (bent the CD considerably while rubbing), used the edging, twisting motions, single ply and two fingers, rubbing super fast, etc.

Here's the result of that torture test:

And this is a second shot of the CD after I used the mitt on it in equally poor technique conditions. The only part I did not rub on the CD was the cuff itself, as I wouldn't wash my car with the cuff:

I'm not posting to sell any product. I did this out of concern that I might be damaging my own personal vehicle using the products mentioned earlier, due to some concerns raised by other members. For those of you that may have them in your own collection, I hope this puts your mind at ease.

For those of you that care, I wash my towels on warm/warm, permanent press, extra rinse, and use a mixture of All Free and Clear and a dedicated microfiber cleaner, then wash them a second time with 1/4 cup of vinegar as the wash solution. I dry on the second highest setting.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast