autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Let Me Ask You A Question...... Business/Detailing.... Ranting

Now days, it's hard to find great help anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post

Perhaps the work ethic you are experiencing from your employee is a direct correlation to the compensation plan you have setup for them. If they are getting 25% of TOTAL revenue, regardless of the effort they are expending for said revenue, then they have realized that they can do minimal work and "milk the system" for the same paycheck as if they were busting their butt. Maybe a compensation plan that pays them only for their direct contributions (per hour, per job, etc.) would take care of the laziness/slacking-off problem.
    The problem is he can't effectively go backwards. This guy is not going to want to go from 25% to $25 an hour. (or $1500/ 60 hour work week)

OP instead (only my opinion) you should find someone who will work hourly for $18-20, and knows what they are doing, or is at least trainable. It sounds to me like you have enough work to take on 2 guys. If your current guy is working 5 solid 8 hour days that's all he's gonna want to do. If you can get him to take an hourly wage without any sour pusses you can then afford to get someone else part time with the same payroll expense.

I know it seems like you're giving away 1/4 of your business right now, but he doesn't seem like he wants to be a business man to me. It sounds more like he just wants a job.

Post Thanks / Like

I really wish I could help you out, but you are way too far from where I am.

I think you should simply sit down with that person and put your cards on the table. This to me feels like a lack of communication and you seems to have a different visions of things than that person does.

I would try to find a way to make it work by making him understand that he needs to put equal efforts if this is going to work. Otherwise negotiate a different payment plan that will accomodate his desires to work less hours and find a second helper to pick up the slack.

Tough situation, I might be wrong, but it feels to me you did not take the time to talk about what would be expected of him when you offered him the deal for 25%.

From past experience, I can tell you it is almost impossible to find people who will put the efforts you are willing to put in. People in general try to work as little as possible for as much money as they can. People willing to work as hard as they can are the exception. Finding someone like that is not easy so that is why I would never go to a % deal without a tie to amount of work done.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey all! Been to busy the last couple of days to really get on here and reply to your comments :/ I have been reading them on the go though! Thanks for all the advice and suggestions made..... I talked to the guy and worked it out which was super needed due to the crazy schedule . If I decide to grow as large as we were before it will become an issue with pay, but as of right now I am fine as long as he puts in the work cause this company is already making much more than the previous which had tons have business, employees, and headaches. I was really freaking out that night cause there are so many deadlines to meet in such a small period of time. But my wife said it best, "Relax and do what you can do." I start getting extremely worried about the client's expectations and work myself silly trying to meet the expections that I feel they have for me. Then I realize putting a large project off for a day to complete another isn't nearly as big of a deal that I originally thought lol. So I must apologize for the crazy rant! I was just freaking out trying to keep everyone happy lol! You are all awesome for the support and suggestions for sure
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quality vs Quantity.

Art

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    Quality vs Quantity.

Art

Very True!
    Bates Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    That's actually a good slogan (from your other thread)

Bates Detailing - Quality over Quantity.
    Maybe not "the one"

However, the Master still makes me laugh hahaha

Enjoy the weekend...

Art

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! I would help you too if I were closer. Dang why cant this be here in NY!! Or why cant I move to TN...oh yeah Daughter and Ex!!! Mainly Ex.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so the same guy called out again today when we have 2 days left of what I am calling "hell week". I just pulled a 17 hour day because this guy called out . Im done with him, just fired him earlier in the night and Im done with employees period for now. Im going to book only what I can take care of and just bank the extra for growth in spring. I can't believe that this guy calls out twice in a week knowing that everything is on a deadline and that everything is cake after weds. Cant believe it - he just threw away a GREAT job that pays over double of most and with the most lenient "boss" there is! Cant believe it at all. Gonna stop believing in people man
    Bates Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you drug test your employes prior to hire?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast