autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about hooking up a battery charger?

Hi SD Fans I know this has been a topic many times before and i have read many threads about this topic; however, I need to know im getting this correct I have connected a trickle charger pigtail to my battery but i think i must have it wrong. I connected the pigtail ilet rings both of them to my battery. Red Positive and Black Neg; however, i note in thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10574&p=119095&hilit=battery#p 119095 , the red positive is connected and the Neg is connected to somewhere earthed on the frame of the bike? So my question is... Can you not have the Black Neg connected to the battery as well or does it have to be connected to somewhere earthed on the frame?????

Mike Phillips

Re: Question about hooking up a battery charger?

Really strange first post for a detailing discussion forum but what the heck...

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

I moved your above post out of my article on restoring antique single stage paint and created for you your very own dedicated thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Here we go again...first post seemingly not detail-related...and the comment about many threads here about battery charging? But at least it's in the Off-Topic forum, so I'll take a whack at it.

The reason it's recommended that the neg wire from the charger be connected to the frame of the vehicle rather than the neg terminal of the battery, is to move the contact spart away from the battery where there is the possibility of hydrogen gas being present and causing an explosion. However, that is mostly for jump starting.

If you are using a plug-in charger, you can hook up to the battery terminals first, then plug the charger into the wall (and the spark will be at the outlet). Just make sure your garage isn't full of gasoline fumes when you plug in

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I moved your above post out of my article on restoring antique single stage paint and created for you your very own dedicated thread.
    Oh, THAT's why it was in the right place. This seems like another "George Brown" kind of post. Mike, have you asked the administrator to look into what is going on with these, and if they are related? It seems rather suspicious, although I can't figure out what the "master plan" is.

Post Thanks / Like

When I started reading this I immediately thought of "George Brown"...