autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you even respond to this sales pitch?

Let me make this simple. Wax does not bond to the clear coat, it sticks. Even using pristine wash methods ,wax will break down. Since wax is greasy in nature, dirt and grime will embed into the wax layer causing the finish to dull. Over time, washing will produce swirl marks. Normally, most hobbyists apply more wax which is a temp solution, and then swirl mark removers with more wax by hand. Then they realize that is not working, so compound, polish, or a polisher will be needed.

When will correction not be needed is my question? Answer : never. As long as you use wax this will be a problem you have live with. Once corrected, and re waxed it is just a matter of time before this same thing will happen again.
    The above is a statement made on another forum that I am a member of. I'm just curious as to how you would respond to this?

Oh, and make no mistake, it's the beginning of a sales pitch for a sealant/coating that he claims lasts for years and won't "swirl" like waxes and sealants.

Seems like a fundamental misunderstanding of how swirls are instilled and how wax works, eh? Just help me with the words, if only to help those reading his words who contemplate investing $50 in his particular flavor of sealant/coating, with the promise that they'll never have to correct their paint again!
    I see swirls everywhere!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you even respond to this sales pitch?

subscribed!

Post Thanks / Like

There are coatings that legitimately reduce the potential for wash induced marring; however, nothing that you can currently pour out of a bottle and onto your paint is "scratch proof."
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

If there was a coating that was scratch proof or a clear coat that is scratch proof. Then paint correction would never be needed. waxing is not the problem its in proper washing is where 95% of the marring and scratches come from. Is this person a professional detailer or just a weekend detailer?
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like

I know who wrote that. The guy is kind of a nut and has been banned or flamed mercilessly in the forums where he posts. He claims that scratches and swirls are caused by waxing. When people call him on it he gets insulting and belligerent. Like you said he's trying to sell some sort of acrylic sealant.
    He claims to be a detailer and has some videos on youtube.
    I wouldn't let him look at my car let alone detail it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1oldsalt View Post
    I know who wrote that. The guy is kind of a nut and has been banned or flamed mercilessly in the forums where he posts. He claims that scratches and swirls are caused by waxing. When people call him on it he gets insulting and belligerent. Like you said he's trying to sell some sort of acrylic sealant.
    Is this the same guy that was detailing the Bently with Fantastic?
    Brandon Gardner
    President
    Superior Auto Detailing, LLC.

Post Thanks / Like

I found those threads and read some. About the only thing he is specific with is his personal preference for sealants rather than waxes, and that everyone should be using them.

He hardly sends a clear message on any other point.

I just love how people use a "trigger" word simply to make their point seem more valid than others; specifically the comments and articles on acids that imply and support other comments on the Web that "acids" in wax are bad for paint; as if every acid will burn or degrade. Those posts and articles are wrong in an absolute sense. Maybe in a lab those articles have merit. In the real world, paint surfaces get bombarded with acids and alkalines every day.

Acids and alkalines are commonly added to products to achieve a form of balance, to increase a characteristic with a finished compound or mixture based on a goal. That characteristic could be anything; "gloss/reflectivity", "durability", "color", whatever. In fact, his comments about "pH-neutral" is a search for this balance. There are not many products and compounds out there today that are truly pH neutral across their useful lifecycle.

What he doesn't venture into is "personal preference" at all; which is why his tried-and-true sealant manufacturer also sells those "acidic" car wax, non-sealant-type products. He evaded the question with a simple, "I don't know (nor care)" response. Why? Simply because it detracts from his opinion that everyone should be moving to sealants.

I say, "let it be", "let him be".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    There are coatings that legitimately reduce the potential for wash induced marring; however, nothing that you can currently pour out of a bottle and onto your paint is "scratch proof."
    Agreed. Which coating claim to "reduce the potential for wash marring"? I'd love to put a few of those out there for his readers.. You know, something with some legitimate research behind it, not just scratchy YouTube videos and research from other sealant companies..

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    If there was a coating that was scratch proof or a clear coat that is scratch proof. Then paint correction would never be needed. waxing is not the problem its in proper washing is where 95% of the marring and scratches come from. Is this person a professional detailer or just a weekend detailer?
    Todd
    He claims to have done this for over 30 years.. He also claims that his coating of choice has been around for this long as well, same formula.

Quote Originally Posted by 1oldsalt View Post
    Yup, das da guy! His latest claim is that his product is the exact same as a $500/gal airplane sealant.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorAutoLLC View Post
    Is this the same guy that was detailing the Bently with Fantastic?
    Dunno, probably not... He's pretty stuck on AT-5 and Dawn dish soap.

Post Thanks / Like
    If wax is the cause of swirls, how come the cars with the worse swirls are those that are never waxed / detailed / maintained ? Using that logic, those finishes should be pristine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    I found those threads and read some. About the only thing he is specific with is his personal preference for sealants rather than waxes, and that everyone should be using them.

He hardly sends a clear message on any other point.

I just love how people use a "trigger" word simply to make their point seem more valid than others; specifically the comments and articles on acids that imply and support other comments on the Web that "acids" in wax are bad for paint; as if every acid will burn or degrade. Those posts and articles are wrong in an absolute sense. Maybe in a lab those articles have merit. In the real world, paint surfaces get bombarded with acids and alkalines every day.

Acids and alkalines are commonly added to products to achieve a form of balance, to increase a characteristic with a finished compound or mixture based on a goal. That characteristic could be anything; "gloss/reflectivity", "durability", "color", whatever. In fact, his comments about "pH-neutral" is a search for this balance. There are not many products and compounds out there today that are truly pH neutral across their useful lifecycle.

What he doesn't venture into is "personal preference" at all; which is why his tried-and-true sealant manufacturer also sells those "acidic" car wax, non-sealant-type products. He evaded the question with a simple, "I don't know (nor care)" response. Why? Simply because it detracts from his opinion that everyone should be moving to sealants.

I say, "let it be", "let him be".
    I should , I really should. I explained that its bad science on his part, I attempted to be polite.. But now he's just trashing the detailing area of a few of my forum homes, and I want to at least be able to point out his inconsistencies and bad science. Like his statement that "Shampoo is for hair, not cars."

When someone says something like that it makes me wanna slap em!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast