autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Ongoing RUPES review - all opinions welcome!!

I posted this over a month ago in this thread:
    Tool Pron: Show me your tools!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TrKent View Post
    Thanks for the post RMM!

From what I gather:
    Rupes is a bit like Apple in the way that everything is proprietary. The Rupes Bigfoot System is just that, a complete polishing system. From the machines to the liquids, to get the most out of it, it must be used that way. At least, that's what Paul Dalton says. I don't have the white or yellow pads for the 21 yet nor the Rupes liquids, but should have them in a few weeks. I am picking up some spare panels to do some testing this week and I also have a Porsche Cayman S coming in this weekend.

Your idea of having an independent review is good, I'll take it a step further and set up an ongoing Rupes review thread. That way I can get information out about what I have now and then update it when my LHR15 comes in, along with the rest of the pads and liquids. Hopefully others who are now getting their Rupes will chime in as well. I am about to place an AG order for some MF and Hydrotech pads for the 21, hopefully they'll be here by this weekend!

The only two machines I will have to compare it to are the Flex 3401 and PC7424. Hopefully this review thread will help AG if they are debating carrying Rupes.

With soft paint and curvy body panels, the Porsche won't be the best to test out heavy cutting. And I will likely have to use the 3401 for some parts. But I do have a swirled-to-hell black '11 Mustang GT with 42k miles the weekend after. Ford's ceramiclear should be hard enough that I can use some heavy cut on it.

My hypothesis:
    This tool will not be beneficial to an amateur working on their own vehicle because of the cost of the machine and the proprietary items needed to reap its benefits.

~Travis
    Because I have still not received the RUPES polishing liquids I felt that I shouldn't start this. However, there is a large group of detailers that are following a very different approach with the RUPES. Mainly using MF pads & MG SMAT compounds for correction with RUPES pads & other polishes for finishing or a 1 step. This group seems to be getting absolutely amazing results with this combination. Could the complete RUPES system truly outperform this combination? That, I cannot tell yet.

Today I was asked:
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    Travis, got any new input? TIA!
    And in response, I answered:

here are the threads for the black mustang mentioned in the above post:
    Thread:
    Dream Detail - Trashed Black '11 Mustang. 41k Miles
    Video Thread:
    Dream Detail Video - Trashed 2011 Mustang in Black

While I didn't document this I tried a few spots of correction with the Flex 3401. Using MF pads & D300. With the same combination on the RUPES LHR21, the Flex could not finish down anywhere near as nice as the RUPES. It is my belief that had I used the Flex for compounding, this would have been a 3 step correction instead of a 2 step.

However, I still have not gotten my hands on the LHR15 or the RUPES polishing liquids despite trying for the past 4 months. I have been in contact with the 2 main distributors in attempts to get some. The current lack of distribution supports my hypothesis for now. My LHR15 should be shipping out any day now, so I could have it by late next week. There are a few cars lined up that would surely help in documenting the differences between the Flex & RUPES (especially a black Mercedes CL500 that may rival this Mustang). However, I no longer have my Porter Cable. A local well-known detailer does have a few Griots so perhaps he can lend me one for comparison.

I would also like the Griots 3in. buffer to try against the LHR75. The question here is: Is the LHR75 worth the extra $150? I can say with nearly 100% certainty that there is no better tool than the LHR75 for detailing motorcycles. But to the person who only details his own personal vehicles/bikes... is it worth the $150+ and the cost to set up a large capacity (well over 14gal) air compressor? That, I am not so certain of.
    Harley Davidson Fat Boy 1/200 Skull Paint Set with EXO - YouTube
    So far, my hypothesis remains:
    This tool will not be beneficial to an amateur working on their own vehicle because of the cost of the machine and the proprietary items needed to reap its benefits.

To reach a personal conclusion i will need to do some more:

Owner of Dream Detail LLC

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ongoing RUPES review - all opinions welcome!!

Thanks for the info! Want one!! Two actually

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to note, In the first quote I posted I mentioned the LC Hydrotech pads.

Conclusion on these pads: way too much vibration to be considered over the RUPES pads.

After using the RUPES Yellow pads on the Mustang, there is absolutely no reason to deal with the excessive vibration.
    In this part of a video of a Cayman S, I am one-handing the LHR21 with the red Hydrotech. It is hard to tell from the video but the vibration was ridiculous, even when I used two hands.. With the Yellow RUPES pads I could one hand this with no vibration.
    Dream Detail - Porsche Cayman S with EXO - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Because I have still not received the RUPES polishing liquids I felt that I shouldn't start this.

However, there is a large group of detailers that are following a very different approach with the RUPES. Mainly using MF pads & MG SMAT compounds for correction with RUPES pads & other polishes for finishing or a 1 step. This group seems to be getting absolutely amazing results with this combination.

There's always room for folks to think/act: 'Outside the Box'...IMHO. (M101, anyone)

Could the complete RUPES system truly outperform this combination? That, I cannot tell yet.

I'll ask: 'Will a person actually need the "complete Rupes-Sytem" for amazing results"?

So far, my hypothesis remains:
    All it takes is one "amateur" (such as myself)...
    With pocketsful of unlimited-discretionary-cash...
    To tear asunder your above hypothesis...

Again, IMHO.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    All it takes is one "amateur" (such as myself)...
    With pocketsful of unlimited-discretionary-cash...
    To tear asunder your above hypothesis...

Again, IMHO.

Bob
    Hmmm... perhaps the use of the word amateur is not right here. Thanks for the feedback. Maybe i should change it to reading:

This tool will not be beneficial to a non-business owning DIY-er working on their own vehicle because of the cost of the machine and the proprietary items needed to reap its benefits.

I would consider myself still an amateur, still no official training. The main focus here I guess is the difference in cost.

Post Thanks / Like

As for the other questions:

I'm definitely not limiting anyone to certain compounds, simply referring to what seems to be most widely used. I used FG400 in a few spots on the mustang. Corrected some RIDS more but finished down almost as nice as the D300.

So far it appears that the complete RUPES system is not needed to create great results. Is it needed to reap all of the benefits though?

Post Thanks / Like

Would you happen to have any Buff & Shine foam pads to compare to the Rupes pads ? Have seen a few comments that they are either the same or very similar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2change View Post
    Would you happen to have any Buff & Shine foam pads to compare to the Rupes pads ? Have seen a few comments that they are either the same or very similar.
    Don't have any of those. Does AG carry them? if not send me a link through PM where I can get some.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm... perhaps the use of the word amateur is not right here. Thanks for the feedback.

^^^You're Welcome!!^^^

Maybe i should change it to reading:

This tool will not be beneficial to a non-business owning DIY-er working on their own vehicle because of the cost of the machine and the proprietary items needed to reap its benefits.

IMHO...This is still implying a "class system"
    Do folks say: "Not everyone can afford a Flex and other items...whether they're proprietary or not"??

The main focus here I guess is the difference in cost.

Here is a thread I just started about the RUPES, trying to focus more on reviewing the polisher and comparison to others.
    Ongoing RUPES review - all opinions welcome!!

The ultimate goal of this thread will be to determine whether the price of the RUPES is worth it to the person who only details their own cars.
    From reading these two red-bolded statements, again and again, I've reached this conclusion:
    -First time I've read a products/tools review that is apt to become discriminatory against a person for not allegedly
    having the proper income level; or, that their personal vehicles are not deserved of such products/tools.

Just my point of view.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Bob,
    To further refine what the information i'm looking for would be to acknowledge that yes, I am looking at a person on a budget who is not sure whether they want to pony up the extra cash for this product. It's not discriminatory.

Does the extra cost provide extra results?

Are those extra results worth the extra to those on the fence about the extra expense?

If you have all the cash in the world to buy every single machine out there, then sure go ahead and buy it. I hear a lot of people talking about the extra expense of this machine and would like to acknowledge that while also getting information from many other people on what they are finding.

For a quick demonstration of what I mean:
    Griot's 3in: $95 + electricity

RUPES LHR75
    & air compressor to run it: $259 + $500 (or more) + more electricity

That equates to a tremendous price difference for anyone, no matter what "class" they may be in.

Does everyone buy Swissvax Crystal Rock? No, not even I am in that "class" to justify the extra expense for what may not be extra end results.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast