autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Looked at a lot of Black Cars at American Muscle show today

Being bit hard with the detail bug I'm supercritical of the condition of my 96 SVT Cobra. Especially in the harsh sun I see every scratch and dreadfully new nics.

My car from a few feet looks awesome. But look close in the sun and light scratches show up that drive me insane. So today I made it a point to check out every black car at the show. Many looked perfect from a few feet. But all but 1 failed the high sun test and close inspection. Many were the same as mine, and some were much worse. Lots of swirl marks, even on some 2013 cars. Black is brutal. It will be hard, but I'll try to less hard on myself. One car was gorgeous even up close. Not sure if it was recently buffed out, or trailered in. It was like a black mirror. I also noticed metalflake in black paint hides swirls.

Also noticed swirls and scratches in other colors if I looked close, especially red. Here's to white and silver car! Lol. There were close to 1000 mustangs there today at the AM show in Media, PA.
    Learning to detail for fun and to show my 96 Ford SVT Cobra, Black. My dad always said I was going to wax the paint right off my car. Would wax every weekend. GG 6" DAP

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looked at a lot of Black Cars at American Muscle show today

It's good to hear theres other mustang fans on this forum, I would of loved to have gone to that show! I totally forgot about it until I saw an AM post on my facebook.

Anyway, I do the same thing now! That's what happens when you gain knowledge and rise in the ranks! I find myself looking at other cars paint for ten minutes at the car shows, pointing out all the flaws lol.. But every now and then I get cars that are in better condition, but those are the ones that keep me motivated to reach a new level!

Also, I kinda want to get my next car in black, just for the experience and challenge!
    Last edited by UltimateDetail; 08-13-2012 at 01:45 AM. Reason: forgot something

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
    Being bit hard with the detail bug I'm supercritical of the condition of my 96 SVT Cobra. Especially in the harsh sun I see every scratch and dreadfully new nics.

My car from a few feet looks awesome. But look close in the sun and light scratches show up that drive me insane. So today I made it a point to check out every black car at the show. Many looked perfect from a few feet. But all but 1 failed the high sun test and close inspection. Many were the same as mine, and some were much worse. Lots of swirl marks, even on some 2013 cars. Black is brutal. It will be hard, but I'll try to less hard on myself. One car was gorgeous even up close. Not sure if it was recently buffed out, or trailered in. It was like a black mirror. I also noticed metalflake in black paint hides swirls.

Also noticed swirls and scratches in other colors if I looked close, especially red. Here's to white and silver car! Lol. There were close to 1000 mustangs there today at the AM show in Media, PA.
    I feel your pain. I did a 3 step detail a week ago on my black Mustang (daily driver) a week ago. Jeweled with a rotary and Ultrafina. The car looked pretty good in sunlight before any wax or sealant. No visisble swirls. A week later and I'm beginning to see a few minor swirl marks. Like they say, owning a black car is a full time job.
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Post Thanks / Like
    I will never EVER buy a black daily driver ever again. You are not alone my friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Hence, the reason I will NEVER buy a black car again. For people that are clueless about what they're seeing, black is an awesome color. For those who actually know what paint defects are, it's a living nightmare. I feel so lucky that black isn't the only color available.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SSizzlin' View Post
    Hence, the reason I will NEVER buy a black car again. For people that are clueless about what they're seeing, black is an awesome color. For those who actually know what paint defects are, it's a living nightmare. I feel so lucky that black isn't the only color available.
    "Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black".
    ~ Henry Ford [Excerpt from his autobiography: My Life and Work...Chapter IV, p. 71.]

I'm also glad that other color-choices are available;
    and, to paraphrase Bob Dylan (in case Ol' Man Ford would be listening):

"The Times They Are a-Changin"

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti