autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

So much for the detail last week

So last week I finally got to use my 7424 on my car. Was really happy with the job it did and happy I had my car looking real nice.

I go out to get a haircut on my way home I have a green to go straight, going 40, dude making a right on a red gets out in the lane then stops, I hit the brakes and lock up all four and well the pictures tell the rest

Luckly the damage stopped at the fender and didnt go to the passenger side door panel. In addition to what you see I think I screwed all 4 tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even if you can, don't try to open that passenger door. It's very very very likely that it'll chip some paint on the door where it meets the fender.

Do the body work yourself, simply bolt on the new fender and bumper and save a lot of money.

Post Thanks / Like
    So does your neck suddenly hurt? *wink_wink*

Just kidding, but seriously, don't let this guys insurance jack you around. You pick a good body shop with a good reputation, and make them pay for it. Find someone that will do a good job with your car, body work is really hit or miss, and is easy to screw up. Also, try and bring it to a qualified suspension place before you have the insurance adjuster come out, so they can look and make sure nothing happened other than flat spotting of the tires (which I doubt since you were doing 40). Once the paint has cured for ~10 days, you will be able to make that panel look as good as it once did. Really sorry to see that it happened. Good luck.
    2005 Phantom Black Metallic GTO-M6
    Head/Cammed-450rwhp/415rwtq
    1/4--12.1 @ 118mph, 1.7 60'

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn that sucks. New car too..

Did the guy stop?
    Obsessed is a word that lazy people use for Dedicated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitethunder46
    Even if you can, don't try to open that passenger door. It's very very very likely that it'll chip some paint on the door where it meets the fender.

Do the body work yourself, simply bolt on the new fender and bumper and save a lot of money.
    Yeah I opened it a few times then noticed that so I havent done it since. I was considering that since a fender for this car is pretty cheap, but I already went to insurance with my dad.

We both have state farm and my agent said they should be able to get the deductable for me from him so I won't have to pay anything. So I think I'll be going through insurance now.
    This was it just one week ago

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greg'sgoat
    So does your neck suddenly hurt? *wink_wink*

Just kidding, but seriously, don't let this guys insurance jack you around. You pick a good body shop with a good reputation, and make them pay for it. Find someone that will do a good job with your car, body work is really hit or miss, and is easy to screw up. Also, try and bring it to a qualified suspension place before you have the insurance adjuster come out, so they can look and make sure nothing happened other than flat spotting of the tires (which I doubt since you were doing 40). Once the paint has cured for ~10 days, you will be able to make that panel look as good as it once did. Really sorry to see that it happened. Good luck.
    Haha thats what a witness said, "does your neck hurt, because you know you can get a lot of money if it does" I'm fine I just want my car fixed.

I think my tires are ok but I have no abs so I left like 15feet of skid marks and when I looked behind me all I could see was tire smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ021
    Damn that sucks. New car too..

Did the guy stop?
    Yeah well the guy was stopped when I hit him. I pulled off quick got him too also got his info myself, then the cop got his info. Cop said he was at fault, I think he got a ticket for it too. His car was worse than mine, I was pretty surprised when I saw my front.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man that sucks, brand new vehicle too. Glad nothing serious happened but it's a bummer to see such a good detail done to the vehicle go to waist but hopefully you will get it looking like new again. Hey this is a perfect time to experiment before it gets fixed...okay everyone get the wet sanding paper out and the rotaries out hahahaha...just kidding.

Hope everything works out, keep us posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica
    Man that sucks, brand new vehicle too. Glad nothing serious happened but it's a bummer to see such a good detail done to the vehicle go to waist but hopefully you will get it looking like new again. Hey this is a perfect time to experiment before it gets fixed...okay everyone get the wet sanding paper out and the rotaries out hahahaha...just kidding.

Hope everything works out, keep us posted.
    Ha that thought did pass my mind, can't screw it up anymore. I just took it out for a drive the steering is off and the tires are making noise so I'm pretty sure I'll need new ones. I have had the car since sept 05, but have always been proud of it looking spotless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Forced
    Yeah I opened it a few times then noticed that so I havent done it since. I was considering that since a fender for this car is pretty cheap, but I already went to insurance with my dad.

We both have state farm and my agent said they should be able to get the deductable for me from him so I won't have to pay anything. So I think I'll be going through insurance now.
    This was it just one week ago
    You certainly shouldn't have to pay anything. I also have state farm, and had a similar accident last year. Basically what you'll do is this: Go to any body shop (go to your local checy dealer since they wil charge the most). Get a quote from them, and then the chevy dealer will fax this estimate to State farm. State farm will then literally send you a check for this amount. You can do whatever you want then. You can just go to the Chevy dealer and have them fix it (if it ends up being more than the check, they will re-fax the new cost to State farm, and state farm will pay the rest), or you can go to a cheaper body shop and keep the rest of the money or do it yourself.

When I had my fender bender, I had my quote for about $1800. I did all the work myself except for having a body shop re-paint my front bumper, but I prepped it and sanded it. I also found a matching fender at a local junk yard for $125 painted OEM and matched perfectly.

Long story short, I profited over $1000, and I too have State Farm.

Here's the link from a long time ago about my re-build: My fender bender Re-build

Post Thanks / Like
    you know what they say.....

waxing a car either brings massive downpour...or body panel damage

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast