autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Attention photographers! What lens to buy?

I'm debating on two prime lenses to buy for my D5100. I'm torn between the 35mm f1.8 or the 50mm f1.8.

To those familiar with photography/these lenses, which do you prefer for photographing cars (stand still no action shots).

Thanks in advance for you expertise
    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Attention photographers! What lens to buy?

If Nikkor, both are great lenses. On a digital, 35mm will be neutral (what the eye sees) and 50mm is very slightly telephoto (slightly shortens depth of field). Either would be excellent. Very fast and will work well in low light. Have both but generally just use my 24-120 AF-S VR unless I'm really serious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    If Nikkor, both are great lenses. On a digital, 35mm will be neutral (what the eye sees) and 50mm is very slightly telephoto (slightly shortens depth of field). Either would be excellent. Very fast and will work well in low light. Have both but generally just use my 24-120 AF-S VR unless I'm really serious.
    I totally agree and +1 on the 24-120 VR. Great lens. If I could only get one of the two, I would probably opt for the 35 for shooting cars.

Post Thanks / Like

I have both lenses for use on my D7000 but find that I go to the 35MM most often when doing portraiture indoors where space is limited. Both lenses produce excellent results in a wide range of conditions and subjects. Have you read Ken Rockwell's website (http://www.kenrockwell.com/)? He has a lot of good information that will help in making a purchase. Also, one thing to consider is the 35MM is a DX lens made for cropped sensor camera's (D7000, D3100)and not recommended for full frame or 35MM camera's. So if a full frame camera like the new D800 is in your future this maybe something to consider although for the cost these are not a huge investment and easy to sell.
    Last edited by siberianrunner; 06-25-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: messed up photo attached so had to edit out that statement

Post Thanks / Like
    The newly released nikkor 28mm 1.8G looks sick.

You may find that 35mm on a 1.5x crop sensor is all a little too close. I've got the 50mm 1.8 that I rarely use because it's too close for the images I shoot.

Definitely go to a local shop that stocks the glass and test them out with your camera body before you purchase.

Look into the 16-85 vr II. I love it. Not a fast prime, but the range is amazing and the images are really sharp.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Thanks for all the great recommendations! I will look up these other lenses and see if they are within my price range.

I do not have a full frame camera, and doubt I ever will buy one.

Edit: Just searched for these lenses. LOL, a bit much for my price range, they do look awesome!
    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with the 35mm lens since you have a 1.5x crop factor on that camera. That will get you closest to natural viewing distance (about 53mm).
    That should be a really good lens for you.

Outside of that, I'd get something that gives you a wide angle, as I find that best for automotive photography usually. Even if it's a zoom range from like 17-55mm, that should be great. If you're able to get even wider, that's a plus.
    -Brent

Post Thanks / Like

If I could afford the 28MM 1.8G I'd go that route. Next on my list to purchase is the 35MM 1.8 too!

Post Thanks / Like

I own both the 35 and the 50 and the 50 is night and day better than the 35. Its a bit tighter in range and you have to get into a farther position for some shots but the clarity is so much better.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're doing car shows you may want even wider than 35. It can be pretty hard to get a good shot when they're close together. But if it's just 1 car at a time I think I'd go with the 50.

Probably the best way to figure it out would be to rent both lenses and see which one you like best. Either local or through a place like lensrentals.com.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast