autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Test spot - Boat Detailing - Gelcoat - B & B Detailing - Old Hickory TN

mmm thanks for the tip bro!

2001 c5 z06
    2000 Camaro SS - SOLD

Post Thanks / Like

try wool pads alot faster

Post Thanks / Like

Anthony,
    As usual, great work.

A couple of comments if you don't mind.

I love working in those same conditions, raining and staying dry. I've actually worked like that a few times and it really makes for pleasant working condition. I only wish I could have heard you a bit better. I had a really hard time hearing your direction which was an important part of the video. I know you're aware of this, and you expressed concern as well. I'd love to see a series of new videos without the background noise.

Love the style of shirts. I think it presents a great image especially coupled with a smile like that. Very professional in my opinion. You seem to have a great personality too and it shows.

You sent me a pm awhile back with product names. Has that changed? I'm not sure where to get some of those products. If the products have changed shoot me another pm. Looked like the first product was a 3M product as well as the pads, possibly.

With my passion for working on boats and being around water, loving Tennessee myself, having a wife that used to live close by and would move there again in a heartbeat.

By the way, did you get a chance to try the Buff Magic yet? Just wondering. Of course, with results like that I'm sure it's hard to justify trying something else.

Since I mentioned it to you I've gotten a chance to use it on a 1976 Boston Whaler. I only went over the boat once and I was actually very impressed. The only drawback I had is that it turned my wool pad black. I honestly feel that the black came from the pad coming in contact with metal parts though. However, the wool pads did wash out nicely. I'm actually looking forward to trying that product again.

I did take some photo's and video that I need to get posted.

Would love to see more of your videos on gel-coat. Nice work Anthony!
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Nice tutorial Anthony
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jomax View Post
    What's the names of the compounds used if you don't mind? Do you prefer foam over wool?

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online
    3M Super duty - Ardex Heavy cut - I prefer foam NOW

Quote Originally Posted by c5z06camaro View Post
    mmm thanks for the tip bro!
    No problem man

Quote Originally Posted by master detailer View Post
    try wool pads alot faster
    Nah - dont produce the same quality IMO - used wool for years and turned to foam

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Anthony,
    As usual, great work.

A couple of comments if you don't mind.

I love working in those same conditions, raining and staying dry. I've actually worked like that a few times and it really makes for pleasant working condition. I only wish I could have heard you a bit better. I had a really hard time hearing your direction which was an important part of the video. I know you're aware of this, and you expressed concern as well. I'd love to see a series of new videos without the background noise.

Love the style of shirts. I think it presents a great image especially coupled with a smile like that. Very professional in my opinion. You seem to have a great personality too and it shows.

You sent me a pm awhile back with product names. Has that changed? I'm not sure where to get some of those products. If the products have changed shoot me another pm. Looked like the first product was a 3M product as well as the pads, possibly.

With my passion for working on boats and being around water, loving Tennessee myself, having a wife that used to live close by and would move there again in a heartbeat.

By the way, did you get a chance to try the Buff Magic yet? Just wondering. Of course, with results like that I'm sure it's hard to justify trying something else.

Since I mentioned it to you I've gotten a chance to use it on a 1976 Boston Whaler. I only went over the boat once and I was actually very impressed. The only drawback I had is that it turned my wool pad black. I honestly feel that the black came from the pad coming in contact with metal parts though. However, the wool pads did wash out nicely. I'm actually looking forward to trying that product again.

I did take some photo's and video that I need to get posted.

Would love to see more of your videos on gel-coat. Nice work Anthony!

Thanks bro - pm is the same, only sometimes I toss in Meg's polish over Ardex - and I top with collinite Fleetwax

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Nice tutorial Anthony
    Thanx man
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

I found it Anthony. Didn't look in the Off-topic section.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Anthony,
    One other thing I wanted to mention about the Buff Magic. On my first use of it, it did seem to be a bit grabby with the wool pad. I just thought I'd throw that out there for others reading. I seen in another post where someone had similar findings. However, I'll play with it some more before turning in my final verdict.

I did manage to get some 3M super duty compound to try, as well as some 3M Finesse-It II.

It appears you added some additional, or repeat steps, in your process and it really does look like it gives it that extra pop. What speeds are you running? It didn't appear to be all that fast.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Hey Anthony,
    One other thing I wanted to mention about the Buff Magic. On my first use of it, it did seem to be a bit grabby with the wool pad. I just thought I'd throw that out there for others reading. I seen in another post where someone had similar findings. However, I'll play with it some more before turning in my final verdict.

I did manage to get some 3M super duty compound to try, as well as some 3M Finesse-It II.

It appears you added some additional, or repeat steps, in your process and it really does look like it gives it that extra pop. What speeds are you running? It didn't appear to be all that fast.
    3m Super - speed 2.5 to 3 on Makita
    Ardex Heavy - speed 2.5 to 3 on Makita
    meg's 205, or Ardex Stereo Glaze - 1.5 to 2 makita
    Collinite Fleet wax - By hand
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post
    If you only do a two step compound and polish which compound do you use. Also any reason you don't use a DA to apply the wax? Thanks Anthony, your work is nothing short of amazing. I tried removing compound with my DA, it does look better, but not as good as yours. Also using a 5.5 in pad takes awhile. Hoping to buy a dewalt 849x soon. BTW what pads are you using? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post
    You're running faster than I originally thought of the first two step.

While I watched the first time around today I had trouble hearing the videos, especially the third video. Well, I found out after just watching them again why I couldn't hear to well. Earlier today I had a small industrial fan running in our hallway which added to the background noise I was hearing. Duh!!! So, after watching these again I have some additional questions one of which I'll send in a pm.

1. If I understood correctly you're doing step 1 twice, and step 2 twice, then the glaze step, and finally wax...at least on that particular boat? That's 5 steps not including the wax. Correct?

2. I thought I heard you say you work in small areas, taking each area through steps 1-5 before moving on the the next area. Correct?

If I'm correct this would be a new way of doing it for me. I normally would do an entire step around the boat, which in this case would mean that I'd go around the entire boat twice with 3M super duty before moving to my next product which the would be step 3 of 5 and 4 of 5 before going on to the glaze. Would you mind elaborating on why you do it this way? I'm sure you have a good reason.

3. You eluded to a 40' boat. Was that boat that large? How long did it take? I know you said sometimes a week. I'm just trying to get a feel for the time.

4. Did you polish the entire hull? Waterline up, including the inside deck area (inside sides, not the floor)?

5. Sent by pm.
    Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12