autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Turned away my first customer.

So I had a customer call me today and wanted my Express detail which is only for repeat customers. It even states that on my website so with that said I had him stop by my shop so I could take a look at the car. So as the saying goes if the customer says its not that bad its trashed and it was. I told the customers there was now way I could do an Express detail with the condition of the interior and I would give hem 10% off on the complete detail which covers the hole interior getting clean. They told me no and I sent them to the production shop down the street to get his car done. I couldn't do the work and feel good about the job and I won't do crap work for a quick $$$. So would like to hear what other people would've done.

Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Turned away my first customer.

You made the right business decision.

Click on image to view work

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You made the right decision. That guy has 25 friends that want their rolling wrecks cleaned too. Sticking with quality customers who don't mind paying you what you are worth is always the right move.

Post Thanks / Like

Todd as others have said you did the right thing. There is always a time to say no (politely) and walk away. I would not attach my name and my reputation to something I wasn't happy with or that I know wasn't going to be up to my standards.

Let the bad ones walk and keep all your good ones.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like
    One option would have been to ask what his budget and expectation was and try to tailor a package to him. But I'm guessing his budget and expectation was the express package; either clueless as to how you do work, or he wanted the full detail for the price of the express. Better to let that one go.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

When I started I was only charging $200-$250 for Full details and paint corrections. Since then I have moved to $450+, Some of the people at work are seeing that I am doing more and more cars now and they are getting to be higher end. I know they are looking at my pics and tell me they are gonna be calling me soon. I cant wait to see their faces when I tell them that its going to be $500 for a full paint correction. However, I can tailor a smaller package for the original price quoted in the beginning. If they ask, I will tell them that that was my opening business package to get my detailing business started. It is not offered anymore and the prices are higher now. As they squirm I will tell, you know,...I can offer you something less in the means of a package. LOL They jacked me around and now I have enough cars every week that I don't have time. I can pick and chose the rich people who like their cars and want to keep them up. Plus, the cars I am now doing are clean on the inside. Not a mess at all. I just wipe, vacuum and protect with uv stuff. Loving this!! CASH IS KING

Post Thanks / Like

overall, you made the right call imo, While it was great to see a client come forth with a budget in mind, he or she wanted something that was just not going to happen. I would have not just kicked them out the door, but at least offer what you can do. Keep in mind its how a business works,you offer the best you can with what you have
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

It must have been really bad. You do amazing work. That's right, don't hurt your reputation.
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

well you lost a customer.
    One thing I try to do is to "find a happy medium" Don't shew away a customer because they "don't fit into your definition".
    Work with people.
    Stores sell "lost leaders" just to get you into the store. So kinda do the same when you see these people.
    You won't come across these customers a lot but if you get a good customer out of it then you win.

I made 10's of thousands off a customer that I hated and almost wrote off but I said to myself "work with him and see what happens" next thing I know he's paying $500 to wash his two cars every week!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detailing by M View Post
    well you lost a customer.
    One thing I try to do is to "find a happy medium" Don't shew away a customer because they "don't fit into your definition".
    Work with people.
    Stores sell "lost leaders" just to get you into the store. So kinda do the same when you see these people.
    You won't come across these customers a lot but if you get a good customer out of it then you win.

I made 10's of thousands off a customer that I hated and almost wrote off but I said to myself "work with him and see what happens" next thing I know he's paying $500 to wash his two cars every week!
    A loss leader would work, but its more for restaurants and not cars
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast