autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Installed my remaining LED's...

I couldn't sleep... for other reasons, so I decided now was the best time to perform the install. Bought LED's from VLED's for rear plate lights and reverse lights and dome lights. Then 6k LED fogs from iJDM.

Install was a snap... I had more issues trying to remove that stupid trunk plastic liner. I didn't bother removing it... I just removed one plastic screw cap then peeled the liner back. Easier than mucking with the whole liner and breaking something. Rest of the install was easy... dome light, just pull, done in 2 minutes. Fog light was wasy, just take radiator cover off. Rear plate lights, just 4 screws. Done.

My favorite of the bunch? The interior dome lights and reverse lights!!! Here's some install and completed pics, along with all my halogen OEM lights. What to do with them??? Throw them against the wall? lol...

Here's one side OEM, the other side VLED... see the difference? Love the white.

And now both

2012 Ford Mustang 5.0 - Kona Blue Christened name: MARILYN
    2012 Acura TSX S.E. - Silver Moon Christened name: TORI
    2013 Toyota Prius V - Blue Ribbon Metallic Christened name: PORTIA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Installed my remaining LED's...

Very nice!

I'm wondering how much further down the road you can see meaning are these more of a light color change or actually brighter with better illumination?

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I have LEDs for the back-up lights and plate, love em.
    'Cause there's just something women like about a pickup man.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to put LEDs in my MINI but the ECU checks the current in the circuit. Since LEDs draw much less current, it registers an error.

I could get resistor LEDs but somehow that feels... pointless? I do like the idea of never changing a bulb again though.

The other thing that bugs me slightly is that I worked for a lighting company and know the specific designs of reflectors are tied very closely to the shape of the intended bulb. LEDs get close to emulating it, but you'd be surprised what unintended changes you might end up with.

I may still do it for the few lamps that are not checked (dome lights, puddle lights, etc).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Very nice!

I'm wondering how much further down the road you can see meaning are these more of a light color change or actually brighter with better illumination?
    Thanks guys. I got them for the color swap to white more so than function. So my hids are Oem, I didn't touch those. Just the fogs.

Quote Originally Posted by y8s View Post
    I wanted to put LEDs in my MINI but the ECU checks the current in the circuit. Since LEDs draw much less current, it registers an error.

I could get resistor LEDs but somehow that feels... pointless? I do like the idea of never changing a bulb again though.

The other thing that bugs me slightly is that I worked for a lighting company and know the specific designs of reflectors are tied very closely to the shape of the intended bulb. LEDs get close to emulating it, but you'd be surprised what unintended changes you might end up with.

I may still do it for the few lamps that are not checked (dome lights, puddle lights, etc).
    Yeah no errors or hyper flash for me. I guess ford knew how to design them right . On my acura, I can't swap out my drls due to your similar reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great sportscar!

I got LED's in my license plate lights and PIAA Xtreme's in the reverse and cargo bed lights. The PIAA's have the white color, just not LED.
    2011 Ford F-150 FX4 5.0L -- My Flickr Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris's FX4 View Post
    Looks great sportscar!

I got LED's in my license plate lights and PIAA Xtreme's in the reverse and cargo bed lights. The PIAA's have the white color, just not LED.
    Chris, what are piaa's? I have a new used fusion that we are getting, and it just has standard halogens. I wanted to get an HID-like conversion. Suggestions?

Thanks for props tho buddy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. I did the same exact thing to my Shelby. Also changed the HID headlight bulbs to match the fogs. The led fogs do not increase visibility over the HID headlights and are purely for show.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sportscarhiatus View Post
    Chris, what are piaa's? I have a new used fusion that we are getting, and it just has standard halogens. I wanted to get an HID-like conversion. Suggestions?

Thanks for props tho buddy.
    PIAA is a lighting manufacturer.

PIAA Corporation USA | Halogen Lights | LED Lights | Bulbs | Wipers | Automotive Lamps | Fog Lamps

PIAA has some halogen headlight bulbs that are white and offer the HID look, but the expense of having this bright white light with halogens is that they don't last long, likely about a year. Not to mention the PIAA's are expensive. Sylvania's equivalent for the HID look is the zXe's. Again, these bulbs are all about the look for not much more function than the Silverstar Ultra's.

Don't bother trying to stick some HID's in the Fusion's housing unless you do it right, with a proper retro-fit.
    2011 Ford F-150 FX4 5.0L -- My Flickr Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Those look awesome, I changed all my interior lights and families cars light to vleds LEDs. I'm a bit of an led freak, I love the crisp clean colors, and they're so bright! Personally I'm a 5k guy, I like the clean bright white look. Great job, awesome upgrade. I've switched my license plate lights about 3x now, the most recent being on this past Thursday, think I finally found the right bulbs for my application

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast