autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

From "APC's" to specialty products. Help

My business, over the past year, has been slowly converting from mostly production work to higher end detailing.

I'm not detailing priceless one of a kind cars, but I see the occasional exotic, some porsches here and there and lots of bmw's, mercedes, etc. I detail full time.

I really want to up my interior game. I'm using steam and a heated extractor, so no problem there. My weakness is in my cleaning products.

I'd like to get away from meg's apc+ and start using more specific products to target carpet, upholstery and things like suede, alcantra etc.

I'm trying to get away from high ph products like most apc's and would like something that leaves very little residue.

I'm really looking for an excellent product that works well with steam. Non ionic, not highly alkaline, rinsless, etc.

Can you guys help me out? Especially those of you who deal with high end cars on a daily basis. Feel free to offer your input on leather and other surfaces as well.

I'm willing to spend more money to offer a better service, but not stupid amounts.
    Jeremy Wayne

Super Member Detail-Impressions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: From "APC's" to specialty products. Help

Check out: 3D products

Post Thanks / Like
    I find that optimum protecting plus can be used as an excellent interior detailer. It smells great, leaves a nice matte look, and actually has decent cleaning ability. It is not super expensive if you buy by the gallon but what I consider a premium product that provides premium results.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detail-Impressions View Post
    Check out: 3D products
    they have a great variety of products that are reasonably priced as well...

Post Thanks / Like

I'll repeat (in part/often-paraphrasing) what Mr. Mike Phillips, among others, have said about detailing:

-The materials used in manufacturing vehicles keep evolving and Detailers must adjust their knowledge-base/understanding,
    as well as their chemicals and processes, to meet the challenges that these changes present.

-The "science" behind the materials-changing-science is an interesting subject...
    But difficult to master its every phase.
    Sometimes best left in the hands of the bona fide experts

It takes a while sometimes...
    But the issues that vehicles' exterior evolvement (BC/CC, etc.) entailed/entails has been met head-on by
    chemical companies, car-care products manufacturers/suppliers, re-sellers, and Detailers with successful changes ...

Interiors must also be met with similar due diligence!

My points being:
    -Find yourself a trustworthy/trained, reliable, and knowledgeable chemicals-supplier, or two...

-I totally understand your statement about not being willing to spend "stupid amounts" of money on products/chemicals/etc...
    But the concern for damaging, say: An Alcantara-appointed cabin area of an exotic may far outweigh the above mentioned regard.

Besides:
    -You've already mentioned you have a Meguiar's jobber that you seem to hold in esteem.

-And just as we have sharing as a benefit in belonging to AGO...
    No doubt your Meguiar's-Man has his contacts with other wholesale supply-houses that he may be willing to share.
    Always at lower price-points (and in bulk) than retail, I'll add.

Then there's organizations such as:
    -CRI, LMCCA, CICU that keep up-to-date data regarding carpet/upholstery...tools/chemicals.
    -Your local janitorial supply houses are also a wealth of information/training opportunities.
    -Don't forget to "gaggle": Alcantara, Ultra Suede, Ecsaine, Micro-Suede...at your earliest convenience.

Research. Research. Then Research some more.
    And: Always, always...Know your chemicals.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    A really well rounded APC I've been using for over a year now is Chemical Guys Nonsense. It handles everything but the nastiest stains and never leaves behind any residues. It also has absolutely no smell or color, just a clear liquid. Mix it at 10:1 and 20:1 and your set. Then protect all surfaces with Ultima Interior Guard for the matte finish with a soft feel.

For leather stick with the effective safe stuff like Meguiars Leather Cleaner. For conditioner i use Wolfgang, smells great and leaves behind a non oily or slippery surface.

I deal with suede and alcantara quite a bit and one product I've used that I found is safe for it is Chemical Guys Fabric Clean. Diluted to around 5-8:1 I've found it effectively cleans those surfaces without staining or removing the color of the fabric. It also kicks but when used with my little bissell extractor as a pre treatment.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will only comment on the carpet and upholstery part of the question since there has been a lot of good APC's and other good leather and interior products already thrown out.
    About 8 months ago I wanted to really step my carpet game up. I have a steamer and extractor like yourself, but felt that something was still missing. I joined a professional carpet cleaning forum and just started reading. I have learned a wealth of information from this forum. There are so many cheap tips and tricks out there.
    But the products I have found on there and have used are phenomenal. One thing is finding a product that doesn't need rinsing. And that's a huge deal in keeping stains from wicking back days and even weeks later. Stain and fiber identification are huge, and a great help knowing what products to use or not to use.

Post Thanks / Like

You will never do better than P21S Total Auto Wash for an all purpose cleaner. It works for everything diluted in the proper ratios and is 100% safe. Lusso Auto Bath is the best shampoo I have ever used hands down no contest. As far as leather goes, Leatherique owns this market, with Swissvax leather cleaner a close second. None of these products are cheap, but you did say you wanted to "up your game".
    -----------------------------------
    http://www.birminghamautodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A-train View Post
    I will only comment on the carpet and upholstery part of the question since there has been a lot of good APC's and other good leather and interior products already thrown out.
    About 8 months ago I wanted to really step my carpet game up. I have a steamer and extractor like yourself, but felt that something was still missing. I joined a professional carpet cleaning forum and just started reading. I have learned a wealth of information from this forum. There are so many cheap tips and tricks out there.
    But the products I have found on there and have used are phenomenal. One thing is finding a product that doesn't need rinsing. And that's a huge deal in keeping stains from wicking back days and even weeks later. Stain and fiber identification are huge, and a great help knowing what products to use or not to use.

If you don't mind, could you pm me the link to that forum and maybe some of the carpet products you use?

I think you and funx are on to something. . .researching in actually carpet cleaning forums and checking out janitorial supply companies.

I actually visited a local janitorial supply place a little while back and was shocked at the interesting carpet cleaning products they offered.

Something that intrigued me was a "PH Rinse" that you run through your extractor to counteract and, I guess, deactivate the cleaner that you were using directly on the carpet.
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I sure will. Yes the ph rinse or acid rinse as they call it too is common practice for carpet cleaners. Also some of the carpet cleaning products that have built in deodorizers kill 2 birds with one stone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast