autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

MSDS Sheets & the like... What's in our products?!?

After reading about new waxes being homebrewed all-naturally, Corey's review on environmentally safe APCs, and the like it got me thinking: do we really know what's in our products and would that information effect our buying of certain products? Ten years ago, I would have said, emphatically, "No! I want the best product no matter of its health or environmental consequences!"

Lucky for me, this is ten farther years of being smarter and things that are detrimental to my health are being tossed. The reason I'm posting is, however, if anyone knows of a single resource where I can lick up the dangerous products (even if they're VOC compliant, doesn't mean there's no hazards) and see what the products are made of?

For example, Amazing Roll Off does wonders for tires, but some of the ingredients give me pause. No disrespect to the manufacturer, distributor, user, etc., it is just a personal choice.

I would love to see that kind of information for all products. In fact, in more of a customer comment, it would be great if PBMG could link to the MSDS report though the state agency, not through the competitor's website.

How do you all see the hidden dangers, and what, if any, precautions do you take when buying products? Knowledge is power. Companies should continue to stand by their product even when the ingredients are known. If not, then we shouldn't be giving them our money in the first place.

Look forward to everyone's comments (am I crazy lol) and responses. Happy detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MSDS Sheets & the like... What's in our products?!?

That may be more work than all vendors want to do. We're in the middle of replacing the business software for one of my clients that sells lots of industrial chemicals. They've always had the MSDS sheets for their products stored in their own systems.

We decided that those sheets (BTW, everyone seems to have dropped the M - they are now known as SDS sheets), needed to be on their web site.

Web site is Joomla and PHP code. Internal business system is running on Windows. Took some work, but we've exposed the Windows File directory to the PHP/Joomla system, and with some custom code, have the web site able to browse the directory, select the correct SDS sheet(s), and allow the user to link to the PDF files that store them.

Many companies don't necessarily have the IT skills to accomplish that, particularly if their systems are all packages.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

MSDS forums in the USA are pretty bland stuff and give away few details. At best they will disclose the presence of known dangerous chemical provided the company lists them as active ingredients.
    European MSDS forms tend to disclose more.

Kappy

Just prior to placing my first order for detailing supplies I started to think about how few chemical products I use in my house, and don't use any on my lawn or landscaping. I did some research on this forum and came across the Eco Touch line, so I included a few of their products in my order.

So far I've tried the wheel cleaner, tire shine and interior cleaner, all of which seemed to do a very good job. I have some additional samples of other products but haven't used them yet.

I admit I'm very new at this and haven't used any other products for comparison, but I'm willing to sacrifice a little shine, if that's even the case, for a safer, more environmentally friendly product.

Post Thanks / Like

MSDS' are another tool we can use to search out hazardous ingredients.
    Using the CAS#'s of such ingredients, as another tool, can allow us to go more in depth.

Most "Consumer Products" (including car-care products), in the USA, do not fall
    under the auspices of watchdog groups like the EPA. And until they all do:

Yes...There are manufacturers of car-care products that readily supply the MSDS' of their products.
    Others are like getting blood from a turnip.

I'm more prone to buy from the former.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

What exactly are you worried about in Amazing Roll Off? Ethylene Glycol? Don't drink it and you'll be fine, it's a great cleaner.

I think that is a major point that must be considered. There are A LOT of hazardous substances (google EPA List of Lists if you don't believe me) and you'll go crazy worrying about all of them. I feel the most important thing is to know exactly what it is you are working with, what its true dangers are, and how to correctly respond to problems if need be.

I'm not too concerned about any chemical if I know what it is and how to use it appropriately. I encourage you to further research a product if like it but are worried about it before you abandon it.

Also, the EPA is not too concerned about MSDS's. Their main focus is the environment. OSHA is the agency most concerned about them due to their mission of worker safety. MSDS's, or the new SDS, are just a safety summary of what hazardous ingredients are in a product, what the dangers are, exposure limits, how to properly respond to exposure or a spill, and regulatory requirements.

It is my understanding that ALL chemical manufacturers or distributors are required to supply the correct labels and a MSDS to employers buying the chemicals under OSHA's Hazardous Communication Guidelines. I would be very worried about a company that would not easily comply with this.
    We are the music makers....and we are the dreamers of dreams.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinwhiskers View Post
    What exactly are you worried about in Amazing Roll Off? Ethylene Glycol? Don't drink it and you'll be fine, it's a great cleaner.

I feel the most important thing is to know exactly what it is you are working with, what its true dangers are, and how to correctly respond to problems if need be.

I'm not too concerned about any chemical if I know what it is and how to use it appropriately. I encourage you to further research a product if like it but are worried about it before you abandon it.

Also, the EPA is not too concerned about MSDS's. Their main focus is the environment. OSHA is the agency most concerned about them due to their mission of worker safety. MSDS's, or the new SDS, are just a safety summary of what hazardous ingredients are in a product, what the dangers are, exposure limits, how to properly respond to exposure or a spill, and regulatory requirements.
    I simply used ARO as an example because a previous thread mentioned a health concern associated with it. I too do a lot of research regarding the products I use, thus the basis for this thread. I do not base decisions on just one factor, but taking into account all relevant information.

In addition, I am not a professional detailer and thus do not need the "professional" strength products that may contain more harmful substances. That being said, I like to use the best product for the job.

Even knowing the ingredients and taking precautions, sometimes exposure happens. It can be inhalation, skin exposure, or ingestion, as you mentioned. Sometimes just don't drink it and you'll be fine doesn't cut it. I simply want other consumers and professionals opinions on how they evaluate the harmful properties of some of their products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Radarryan View Post
    I simply used ARO as an example because a previous thread mentioned a health concern associated with it. I too do a lot of research regarding the products I use, thus the basis for this thread. I do not base decisions on just one factor, but taking into account all relevant information.

In addition, I am not a professional detailer and thus do not need the "professional" strength products that may contain more harmful substances. That being said, I like to use the best product for the job.

Even knowing the ingredients and taking precautions, sometimes exposure happens. It can be inhalation, skin exposure, or ingestion, as you mentioned. Sometimes just don't drink it and you'll be fine doesn't cut it. I simply want other consumers and professionals opinions on how they evaluate the harmful properties of some of their products.
    Here in lies your flaw. My mention of just don't drink it is not a whimsical snarky comment. By researching the chemical you would find that it's main source of toxicity comes via ingestion. People, especially children, were more prone to drinking it because it has a sweet taste, therefore there was a move to find a replacement that did not have this this characteristic.

A MSDS will tell you exposure limits and other useful information such as ventilation requirements, safety equipment, etc. Being exposed to a chemical is not a dangerous event in and of itself. Most chemcials have exposure limits that are based on eight hour averages. Coming into contact with a chemical is usually not an emergency situation or even a situation.

Unfortunately the best chemicals are usually the ones with more dangers attached to them. Ask any body shop if they feel Eraser can stack up to a solvent. I certainly understand where you are coming from. It is important to know what you are working with, but its just as important to know what to do with it.

I guess it comes down to personal preference and comfort level. I work in an industry that uses severe chemicals and i know a little about safe handling. Good advise would be to never use anything you are uncomfortable with, after all its just a car.
    We are the music makers....and we are the dreamers of dreams.