autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's discuss a business idea I have please

OK so it finally came to me that I could try something and who knows where it could lead. I am looking for any and all comments from anyone who would like to participate. THANKS AHEAD OF TIME.

I previously worked at a BIG (as in popular, been around for over 20 years) local Audio/Accessory shop near me, my BFF currently works there, I frequent the place to say Hi and catch up with others that I have known for a long time (10 years) including the owner. I left on VERY good terms, no hard feelings what so ever, even been back sometimes during his winter rush to help out with remote start season quite often.

I am considering approaching the owner with a proposal for some detailing being done using his shop space/water/electric and my products. He has a humongous place he just opened in the spring this year and not enough cars usually to fill it so there is empty space here and there. He also has a "wash" bay (sectioned off with heavy PVC curtains for tinting etc.

I am looking for some open discussion on this topic. Tips, Suggestions, Ideas, Experiences, ANYTHING as to what I should ask/offer when making the suggestion to the owner.

A couple topics I am thinking about that may help get things started.

1. Giving him a % of the take on the jobs...I would be using his shop and salesmen.
    2. Giving him a fixed $ per hour for the use of his bay
    3. Detailing his vehicle for next to or NOTHING on a schedule.

Anything else will be greatly appreciated guys...and girls.

Thanks again,
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Let's discuss a business idea I have please

I would ask him if you could rent a bay. Fixed monthly rate, and you get to use his cliental along with yours, and that goes both ways.
    PCB Reflections LLC
    Specializing in Corrections and Protection
    Servicing Greenville SC & Surrounding Areas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Znig22 View Post
    I would ask him if you could rent a bay. Fixed monthly rate, and you get to use his cliental along with yours, and that goes both ways.
    +1

Like a lot of hair cutting places; where the stylists rent their booths. To make it simple, you pay at the register; but it's all kept track of and your stylist gets that money (But they have to pay rent on the booth). For the sake of simplicity, and to give him the idea of driving more business through his door- you could approach it that way. Rent the booth for $X a month, clients pay at his register and it's a pseudo-service of his company. Whenever you gross over that $x a month, he cuts you a check for what you earned! You MIGHT even be able to work it out so that he runs it through his payroll, withholds taxes, and covers you under his insurance, etc., making life a lot less complicated for you. You could probably drive a lot of business over by having the guys doing the work mention to the owners of the cars that for a few bucks more they'll wash and wax the car- or even do paint corrections and interior cleaning!
    2014 Ford Focus SE Sport | 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Convertible | 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE | 2011 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely an option. And one I kind of like too. THANK YOU BOTH. Keep em comin guys, I know we have tons of thinkers here. Be off the wall and just say whatever youre thinking cause maybe theres things I haven't thought of doing or asking or saying etc.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on renting a bay. Even offer kick backs for your customers who end up buying his services to get them in his side of things. (10% off of a detail when you buy window tint, etc.)
    Everyone is my teacher. Some I seek. Some I subconsciously attract. Often I learn simply by observing others. Some may be completely unaware that I'm learning from them, yet I bow deeply in gratitude.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Znig22 View Post
    The only thing I would make sure you have a key so you could work after hours if you need to work late.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Don, I take it you mean 'car' audio. Silly me, but the first thing I think of with all things audio is home audio. Owned my own home theater design /consulting / installation company for years there so it's just where my mind goes.

First ask him what his thoughts are on it. No need to ask him for terms just yet, or set any out there for that matter. Perhaps run it by him and see if he even feels like he has the space to spare and is WILLING to go down that road with you.

Sure, giving him a freebie is a GREAT way to keep him happy. Makes you wonder though what his other employees would think THEY are getting out of the deal.

Maybe if you were to show him on his own vehicle first what you're wanting to do, and talk him into a free week or two to see if it's actually something that you can make work into something profitable.

Remember that most guys think of detailing as nothing but car washing. Might be worth it to see what it CAN really be! I've had guys look at me and tell me "NO WAY, you're just too high", not even knowing what it is that I do. Too much of that tunnel of doom mentality out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Pure shine thanks for the comment, I don't think that will be a problem as I work my full time job at 3pm so I could never work later than he is open.....unless it comes to a weekend day, hmmmm something I should keep in mind.

Tony: Definitely was thinking those things, asking him what he thinks cause obviously he is pretty smart when it comes to business decisions. Im not sure what he thinks of detailers but that would be a great time to find out right? I would at least like a chance to do his truck for him and let him see. My friend that works there (theres actually 2 of them) had some work done on his car at my place already and was very impressed (despite knowing me and my quality). They both thought they took good care of their paint and I couldn't make much difference in their vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have to build-up your client base I would definitely consider doing a trial period (6-12 mos.) where he gets a % of each job you perform. After the trial period you both re-evaluate how things are going and either:

1. Cancel the arrangement
    2. Extend the current agreement
    3. Move to a fixed rental fee

#3 would make sense at any time you are profitable and have a steady-stream of work. You wouldn't want a fixed monthly fee if you cannot guarantee that you can cover this with projects

Post Thanks / Like

You could have better control of your costs if you gave a % of each job with a cap. This is a best case scenario for you so he may not go for it. Basically, if business is slow, you're not out the fixed cost of renting, if business is good, once you reach the cap you don't have to pay more. You can sell it buy the fact that when you're not detailing a car he still gets to use the bay for his business. The way you figure the % and the cap.....let's just say for easy math/argument purposes you would rent the bay for $1000 per month,, set the cap at $1000 (or $1200 as an incentive for him). Now lets say you charge $25 per hour, a full 8 hour day would bring in $200, so $1000 per week * 4 weeks (easy math) so $4000 per month. Giving him 25% would come up to the $1000 rental. If you only had enough business for 20hours per week, the bay is still available for his use half of the time and you would only pay out half the money for your time. On the other hand, if you had extra work and earned 50 hours worth of work, you're keeping the extra money and not over paying for rent. Obviously, your numbers will be different, just through this together as an example.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast