autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Fixing an "uh oh" and what I've been up to

So I've kinda been MIA for a while. Mostly crazy combinations of managing to tweak an elbow or shoulder and not be able to do much detailing on the Jeep in the last 6 months or so. I'm back though . So I stuck this here because even though it's also a help request, it's not really for detailing.

I've had the Jeep off-road a few times now. I try to avoid trips where I know the group is going to go through some tight brush, because well I really don't want to deal with the results on the paint lol. However this weekend I did manage to scuff up a textured black plastic fender on a rock while doing my first moderately difficult trail.

Here's a couple pics of the damage. Obviously I know only replacing the piece will fix it, but I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to make it a little less noticeable. The scratches are not very deep, mostly just scraped the texturing off and now they really stand out from the matte look. I was thinking of using a scrubby pad or even some fine sand paper to knock down the scraped up plastic a bit and then just hit the whole fender in 303 and see what happens. Thoughts from any of you pros?

Oh and yeah I will be eventually replacing the fenders, all of them, with some metal ones that can be easily touched up with rustoleum if they get scraped. My main intent is to keep the actual factory paint intact lol. It will probably be a while before I get those though. It's about 1K for all four corners for the ones I want.

I kinda came to the realization that the Jeep is not like my old 350Z where I want to keep it showcar perfect. I'd never be able to enjoy getting to some great photography spots if I did (and that's one of the reasons I bought it), but that doesn't mean I'm going to intentionally go out and beat it up either like some of those guys do. Also here's a few pics just for fun from the trip this last weekend where the damage occurred.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fixing an "uh oh" and what I've been up to-jeep01-jpg   Fixing an "uh oh" and what I've been up to-jeep02-jpg   Fixing an "uh oh" and what I've been up to-jeep03-jpg   Fixing an "uh oh" and what I've been up to-jeep04-jpg   Fixing an "uh oh" and what I've been up to-jeep05-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fixing an "uh oh" and what I've been up to

Welcome back
    Always good to see a utility vehicle used to its potential.
    No comments on the scrape from this side of the peanut gallery
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no pro, so maybe I'm just wasting your time, but I have an idea. They have small round brush attachments for drills to where the brush faces straight out from the end of the drill. I think they may be for taking rust off of metal. It may help to blend the scratches. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought of plasti dipping the flares? It should cover that fairly well, be durable and easy to touch up.

Post Thanks / Like

My friend applied bed liner to his. Doesn't look the best, but it's very protective!
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking to get some Rust-oleum trim and bumper paint and this was the frequently bought together item with it, says it's sandable. Spray to fill it, then sand it down and repaint?

Sandable Primer

Post Thanks / Like

You guys got me thinking now. It would require a lot of prep and taping, but I was going to get some of the textured rustoleum to touch up the powder coating that got ripped up on my rock sliders (keeps the factory paint along the bottoms of the doors from getting smashed up). I could probably use that, or if Krylon has a version of their plastic paint, on all four of the fenders and coat the entirety of each piece. I bet the texturing would hide it pretty well if I sanded down the scratches a bit first. Or yeah I could just bedline them. Hmmmm.