autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sportscarhiatus' Supercharge Installation on 2012 5oh (Magnuson MP2300 TVS)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris's FX4 View Post
    Are you going to be installing an oil separator/catch can on her Sportscar, or did you already have one on there?

Hope everything goes smoothly on Saturday.
    Thanks Chris... I hope so too lol.

No jlt oil separator... I hear mixed things on that. Some say not really beneficial.
    2012 Ford Mustang 5.0 - Kona Blue Christened name: MARILYN
    2012 Acura TSX S.E. - Silver Moon Christened name: TORI
    2013 Toyota Prius V - Blue Ribbon Metallic Christened name: PORTIA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sportscarhiatus View Post
    Thanks Chris... I hope so too lol.

No jlt oil separator... I hear mixed things on that. Some say not really beneficial.
    Well for what its worth, I've been collecting about 1oz of oil every 1500-2000 miles out of the 5.0 in my truck. Mine is from UPR.

So some are saying that they're not really beneficial on the Mustangs even with forced induction?
    2011 Ford F-150 FX4 5.0L -- My Flickr Page

Post Thanks / Like

Oil separator is a must on the 2011+ even in N/A form. Take a look in your stock intake when you pull it and I bet you see oil running out of it.

The JLT ones work and according to Chris ^, so do the UPR. Don't get a shelby one.

Here is a 2011 I did a boss manifold install on. It wasnt even on the second oil change and was N/A.

DSC08220 by latemodelresto, on Flickr
    Jonathan "Jmac" McDonald

devilintedetailz.com

Post Thanks / Like

holy nelly... that's some great numbers man. Mine might be less than that
    Nothing a few more mods wont cure!
    Jonathan "Jmac" McDonald

devilintedetailz.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris's FX4 View Post
    Well for what its worth, I've been collecting about 1oz of oil every 1500-2000 miles out of the 5.0 in my truck. Mine is from UPR.

So some are saying that they're not really beneficial on the Mustangs even with forced induction?
    Quote Originally Posted by dpscoupe View Post
    Oil separator is a must on the 2011+ even in N/A form. Take a look in your stock intake when you pull it and I bet you see oil running out of it.

The JLT ones work and according to Chris ^, so do the UPR. Don't get a shelby one.

Here is a 2011 I did a boss manifold install on. It wasnt even on the second oil change and was N/A.

DSC08220 by latemodelresto, on Flickr
    Thanks for info.. I will have to look into that. I hope I can get out of this sc install in one piece first

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpscoupe View Post

Seeing the inside of my PCV line was enough to convince me to get one. Granted my truck had 35k miles when I got it, but better late than never.
    2011 Ford F-150 FX4 5.0L -- My Flickr Page

Post Thanks / Like

Update as of Sunday 9/29/2013

Sorry I wasn't able to post much yesterday. I was in the belly of the beast so to say. All in all, I'd say I'm about 80 - 85% done overall. I worked alone for about 2 hours starting at 5 am yesterday, then buddies came over and we worked till 2 pm. I then worked alone again for about 2 more hours.

The install was a major success for the most part. The minor snags we ran into were:

1) Determining a good enough "cut"/modification to the PCM run-start fuse to allow for a good fit of the tapped fuse. After about 15 minutes of haggling with it, we got it in.

2) EVAP solenoid extension harness provided was the right kind (male/female), but one end of it was the wrong orientation/shape. You'll see what I mean in the pics below. I believe it's an error in the Magnuson kit, so I will be contacting them tomorrow to make sure they correct it for future kits, or perhaps I will have to change it again. We made it work by pushing it (without clicking) as much as possible, then wrapping tape around it good to ensure it doesn't come off.

3) Coolant hose routing was in error on the manual. Pics didn't match verbiage. I will be contacting Magnuson about this too. Only by looking at close-up pics of other installed Maggie Stangs on the web, were we able to determine the proper routing. Essentially it was deciding whether the driver or passenger side intercooler on the SC manifold went to the new coolant reservoir. We figured out that it was the driver side.

4) Driver side PCV hose was a major PITA!!! I spent almost 2 hours removing the fitting and reinstalling it. Task was to shorten the hose. Problem was, I had to CAREFULLY cut the molded tubing off WITHOUT damaging the fitting. Then I was supposed to heat up the tubing enough after cutting it to length, to push the fitting back on all the way in. As you can imagine, I couldn't get it hot enough to allow to push, or too soft that it started flexing. Anyways, went to ACE hardware, had another guy help me (I was alone at home doing this), then bought additional shrink tubing to make sure it was sealed.

Other than that, install was literally easy. I'd rank the overall install about a 7/10 in terms of difficulty. Just mechanical (and some electrical) inclination is all you need.

I still need to do FIVE more things... today/tomorrow (when I'm off work).

1) Fill new intercooler reservoir with coolant.

2) Reinstall the front bumper and other connections.

3) Install boost gauge, complete with power/ground connections. I will need HELP with this, for those of you out there. Where do I tap power??? esp for dimming?

4) Zip tie and clean up wire looms, tubing, etc all over engine bay.

5) Load new Magnuson tune (tomorrow arrival).

Then I'm done.... now on to the pics... :metal:

Finished tapping the fuse and connecting all the grounds. I'm amazed at my ability to do wiring at 5 am... lol

Installed panel mounting nut for intercooler pump.

Intercooler pump mounted on bracket.

Intercooler pump mounter on cross member.

Intercooler with foam backing installed.

Intercooler mounted in place! Looks amazing...

Intercooler coolant reservoir mounted in driver side strut mount.

The BELLY of the BEAST!!! Stock intake manifold removed...before cleaning. I'm amazed at how much crap is able to get in there.

New Maggie SC manifold flipped over for gasket and solenoid install.

Maggie SC ready for mounting...

This was a GRAND moment... first looking at this setup, standing back and admiring it... that was priceless.

Fuel rails with new fuel injectors ready for mounting. Getting it all lined up before pushing it down was kindda freaky... had to make sure it was all straight.

Here's this EVAP harness... stock is on right, new one is on left. You see how the straight vs curved sides is mirrored on each one???

Here's the PCV hose... see how I still had to shove it in another good .25"??? What a royal PITA.

Here's that same hose all fixed up and sealed.

New Maggie KnN filter in red, as opposed to stock orange. I noticed how much thicker the OEM one was. Back goes the stock box though! I will miss the Cone shaped AirRaid I had...

And here's the final pics... everything installed, sans bumper and cleanup of course. Serpentine belt all installed on new pulleys/idlers, etc. Airbox installed too. This is what 13 hours of work (with more to do yet!) looks like. I just LOVE how the set up looks tho. I'm SO glad I got the powder coated blue. It matches the coil covers so well.

Many thanks to Mike and Ed and Derek. My buddies who helped me this weekend. FYI, I might still need more of your help :devil:

More updates today/tomorrow as I do the 5 things I mentioned above.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^As Annie Lennox would say:^^^

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    ^^^As Annie Lennox would say:^^^

Bob
    Lol thanks bob. Hey, as far as installing boost gauge power source... Any tips? Never done it before

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol thanks bob. Hey, as far as installing boost gauge power source... Any tips? Never done it before
    What brand gauge? Are you using a pillar pod or the a/c vent pod?
    Jonathan "Jmac" McDonald

devilintedetailz.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast