autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Need an experienced and passionate detailer in St. Petersburg?

Need an experienced and passionate detailer in St. Petersburg?

You don't have to be "Pro" as in a person that's been detailing for money for years but that won't count against you either.

I am looking for someone that is passionate about perfecting paint...

So who do we have in St. Petersburg, Florida?

Post Thanks / Like
    If only you needed someone in houston!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AG Online
    Chase
    Mine: 2017 GMC Sierra SLT Z71, 6.2L Crew Cab
    Hers: 2016 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 EcoBoost

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need an experienced and passionate detailer in St. Petersburg?

You couldn't by chance bring the project to East Petersburg could you? East Petersburg, Pennsylvania

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, if you need help with something over in St. Petersburg, let me know. I am only an hour away and I don't mind driving.
    Brandon Gardner
    President
    Superior Auto Detailing, LLC.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorAutoLLC View Post
    Mike, if you need help with something over in St. Petersburg, let me know. I am only an hour away and I don't mind driving.

I'll post some pictures today of what this project is...

Mike Phillips

Okay, here's the car and then the story...

1967 Mustang Notchback with metallic single stage paint, not sure if it's original but I'll try to find out...

The owner's mom contacted me after researching how to restore single stage paint on classic cars. Her son is stationed in Washington and left her with his 1967 Mustang.

He plans on shipping it to Washing this summer. The mom does not have a garage to store the car in but she does try to keep it covered.

She says the paint is oxidized. She's says she's tried a Meguiar's cleaner/wax and Swirl X and she says there's a lot of "black" coming off the paint.

This would be the ALUMINUM FLAKE inside the single stage enamel paint. This leads me to think this is either the original paint or very old re-paint.

Note I explained where the black comes from in my article and I also point out that Single Stage Metallic Paint is the HARDEST paint to restore due to the aluminum flake oxidizing INSIDE the paint.

You can get all the details by reading my article on this topic here,

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Single Stage Metallic Paint = Difficult to Restore
    Single stage, non-metallic paints like the above paint on the Ranchero are actually very easy to fix because the problem is for the most part just topical, that is the problem is just on the surface. All you have to do is remove the dead paint off the surface and if there's enough paint left then it's just a matter of polishing what's left to a high gloss. The most difficult paints to restore are single stage metallic paints.

The reason single stage metallic paints are the most difficult to restore is because not only does the paint itself oxidize, that is the resin used as the binder, (generally some type of seed oil like Flaxseed oil or Cottonseed oil), but also the aluminum flakes embodied inside the paint oxidize. This is where the problem lies.

It's a problem because the entire exterior surface of each individual aluminum flake oxidizes over time but you and I can only work on the surface of the paint and thus we can only work on the portion of the flake that is exposed at the surface level. Any portion of each aluminum flake that is below the surface and is surrounded by paint cannot be cleaned or polished so there's no way to remove the oxidation on the portions of the flakes inside the paint.

Oxidized Aluminum Turns Black
    With metallic single stage paints, oxidation can show up as a darkening effect on medium to light colored paints because the aluminum metal flakes embodied inside the paint will stain or discolor the paint with a grayish black color.

If you’ve ever polished uncoated aluminum then you’ve seen this grayish black color coming off the aluminum and onto your polishing cloth as you work a metal polish over it. This same type of oxidation is taking place to the aluminum flake inside the paint.

Polishing Uncoated Aluminum

Oxidized Aluminum Comes Off Black

It's the black residue you see on the cloth in the last picture that "Emma" is seeing when she rubs a cleaner/wax or polish onto the paint on the Mustang. This is normal but it's also a sign the paint needs a thorough cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like

When they doing this project?

Mike Phillips

Hi Emma,

Good talking to you on the phone. Here's the link to the article I told you about on the topic of taking your car's current paint job to its maximum potential.

I recommend you send the link to this thread to your son and let him read through this thread and the below thread and maybe look at some of the pictures I've included.

"Taking your car's paint to it's maximum potential"

It could be that until your son has the money to get a "good" paint job on this classic Mustang that he might opt to do the #7 rub-out and then polish and wax and enjoy driving a shiny 1967 Mustang for a while.

IF you want someone to come rub it out, it looks like we have a guy by the name of Brandon Gardner that is willing to tackle this project. I know Brandon personally and I will vouch for his professionalism and credibility. He is more than qualified to do the #7 rub-out on this classic Mustang with the ORIGINAL single stage paint.

Here's his website with his contact information....

Superior Auto Detailing

Good luck to you and your son no matter what you decide to do and tell your son I say thank you for his service to our country.

Mike Phillips

Heck,

If you can find someone to drive the car over here to Stuart, Florida I'll assemble a team of guys and we'll take this on as an Extreme Makeover like we do for a lot of cool cars that enter our studio...

Click the link below and you can check out some of the work we do here at Autogeek...

Cars that have been through the Autogeek Show Car Makeover and Extreme Makeover process...

Post Thanks / Like

Wish I was close to you love to come help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast