autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

i feel like I am wasteing time with my life

This has been bugging me for awhile and I don't know what to do. I graduated from high school in 2007, I started college the same year. I graduated with an A.S in Electronics and Computer Technology in 2010. After graduation, I had little to no luck in the job market. I have worked only about 1 year out of the 2.5 years since Ive graduated.

I decided to come back to school and persue a B.S in Electrical Engineering. I am in my 3rd semester and recently I began getting phone calls from staffing agencies asking if I am still in the job market. I have turned down two offers in one week. It is just killing me inside. I want to work so bad, but I also want to go to school. If I go full time in school, I would probably graduate when I am 27-28. I feel like I wasted all that time when I wasn't working. I could have been 2 years in already if I had started sooner.

My fear is that I will graduate with an EE at the age of 28, and still not be able to find a job. I will then be in more debt and I will be starting a career at a late age.

Ugh
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: i feel like I am wasteing time with my life

Jacob,

I was in a similar situation as you 2 years ago.
    At the end I took the job offer and changed to part time study.
    I am also studying EE now!
    The reason that I did not drop my study is because I love the learning process in university.
    In fact I think I prefer to do go for further studies / research rather than working as engineer.

Dennis.
    Exotic Auto Detail trade review / feedback:
    Think twice if you're going to trade with ExoticAutoDetai.

Post Thanks / Like

We need more engineers. If you are doing it because you love it, because you have a sincere interest in it, finish school. If you're going for the BSEE simply because you think you can get a good job with that degree, maybe you should drop out; as much as we need engineers, you won't be a good one if you don't have a passion for it.

Sometimes that time spent when you're 18-23 isn't wasted if it's spent figuring out what you really want out of life or a career...how many people get a 4-year degree right out of high school, and then never wind up working in their field of study?

Post Thanks / Like

Thats true. I know many guys I graduated highschool with who have BA's who are working retail. I dunno, I just want to be independant. But I want a good education. I dont want to be like my brother who is going back to school at the age of 35.

EE has always interested me. Im not doing it just because of the money. But working in the fields of power or RF or whatever sounds really fun to me.
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PPLd View Post
    Jacob,

I was in a similar situation as you 2 years ago.
    At the end I took the job offer and changed to part time study.
    I am also studying EE now!
    The reason that I did not drop my study is because I love the learning process in university.
    In fact I think I prefer to do go for further studies / research rather than working as engineer.

Dennis.
    How is part time school working for you?
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timaishu View Post
    EE has always interested me. Im not doing it just because of the money. But working in the fields of power or RF or whatever sounds really fun to me.
    Go for it, man. In the go-go 80's you would have had an aerospace job in a second once you graduated, but I think SD is pretty dead now. Try and get some summer internships later, it will help get you started.

Post Thanks / Like

Jacob, I was 27 when I got my EE degree. Stay the course. I would recommend you major in Power. We are an aged work force.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stay on the path. Success will come.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the encouragement you guys. I am going to try and find part time work or internships.

I honestly just want to get experience under my belt. I live at home right now, so money isn't a live or die situation.
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

As someone who will finally graduate this year (at, ahem age 42), I advise to stay the course. I made the mistake (in hindsight) to leave college and work in the airline industry. After leaving ther airlines in the early 2000's , I focused on Law enforcement and have fortunately secured a great job in the private sector. The advantage of this job is that the company encourages further education. The Bachelors degree is really a personal milestone for me more than for career advancement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast