autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Two Bucket Rule...

I would like to propose a new rule we educate neighbors about called the "Two Bucket Rule" that simply states that "he who decides to mow their lawn while their neighbor is in THE MIDDLE of hand washing their car is subject to being considered a tool."

While halfway through washing my black 550i both of my fiance's neighbors decided now would be a perfect time to mow their lawns. I want to cry, lol...

And, in unrelated news, I'm sorry I've been out of pocket for the last couple weeks, I've been sick with a bad case (bleeding tonsils) of strep throat and viral meningitis... after which the client I was contacted out to for development decided their timeline couldn't wait for me to get better and discharged me.

Lucky Joe,
    Wannabe Detailer

Sent from my HTC DNA

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Two Bucket Rule...

Sorry about your condition, dude. Hope you get better soon. Being sick is a drag.

Just the other day, I was washing my car and I heard the next door neighbor mowing his lawn, but since my car was still wet, I didn't really think of it much.

Later on when my car was all dried off and ready for the final touches, the guy was washing his truck (and very horribly I must say), but he said to me, "I heard you washing your car, so I tried my best to keep the dirt and grass from blowing over the fence while you were working." People hardly think like that anymore. I told him I appreciated his gesture and I never had a speck of dust or dirt on my car while he was mowing.

Most people don't care about that crap. I had my last car parked next to a curb and the lawn people came out edged by that car and put a nick in the paint on the right fender just after it got new paint. They must have hit the curb and a chunk of cement flew off. Another time, they were removing a baby palm tree trunk and it fell and hit someone's car, and I swear I saw a HUGE dent in the quarter panel and they just walked off. Maybe I heard wrong, but I'm pretty sure I heard a thunk and then saw that tree trunk on the ground next to a car with a huge dent in the side. That or my car would be super clean and they'd just blow tons of dirt and grass all over my car and it would be more filthy than before I washed it! I know it's their job to mow, but my car always comes out looking like someone dumped sand all over it and everyone else's cars look the same as they did before, lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to park my car on the side as well. The Lawn Mower guys i talked to them an they said come every other thursday.

They said the'll try to be careful I said thanks now i just have to remember to move it Wed night.

Street Sweeping is every Mon and Friday and if you don't move the car the city will fine you.

I am planning on getting my own place soon so wont have to worry about that anymore...

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    I have to park my car on the side as well. The Lawn Mower guys i talked to them an they said come every other thursday.

They said the'll try to be careful I said thanks now i just have to remember to move it Wed night.

Street Sweeping is every Mon and Friday and if you don't move the car the city will fine you.

I am planning on getting my own place soon so wont have to worry about that anymore...
    Yeah, I live in an apartment complex, so I get a variety of goofy people. If anyone parks next to my car really close or all crooked and I notice it, I'll move my car, lol.

Just yesterday at work, I parked next to a white Scion tC. It was backed in the space, I pulled in the opposite way, and when I got to my car, I saw a white speck of what appeared to be paint on my quarter panel. The doors on a coupe are pretty big, but the tC's doors seem to be even bigger, so I think the guy bumped me, but no damage was left behind. I simply took the white speck of whatever off with my fingernail and it was okay. The driver of the white tC has all kinds of scuffs on his rocker panels, too. I don't care how much a car costs, whatever you spend on it or finance, take care of the damn thing. I've hit my rockers a time or two with my shoes on accident, but no marks have been left. The black marks on the white tC's rockers were huge and unsightly. Some people want nice cars, but they don't wanna take care of them. If I couldn't bring myself to taking care of my car, I'd just force myself to drive a well-operating junker.

Post Thanks / Like

It is amusing how one neighbor seems to show up at the same time but to do some other choir. Kinda like, I cannot wash my cars correctly, but I can water the lawn.

Scott

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    It is amusing how one neighbor seems to show up at the same time but to do some other choir. Kinda like, I cannot wash my cars correctly, but I can water the lawn.
    One neighbor next to my parents has a red Tacoma X-Runner and I watched him wash it with a tiny bucket full of BLACK water and a shop rag. I think I about died, lol. Somehow, his paint looks alright, but I'm sure under close inspection, it looks like hammered sh!t.

We were talking about washing and all that, and I mentioned that if my paint doesn't bead, I get mad, lol. Then he told me that he really doesn't worry about waxing or paint beading and that if the paint ever got bad, he'd just get it repainted. Sure, that's a more affordable alternative.

I showed him some of my car washing tools like the foam gun and two 5 gallon buckets, etc., and I think he thought I was a little overboard. I can be overboard, but I do it all for a reason. He didn't seem interested in all the detailing stuff, even down to the soap I was using. I mentioned it was CG Maxi Suds II, and he said it's probably just "Mr. Bubble" soap, LOL.

As DIY and pro detailers, we probably spend some good money on car stuff. Some stuff is seriously marked up, but some things are worth spending the extra money and I don't mind spending a little money to feel better about what I'm using on my car's paint. And to this day, I haven't experienced any adverse effects on my paint, wheels, tires, interior, etc. So I can honestly say I'm doing something right, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a neighbor spray painting chairs today outside near the cars. Needless to say I caught it before they started and got my truck moved to the next street.

I hope they come to me to have the overspray removed from the white car
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TH3M B0N3Z View Post
    Sorry about your condition, dude. Hope you get better soon. Being sick is a drag.

Just the other day, I was washing my car and I heard the next door neighbor mowing his lawn, but since my car was still wet, I didn't really think of it much.

Later on when my car was all dried off and ready for the final touches, the guy was washing his truck (and very horribly I must say), but he said to me, "I heard you washing your car, so I tried my best to keep the dirt and grass from blowing over the fence while you were working." People hardly think like that anymore. I told him I appreciated his gesture and I never had a speck of dust or dirt on my car while he was mowing.

Most people don't care about that crap. I had my last car parked next to a curb and the lawn people came out edged by that car and put a nick in the paint on the right fender just after it got new paint. They must have hit the curb and a chunk of cement flew off. Another time, they were removing a baby palm tree trunk and it fell and hit someone's car, and I swear I saw a HUGE dent in the quarter panel and they just walked off. Maybe I heard wrong, but I'm pretty sure I heard a thunk and then saw that tree trunk on the ground next to a car with a huge dent in the side. That or my car would be super clean and they'd just blow tons of dirt and grass all over my car and it would be more filthy than before I washed it! I know it's their job to mow, but my car always comes out looking like someone dumped sand all over it and everyone else's cars look the same as they did before, lol.
    You have nice neighbors. Ours get the back-pack style blowed out and blow EVERY thing into our yard.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kjk66ss View Post
    You have nice neighbors. Ours get the back-pack style blowed out and blow EVERY thing into our yard.
    Yeah, my dad hates it when people blow grass clippings and leaves into the street. He always rakes it all up and puts in garbage bags to be picked up... and the guy is nearly 59, lol.

My parent's neighborhood is still a nice place after 30+ years. It was their first home together and they're still there, lol. Nice little place, though. If they ever wanted to hand me and my family that house, I'd move in a second.

Post Thanks / Like
    My new neighbor had a regular white towel (damp) and she was washing her whole car like that. I went over to introduce myself (cos she's new and pretty little female, probably between 28 or 30) and all i hear was "scratch, scratch, scrape, scrape" as she went back and fourth with the towel. it was a gold Toyota Corolla probably 2004 and up.

I told her you know your scratching your car. She said ehh i don't care. I was like ok nice to meet you. I'll see you around haha...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast