autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Having a sealant issue...

I use Menzerna Power Lock as my LSP, usually put 2 coats on about 1 or more apart, and when I wash my car, I use CG Hybrid V7 during the drying stage to "touch up" the MPL, but to also as an aid for a safe drying method as to not create any "drying swirls/scratches".

I usually wash my car anywhere from once or twice a week. Yesterday, I washed my car and the water did not bead one bit, it literally stuck to the paint and just slowly... SLOWLY... sheeted off. The paint felt squeaky as if no wax was present. I've been having this issue ever since I've started using the V7. The V7 is a nice product and I'm not really thinking that it's the problem in this whole equation, but what else could be causing this problem?

I'm pretty obsessive about how my car's paint looks, feels, beads, etc. I think it's safe to say that the majority of us here are similar... it's a sickness, lol. But it's really aggravating me. So after I washed my car yesetrday, just to keep myself sane, I clayed the entire car and applied another coat of MPL and only let it haze a few minutes before removing it (I usually allow it to dry for an hour and then remove it).

MPL seems to be a very recommended sealant and I personally love it, but I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the use of the Hybird V7 is "clashing" with the MPL. I just don't understand how one week my paint beads like no other and then the next week, it's like the paint had not one drop of protection on it. From the time of the last wash to yesterday's wash, it had rained a little bit. I didn't drive through any heavy storms or nasty roads or anything other than my normal driving routine, to work and back.

Has anyone experienced this before? I almost feel like I need to start exploring new sealant options. It's not in my head, that's for sure. One week the water beads so nicely, then it just sticks to the paint like no sealant is present.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Having a sealant issue...

It's quite possible, some products don't play well with others...

Have you used a strong detergent that may have compromised the protection?

One way to test is to clean a convenient panel and coat using Menzerna Power Lock Sealant as you normally would. Don't change your method as your trying to determine where the root cause of the problem lies.

Wash it as usual to test its durability.
    Do this a few times over the course of a few weeks.
    If everything continues to appear normal add Chemical Guys Hybird V7 and monitor the situation..

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    It's quite possible, some products don't play well with others...

Have you used a strong detergent that may have compromised the protection?

One way to test is to clean a convenient panel and coat using Menzerna Power Lock Sealant as you normally would. Don't change your method as your trying to determine where the root cause of the problem lies.

Wash it as usual to test its durability.
    Do this a few times over the course of a few weeks.
    If everything continues to appear normal add Chemical Guys Hybird V7 and monitor the situation..
    The only time I use a strong detergent is when I use Dwn to strip all the wax and start fresh. I then make sure my wash mitts get thoroughly washed and rinsed before the car is washed again. I once made the mistake of not doing that and I nearly washed all the sealant off the paint. I was annoyed, lol.

It's just frustrating when I see my paint bead for a week or two and then see it stick to the paint. Makes me feel like all the effort I put into keeping the paint protected is done for nothing. I live in Florida and the sun isn't at it's hottest just yet, so it's not like the MPL melts off... it's a strong sealant, anyway.

Sometimes I wonder if the chemicals in the V7 conflict with the chemicals in the MPL. Chemical reactions do happen, lol.

I may just stop using the V7, use the pooling water technique to dry and follow up with damp microfiber safely, and if the paint beads like mad, maybe that'll give me an answer. If that's the case, I've used so much V7 that I really can't return it. I like CG products, but I'm not sure if the V7 is working well for me. That or I could try switching to JetSeal 109. As we all know, most company's products tend to work with each other.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else have experience with this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TH3M B0N3Z View Post
    Anyone else have experience with this?
    Tell me more about the squeakiness I get that with wolfgang spritz sealant. Could wolfgang spritz sealant be made by chemical guys, are they the same v7 and wolfgang spritz sealant?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lkotsios View Post
    Tell me more about the squeakiness I get that with wolfgang spritz sealant. Could wolfgang spritz sealant be made by chemical guys, are they the same v7 and wolfgang spritz sealant?
    I haven't used the Wolfgang spritz before, but when I use the V7, it doesn't squeak after the main application, but when I washed my car last night and observed (in horror) the water sticking to the paint, I rubbed my hand gently on the paint and it has a tense feel to it and had that "squeaky clean" feel and sound.

Maybe it's just the nature of the V7 or any spray sealant. I'm gonna wash my car again this weekend and then apply another coat of MPL, let it dry for an hour or so, and then I'm just gonna wash the car as I normally would without using the V7 after every wash. If the paint continues to bead really well, maybe I'll see my answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny, I just performed a detail one of my cars the other day and I noticed the same thing. I used Klasse AIO and then topped it off with V7. Keep in mind this car sits out all the time. Today was the first day it rained since I applied the KAIO and V7. I came home in my other car and was excited to see the beading action, but was very disappointed. The water on the car looks as if the KAIO has worn off.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OZD 35 View Post
    Funny, I just performed a detail one of my cars the other day and I noticed the same thing. I used Klasse AIO and then topped it off with V7. Keep in mind this car sits out all the time. Today was the first day it rained since I applied the KAIO and V7. I came home in my other car and was excited to see the beading action, but was very disappointed. The water on the car looks as if the KAIO has worn off.
    See what I mean? LOL. It IS disappointing. Makes me feel like my effort goes towards nothing.

I've been pretty happy with the CG soap I use for my foam gun and wash and also their EZ Creme glaze, but the V7 is sending me mixed messages. At first, it seems to leave a nice slick feel to the paint, but then a few weeks later after repeated use, the paint mysteriously stops beading as if everything has worn down. Obviously waxes and sealants degrade over time, but a sealant shouldn't degrade after a few weeks. On average, I'd say I probably seal the paint with MPL maybe every month or two, even though it can be left for months, that's just how obsessive I am. If my paint ain't soft, slick or doesn't bead water, I'm pissed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TH3M B0N3Z View Post
    See what I mean? LOL. It IS disappointing. Makes me feel like my effort goes towards nothing.

I've been pretty happy with the CG soap I use for my foam gun and wash and also their EZ Creme glaze, but the V7 is sending me mixed messages. At first, it seems to leave a nice slick feel to the paint, but then a few weeks later after repeated use, the paint mysteriously stops beading as if everything has worn down. Obviously waxes and sealants degrade over time, but a sealant shouldn't degrade after a few weeks. On average, I'd say I probably seal the paint with MPL maybe every month or two, even though it can be left for months, that's just how obsessive I am. If my paint ain't soft, slick or doesn't bead water, I'm pissed.
    I've been extremely happy with all my CG products, but if this keeps up V7 is out.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OZD 35 View Post
    I've been extremely happy with all my CG products, but if this keeps up V7 is out.
    I may conduct an experiment, lol. Go maybe a few washes without V7, see how MPL holds up, then go a few washes with V7 and see what happens.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast