autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: SHOCKED AND HORRIFIED!...."How its made" TV show!

So during the show do they admit the Cayman is a better designed car but detuned so it doesn't outperform the 911? As I put my flame suit on...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by af90 View Post
    So during the show do they admit the Cayman is a better designed car but detuned so it doesn't outperform the 911? As I put my flame suit on...
    No, its just about the 911 (991). As far as it being detuned so it doesn't out perform the 911, well Top Gear kinda proved that when they compared the Boxter, Caymen and 911, all performance and prices were exactly the same in difference, down to the litre engine as well but then again we're talking about Germans and precision here!

I'm sure they could make the Caymen outperform the 911 but IIRC its believed that they want the kind of people who used to buy 911's buy Caymens and the 911 to compete with Grand Touring type cars. Not sure how that's going to work, I mean a Jag XKR, Aston Martin DB9, SLS and etc are completely different cars from the current 911, who knows what they're trying to do nowadays, its the same company that sells the Panamara (don't care how well it sells, its fugly!)

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    its the same company that sells the Panamara (don't care how well it sells, its fugly!)
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by af90 View Post
    I know you're referring to the mid-engine rather than rear-engine, but consider this. The 911 is now 50 years old and is statistically the most successful race car ever built. The 997 GT3 Cup had more wins than any other marque or model, period. Include the GT3-RSR and then it's a whole other level.

I'm not disagreeing that mid-engined cars are better in the middle of the corner, but the 911 can get back on the gas faster on exit with all that weight over the back. Also, 911s have great straight-line speed, which matters at the most important race of the year - Le Mans.

With the Grand-Am and ALMS including the Cayman in the development category this year and United Sports Car Racing will have it next year, it will be interesting to see just how good the Cayman will be under race conditions. As a Porsche enthusiast and 911 owner, I can only hope for the best!

Side note: I was at the dealership a couple of months ago, in the drive up area talking to my sales guy and service guy about some customization that I was going to have done to the car (rear badging) when I heard an amazing roar. I turned around, and there was a brand new Cayman S that was gloss black with matte black racing stripes painted on it, that was just getting ready for the customer to pick it up (wow it was beautiful). After hearing the engine sound I asked, what engine is in that thing? 3.6? 3.4? Yep 3.4L flat 6 pushing 325 horses. The base Cayman has a 2.7L. Porsche did not detune the Cayman. In fact, if you look at the spec sheets and lap times, just the opposite. If it had the same 3.6L engine as the 911 base, would it beat it? Maybe, but I know that the Cayman (and Boxster) S vs. a base 991, the 991 wins every time (how do I know: many YouTube videos have demonstrated - Motor Trend, Drive, etc.) in both straight line and circuit lap times.

Is the mid-engined car a better design? Yes, why else would prototypes and supercars all be mid-engined? But all I'm saying is the 911 has stayed fundamentally the same for 50 years, and all other sports cars are still having trouble beating it (mind you, in recent years "Balance of Performance" has come into play in sports car racing).

Post Thanks / Like
    RadarRyan, your passion and knowledge have come through loud and clear, great post!

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    RadarRyan, your passion and knowledge have come through loud and clear, great post!

Appreciate it, man! More importantly, I appreciate your thread! It was good for all of us who watch How It's Made: Dream Cars 911 and needed a good place to vent afterwards!

I can't wait to see the Porsche LMP1 prototype (spy shots look amazing), especially since confirming that Mark Webber (current Red Bull Racing F1 driver) will be apart of the program. I think Porsche needs to seriously consider bumping Pat Long from the 911 into the LMP1, but then again, who knows if he wants to primary race in Europe? Even better option - Porsche brings the LMP1 to the United Sports Car series next year! Last time that happened, it was the LMP2 category RS Spyder, which was so reliable it ended up beating the LMP1 category to win Sebring overall for Penske.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678