autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Inspecting a truck

My Gf's sister truck was rear ended and today she is supposed to go pick it up. I asked if she wanted me to go to just let me know.

It was supposed to be painted. So my question is what should I look for? I dont want to come off as Mr. Know it all and be all rude. I am even thinking about just talking to her and advising her. Since it i her call at the end.

I only know about paint not auto body work. I was going to make sure the paint matched, orange peel matched, it didnt have to much dirt or fish eyes.

How much is to much to expect?

When I worked at the shop we always tried to do as best as possible, but it was a whole team process. At the end we presented the car to customers and hoped for the best. We did get those customers that were just rude and basically wanted a whole brand new car. (That's how I am not trying to come off as)

Cos what MirandaAutoSpa posted yesterday got me thinking.

Any advice would be great thanks...

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Inspecting a truck

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    My Gf's sister truck was rear ended and today she is supposed to go pick it up. I asked if she wanted me to go to just let me know.

It was supposed to be painted. So my question is what should I look for? I dont want to come off as Mr. Know it all and be all rude. I am even thinking about just talking to her and advising her. Since it i her call at the end.

I only know about paint not auto body work. I was going to make sure the paint matched, orange peel matched, it didnt have to much dirt or fish eyes.

How much is to much to expect?

When I worked at the shop we always tried to do as best as possible, but it was a whole team process. At the end we presented the car to customers and hoped for the best. We did get those customers that were just rude and basically wanted a whole brand new car. (That's how I am not trying to come off as)

Cos what MirandaAutoSpa posted yesterday got me thinking.

Any advice would be great thanks...
    The first time my last car was in the body shop for a month, I was so excited to get it back that I totally missed all the incorrect and unprofessional work they did.

LOOK IT OVER REALLY WELL, in other words.

You're gf's sister is the customer, she should be happy with it and the truck should basically be like new after the repairs. She's paying decent money for insurance to cover the truck and she shouldn't have to live with a half-assed job.

I'd make sure all the body lines/seems fit correctly, make sure they didn't damage anything else that was unrelated to the accident, make sure the paint matches as you previously stated, just make sure the truck looks the way it did before the accident.

If there's anything that doesn't pass your inspection and the customer's expectations, have them fix it.

When I first picked up my last car from the body shop, they did all sorts of things wrong. And at that particular time, they had messed up and jerry-rigged all sorts of things, I just didn't notice it until the last body shop visit from some corrective repairs. Turned out to be $3,000 in damage that they didn't fix, and this was done at a "reputable", State Farm Select/Preferred body shop, Ferman Collision Center. I'll never go there again. A wrecked car is better than the work they perform.