autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Outrageously priced products...

Quote Originally Posted by stilltipping3 View Post
    I do the credit card thing for the cash back but one time I got crazy and ran that mother up to $7000 and it took a while to pay it off. Thus, the Credit Card Dracula sunk its teeth in me and took all my profits from the card away and then some. It is a thin line between love and hate with me.
    That's exactly what they are hoping you do. I pay online and pay several time each month.

But thanks though. When you do stuff like that, they are more inclined to offer even more incentives in hopes that someone else will do the same . LOL.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
    That's exactly what they are hoping you do. I pay online and pay several time each month.

But thanks though. When you do stuff like that, they are more inclined to offer even more incentives in hopes that someone else will do the same . LOL.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidg View Post
    I love my BenchMade knives, but I pay for them.

I own a Kimber too, but 1911's in general are mega high priced.
    So much to discuss, but I'll only quote this one. Why? Because I love me some Kimbers! My daily carry is a 3" TLE and Sunday go to meeting one is a 4" Super Carry Pro, (round heel) with a custom havana elephant trimmed in gray quill ostrich, smooth calfskin lined custom paddle holster (with adjustable cant) and a matching mag pouch. Had that one made by a local guy, Ryan Grizzle. Worth checking out for sure.

Not sure how the thread ended up being a discussion of American vs. Asian vs. German (and even vs. some Italian) cars. Lord knows that everyone and I do mean E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E that has ever bought a vehicle from any of the mentioned sources has probably paid more than they should, and there is a good chance several have ended up with a lemon. People buy from emotion and pride much more from pure need. Ask the local Mercedes dealership what they sell and you'll get "a three-pointed star" somewhere in the answer.

There was a mention of a 62, 63 then 67 & 68 Vette going from one extreme to another and how great what was. Then in the same sentence the 911 being "evolutionary!". The 911 remained basically unchanged for THIRTY FIVE YEARS from (63 to 98) only to change from an air cooled to liquid cooled engine at the time. Albeit there was an evolutionary change in 89 as far as offering 4WD. And I will admit a certain affinity towards the 993's of the mid 90's being particularly sexy, (at least on the exterior).

I find this fairly interesting though:

From 1983 through 2008, the following marques were represented on the Car and Driver Top 10 list the most times, including both the car and truck lists (except for the 2008 trucks).

Only four basic rules to this one.

1.The vehicle must be on sale by January.
    That shouldn't be too hard, even back then when new cars actually didn't come out till darned near the year they were titled under.

2.It must be priced below 2.5 times the average car price for that year.
    This is where some people may have a problem. They equate spending 4, 5, even 6 times as much as the 'average' car to buying a 'better' car.

3.The manufacturer must provide an example for testing.
    Figure this one was thrown in for the esoteric, hand-built shops that didn't want some lowly magazine writer thrashing their pride and joy around a test track. (Guess they didn't have Top Gear or Fifth Gear back then huh?)

4.Only substantially changed vehicles and the past year's 10 best winners are nominated.
    Ooops, this might be a problem if you don't change your design every few years, er decades.

Rank Marque Number of Wins
    1 Honda

2 Toyota273 BMW244 Mazda235 Chevrolet216 Acura167 Porsche157 Nissan157 Audi1510 Chrysler13

How in the WORLD can this be true? For that matter, how in the world can Chrysler be in the top 20 much less the top 10! Then again, those figures also accounted into the vote any ownership votes casted for the Diamler-Benz family.

Yet the Number 1 car for years 1983 through 2013 has been the Honda Accord.

Wanna' guess what number 2 is?

Anyone?

BMW 3 Series

Want to know number 3?

It may make some people angry.

Chevy Corvette!

Now I've owned more cars than I can remember, although not a BMW, MB, or Porsche. But not because I couldn't afford one, just didn't want one. (Affording the required maintenance is another story all together.) Have owned VW's if that counts.

I've never been a total "brand loyal" type of guy though. I buy what I like, and generally like what I buy.

Asked me back in the late 80's and I'd told you if you didn't drive a Ford truck you didn't know how to pick a work truck. They were rock solid and had made me a ton of money. Figured I'd drive one to my grave. In late 84 I bought my first F350 diesel and drove them for 10 years, figured they were the lesser of two evils, big block gas GM trucks being the other. For those 10 years I drove them hard, put them up wet, and made a lot of money with them. Then come 1994 Ford Super Duty Turbo Diesel that was a different engine than their (up until then) Navistar engine. What a total POS! In 9 months is was in the shop a total of 72 days! That fixed me from EVER buying another one!!! Was years and years before you could even park one in my driveway after that.

Fixed all that with well over spec'ed GMC Medium Duty 6500 series trucks and CAT power. Best thing that ever happened.

I mentioned that because the big truck(s) while costing more to purchase, and do repair work on. Cost LESS to operate.

Problem is you cannot equate that to brands like Mercedes and Porsche. They cost more to buy AND operate. The argument that an old Mercedes will bring more money than an old Chevy is true, up to a point. First it costs more up front, so you have to look at the percentage of original value. That aside. Buy a nice clean 15 year old Mercedes and you have two DRASTICALLY DIFFERENT pricing structures. (Remember, my specialty when I was in the towing business was hi-line vehicles.)

Two vehicles sitting side by side, same mileage, same basic condition. One brings up to 70% more money. Why?

The "books".... plain and simple. With any vehicle you will get a better return on your investment by keeping good records. But with a German vehicle you MUST keep records. Better yet, you better darned well have it serviced by a "qualified Mercedes Benz/Porsche technician". If you have the ORIGINAL books, and did all the REQUIRED service then the vehicle will last longer. And down the road you as the buyer will end up paying that seller for those books and all the trips to the dealership that came with them.

Sort of like an aircraft. Go to your local broker and check the price of a 20 year old Cessna Citation. With the log books you're looking at $1.2~$1.5 million. Without???? Try $750K on a good day.

Everything is relevant my friends.

But back to the original topic.

What is the most expensive thing, or say the most overpriced thing you've ever bought?

My wife, (up until I bought my last M4 flattop with an Aimpoint red dot) would tell you a $3000 subwoofer is by far the dumbest thing I've bought. Yet she has it turned on every single day she is here. Mornings when I sleep in she's bright and early to the power switch. Pair of $2500 speakers? Yep, that is too much as well. Who needs a $2000 receiver just for the preamp outputs only to drive yet another $2000 power amplifier?

Give her QVC and some fancy cookware and she's on the phone.

My daughter just got married in July. On HER list she said she wanted a nice knife set. My/her new in-laws (even her husband) said that was the stupidest thing they had ever heard of. Then when she said we have had the same knives her entire life and they will hold an edge that will shave you they looked at her like she was even more nuts.

Now that she's married, and she likes to cook, her husband told her a couple of weeks ago that they needed a better set of knives! (Because, in his own words "We use them all the time.")

It's all relevant.

Buy what you like, and use if often.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07RS4 View Post
    Good points Roman....now to add to the OP's direction of the thread....

World's Most Expensive Car Wax Costs $97,000 - YouTube $97K, dang!
    Anyone who puts their car through an automatic car wash has no business buying a $97,000 wax. They really need to get their priorities straight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    So much to discuss, but I'll only quote this one. Why? Because I love me some Kimbers! My daily carry is a 3" TLE and Sunday go to meeting one is a 4" Super Carry Pro, (round heel) with a custom havana elephant trimmed in gray quill ostrich, smooth calfskin lined custom paddle holster (with adjustable cant) and a matching mag pouch. Had that one made by a local guy, Ryan Grizzle. Worth checking out for sure.
    Thanks for making feel inadequate. Just a tactical pro (4") for me. It's got a ton of Wilson combat goodies in it though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for making feel inadequate. Just a tactical pro (4") for me. It's got a ton of Wilson combat goodies in it though.
    At the end of the day if you can shoot straight it really doesn't matter...

I have a Remingtom 700 PSS with a $200ish dollar scope shoot 1/4"-1/2" groups at 300 yards can't believe an $800-$1200 leupold would change that much, what would an 1/8' really matter.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post

I have a Remingtom 700 PSS with a $200ish dollar scope shoot 1/4"-1/2" groups at 300 yards can't believe an $800-$1200 leupold would change that much, what would an 1/8' really matter.

I'm gonna assume you're not from the south. It's all about quantity here.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna assume you're not from the south. It's all about quantity here.
    I have that covered quite adequately too with my 60 round AR Mags or my mega round glock mags. I don't think that has anyhting to do where one is from geographically speaking.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Since we are on the topic- shout out to "Patriot Arms of New England"!
    LOL
    Guns, boats, cars, houses
    Money pits are everywhere you make them

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

And there ya' go. The business end is all the same, no matter where ya' point it.

Yup, putting lead downrange is the only thing that matters. I don't practice near as much as I should, but... I've been carrying since I was 18, some 37 years. If it's human sized I can hit it, without fail, at least well enough to get me the he!! outta' dodge.

I have that covered quite adequately too with my 60 round AR Mags or my mega round glock mags. I don't think that has anyhting to do where one is from geographically speaking.
    Here here! At least we can start to AFFORD mags again, any mags for that point. Brownell's sent me an email about a month ago, PMags are back down to $122 for a 10 pack. Rather than a HUNDRED BUCKS for ONE!

Quote Originally Posted by Goodylax View Post
    Since we are on the topic- shout out to "Patriot Arms of New England"!
    LOL
    Guns, boats, cars, houses
    Money pits are everywhere you make them
    What is it they say...... CHURCH!

I've always said about boats; "It's a hole in the water that you put money into."
    Just as I've said about guns; "Guns are for fun and collecting, and if you honestly believe it's to protect you from the 'evil' government, you've not seen the weapons they have lately."

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011