autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Tint experts - question for you

Just had a vehicle tinted for the first time that wasn't factory tint. The rear windshield has a ton of light refraction at night off of headlights. Best way I can describe it is rows of lights above and below the headlights.

It appears the tint hasn't sealed around the defroster lines.

Will this improve over time? Or is this an install issue and should I take it back for a reinstall?

Thanks AG

Post Thanks / Like
    If the tint hasn't fully dried it can be like that around defrost lines and dot matrix. Although I always make sure I squeegee out my film real good and haven't experienced that problem. Give it a couple days. In colder weather it can take a week or more to fully dry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay thanks. So if it doesn't improve in a few more days, probably need a reinstall?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a hard card( or bondo scraper or credit card). Wrap it with a lint free paper towel and gently push it along the trouble spots and see if you can get it to smooth out. If the problem still exists you might wanna let the installer check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tint experts - question for you

I have seen in cool or cold weather up to 2 weeks for tint to fully dry. Until then, there will probably be small air pockets and the tint will be hazy looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tint experts - question for you

Well I took car back to installer. Replaced driver side because there was a particle between tint and glass.

On the rear window refraction issue, he basically said he wouldn't redo it because the defroster lines will always create a gap and the angle of the rear window is too steep. Sounded like he just didn't want do it again, but I've looked online and it seems its about 50/50 out there as to whether or not this can be avoided.

The tint is 3M crystalline which has a lifetime warranty. Should I try another shop, or is this what I have to live with, because if it is I will probably remove it. It's that distracting.

Post Thanks / Like
    If its that much of a distraction I would definitely have it reinstalled. Given 3m has a lifetime warranty I'm suprised they're not honoring the warranty on the installation. Sounds like shady business practice to me. I tinted the rear window on my C5 Z06 which is no fun. I have no distractions in any way. You are paying for a service and you should get what you are paying for.