autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Got a little bummed

I got bummed out cause I washed, clayed, and barely waxed (Pinnacle Signature Series II) my parents' 03 silver Camry. I took forever, the thing's a boat! Well what bummed me out was when I was waxing, the paint hood still felt like there was contaminants, but I ignored it. The wax pad was grabby and it accidentally flew outta my hand . I took out another pad, and that flew too! So I stopped, and I was tired. I had the hood, fenders, and the roof covered. I wish the pad didn't feel so grabby. Maybe I should have sprayed some QD on it. I'm more bummed out by the way the hood felt, even though I clayed it. It didn't feel smooth. I was detailing from maybe around 4 PM to almost 10 PM, then I ate after I was done washing and my friend came over while I was claying and we ate (I ate again, man I feel fatty).
    Last edited by klumzypinoy; 06-19-2007 at 03:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by klumzypinoy
    I got bummed out cause I washed, clayed, and barely waxed (Pinnacle Signature Series II) my parents' 03 silver Camry. I took forever, the thing's a boat! Well what bummed me out was when I was waxing, the paint hood still felt like there was contaminants, but I ignored it. The wax pad was grabby and it accidentally flew outta my hand . I took out another pad, and that flew too! So I stopped, and I was tired. I had the hood, fenders, and the roof covered. I wish the pad didn't feel so grabby. Maybe I should have sprayed some QD on it. I'm more bummed out by the way the hood felt, even though I clayed it. It didn't feel smooth. I was detailing from maybe around 4 PM to almost 10 PM, then I ate after I was done washing and my friend came over while I was claying and we ate (I ate again, man I feel fatty).
    Is the hood heavily swirled? I've found surfaces with heavy swirling to be very "sandpaper-like" even after a good claying...
    Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail
    Chicago, Illinois
    Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry to hear bud i too spent my weekend in teh same perdicament with my moms 01 silverado this weekend...4 hours just washing,degreasing,and claying...hood felt the same way unfortunantly .....then toss on another 2 hours of waxing (3 layers).....only to have it rain sunday

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear it didn't go so well for you. Try claying the hood again. Sometimes the clay doesn't get all the junk off the first time. And a second claying is needed.
    Ed

Moderator/Consultant for Autogeek.net

To achieve excellence, excellence cannot be rushed. Technique is just as important as the product used.
    While my approach takes more time, the results are far superior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear that. I've encountered similar situations.
    Another thing to keep in mind is the aggressiveness of the clay. You see now that the clay you were using left behind alot of contamination. You might think about picking up a little more aggressive clay for next time. Or like mentioned above you might just need a second round of claying.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with HighEndDetail and Mike T, claying is so important and depending how bad the shape the vehicle is in you may need additional clay. I've goten in the habit of cutting the clay is three peases (depending on the size) and if the vehicle is in really bad shape you know the first pease will be tossed and a new pease will have to be used. In addition, sometimes you'll be able to get a way with a very mild clay and sometimes you'll need an aggresive clay having one of each is nice.

To hear about your experiance but it happens and it's always best to just take your time, things have a way of faling a part if you rush them.

Hopefully next time it will be a different story for you buddy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by klumzypinoy
    I took forever, the thing's a boat!
    A lil' ol' Camry....want to do our suv's/trucks??
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone help me with this? Everytine I use clay, the stuff ends up falling apart. I was detailing the roof on my wife's Explorer and I had to use two balls of clay to finish it up.

And every single time I use my clay, and then put it away it ends up growing mold. Claying pisses me off.

Post Thanks / Like
    P1et, what are you using for a lube? Sometimes some people like to use soapy water and it will cause some clays to crumble. At least that is what I've read. Can't remember which brands of clay though. I've never had clay fall apart on me. I usually use the OTC stuff like Mothers and Meg's which ever is cheapest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P1et
    Can anyone help me with this? Everytine I use clay, the stuff ends up falling apart. I was detailing the roof on my wife's Explorer and I had to use two balls of clay to finish it up.

And every single time I use my clay, and then put it away it ends up growing mold. Claying pisses me off.
    All I use is the regular white Megs clay bars and qd'er and thats it, never had any issues, I just store some of the bars in a plastic bag (sprayed with some qd'er quickly to keep from drying out), and two are in a sealed container that came in a package. Some of the clay I've had for about a year, and is still good, little dirty so I don't use it on paint, just glass.

I love this stuff:
    The real WyStang:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast