autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: iPhone 4S or the Competition for under $100?

Quote Originally Posted by t5er View Post
    Get her what she wants; an iPhone. If she told you she wanted a pair of Paige jeans would you come on here and ask what kind of jeans are better than Paige? I don't have a daughter in HS, but I bet she basically wants what the other kids value. Adhering to trends is way more important than having a faster processor or more RAM.
    Hi, I work for at&t and his advice is pretty accurate. People could care less about functionality and durability when it comes to cell phones. Kids her age measure their worth based on the cell phone they have. My Nokia lumia and HTC one x will run circles around the 4s and iPhone 5 for that matter but kids don't understand those specs or practicality and affordability for you ( not just the apps but cost of insurance and replacement is way higher on iPhone) . If you want your daughter to be happy don't force her into what you want, but present her with the facts and give her the choice. This will actually reveal more about her character and personality than any therapy session money can buy sadly.

Good luck
    Ryan

2006 Audi S4

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had a phone close to the length of a contract. Having family in the biz didn't help either, I'd get new phones twice a year. Then I got my iPhone4. Getting ready to hit the two year mark and still completely happy. I had a Nexus One for a while, stuff in the Android market is so half baked compared to the mature apps on iOS.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the s3 and love it!
    Mark
    Go Orange!
    Seasonal Depression Disease

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree with yakky. I love my IPhone 4 and my 5 is on its way. I love all Apple products. I have an IMac and a Time Capsule also. I know a lot of people who went Android to Apple, but not vice versa. With Apple you will always have their newest software. In a year with Android the manufacturer will be on to the next phone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ummmmmm... since when do teens want to make an informed decision???????

Seriously, I am not a die hard apple guy but the iphone wins in this case. 4g or 3g is just the data speed and 3g isn't going anywhere. One of my daughters got an iPhone4 last month. She didnt want to wait for the 5 and didnt want Siri either. She loves it.

If her friends have an iPhone then she can Facetime with them (one example).

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

I've had an Android and currently have 4s. I will not argue that you can do more on the Android phones, however for me, I could care less about rooting my phone and having all the nonsense.

IMO iphones are better built quality, yes glass front and back will crack if dropped, but ive seen that happen with galaxys as well (however not as often)

When I had my Galaxy I had to replace it once and restart it 129038023498739479298 times and i take very good care of my belongings.

4g is BS IMO unless youre always on the road and need faster internet access. For me at work and at home I'm always connected to WiFi.

And final argument is if SHE want an iPhone get her an iPhone, shes the one who will be using it not you. Spend the extra few $ and make her happy rather then save few bucks to waste the rest.
    2012 Crystal Black Pearl Acura TL
    2013 Pearl White Nissan Altima

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lean69 View Post
    I've had an Android and currently have 4s. I will not argue that you can do more on the Android phones, however for me, I could care less about rooting my phone and having all the nonsense.

IMO iphones are better built quality, yes glass front and back will crack if dropped, but ive seen that happen with galaxys as well (however not as often)

When I had my Galaxy I had to replace it once and restart it 129038023498739479298 times and i take very good care of my belongings.

4g is BS IMO unless youre always on the road and need faster internet access. For me at work and at home I'm always connected to WiFi.

And final argument is if SHE want an iPhone get her an iPhone, shes the one who will be using it not you. Spend the extra few $ and make her happy rather then save few bucks to waste the rest.
    Well put.... as the point about 3g vs. 4g.... when I purchased my Motorola Droid I got the same 3g vs. 4g sales material presented to me. Since I am in IT I probed some more. At the time, I purchased the Droid that ran on 3g because it was faster the the Droid's that were on 4g (due to another factor). That is probably not the case today 1 year later but suffice to say I use my phone mostly around a wireless access point so I hardly use 3g anyway. :-)hh

Post Thanks / Like

My son turned 16 a couple of weeks ago. His phone contract was up and he wanted the iPhone 5, but he started looking at Android phones. He ended up with Razor Maxx. It was $99 from Wirefly, plus I am going to receive $50 due to my bank rewards with Wirefly. My net costs is $49. The phone lasts at least for 1+ day before needing to be charged. The Razor Maxx has 32g of total memory.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by t5er View Post

Get her what she wants; an iPhone. If she told you she wanted a pair of Paige jeans would you come on here and ask what kind of jeans are better than Paige?

I bet she basically wants what the other kids value. Adhering to trends is way more important than having a faster processor or more RAM.

I'd agree with the above. I got my son an iPhone and he loves it.

Our iPhones are also grandfathered in under an unlimited data plan and I'm not giving that up anytime soon.

Post Thanks / Like

You have a tough situation on your hands.

Kids don't want a MP3 player, they want and iPod. They don't want a phone, they want an iPhone. It's all about status and keeping up with everyone else. Personally, I can't stand that. I can't stand the sheep mentality. I've always been that way. I buy things based on functionality, price, etc. I don't do things just because someone else is doing it. I try to get that point across to my nieces and nephews and friend's kids (I don't have kids myself) but it's a hard thing to do.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast