autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Define the terms Detailing & Paint correction

I recently had a discussion on another forum about polishing where there was a disagreement on what a polish is.... bit unrelated to the topic on hand but the reason why I mention this is because the other party, apparently a detailer, thought I knew nothing about detailing and was using terms that he would use on his customers. Later during the discussion when he figured out I knew a bit more than nothing, we had a mutual understanding of each other.

I guess my point is and as Mike said, most ppl dont know the difference between a swirl and squirrel. IMO, if they want to call a wash and wax a detail... so be it. But it would be only fair to let them know exactly what you are doing.
    2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by c8n View Post
    I recently had a discussion on another forum about polishing where there was a disagreement on what a polish is.... bit unrelated to the topic on hand but the reason why I mention this is because the other party, apparently a detailer, thought I knew nothing about detailing and was using terms that he would use on his customers. Later during the discussion when he figured out I knew a bit more than nothing, we had a mutual understanding of each other.

I guess my point is and as Mike said, most ppl dont know the difference between a swirl and squirrel. IMO, if they want to call a wash and wax a detail... so be it. But it would be only fair to let them know exactly what you are doing.
    Thanks for you feedback, I to have several services that include waxing so yes I consider a wash & wax a form of a DETAIL, but not part of PAINT CORRECTION same ballpark two different playing fields to me paint correction requires more than basic knowledge & skill and you have a large tool use requirement (Polisher/Buffer) used to reduce or remove defects from paint thus equaling correcting. so you have DETAILING the cleaning part/ and then you have PAINT CORRECTION the skilled labor & knowledge to correct paint issues.
    Detailing Terminology Obsessive Car Detailing - Professional Full Service Mobile Car Detailing in Los Angeles and Orange County CA

Post Thanks / Like

IDA - a good read - IDA Certification - Study Guide: Paint Correction and Protection, Part I

Auto Laundry News: IDA Certification

Post Thanks / Like

This company (Detailing | Glenside Auto Spa) is not too far from me,now He charges $85.00 for a 3 step correction listed as a FULL EXTERIOR DETAIL:G-SPA CAR EXFOLIATE (Full Exterior Detail) : $84.99
    Includes power wash pre-treatment; hand wash, remove all tar, bug, & road grime, 3 Step process-compound, polish, and glaze exterior with high speed buffer, hand wax, clean and dress tires and rims; windows cleaned; Your exterior will have a showroom shine! (+$10 SUV/ + $20 Oversized) i charge $100. without CORRECTION, and this is why I believe so many customers are confused or want more for the PRICE.
    Last edited by 215Detailing; 05-13-2014 at 02:26 PM. Reason: misspelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 215Detailing View Post
    This company (Detailing | Glenside Auto Spa) is not too far from me,now He charges $85.00 for a 3 step correction listed as a FULL EXTERIOR DETAIL:G-SPA CAR EXFOLIATE (Full Exterior Detail) : $84.99
    Includes power wash pre-treatment; hand wash, remove all tar, bug, & road grime, 3 Step process-compound, polish, and glaze exterior with high speed buffer, hand wax, clean and dress tires and rims; windows cleaned; Your exterior will have a showroom shine! (+$10 SUV/ + $20 Oversized) i charge $100. without CORRECTION, and this is why I believe so many customers are confused or want more for the PRICE.

I have a couple of places by me that do the exact same thing which use to confuse me when I started thinking about setting my prices...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjv231 View Post
    I have a couple of places by me that do the exact same thing which use to confuse me when I started thinking about setting my prices...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yes it becomes confusing also on the service end because most of these place do a 3 step correction in less than eight (8) hours and there rates are below what I beieve is the norm for a shop with overhead of a lease.

Post Thanks / Like

We are very lucky in the UK as detailing means paint correction, whilst valeting means general wash etc (obviously in the US you have another meaning for it)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PrismDetailing View Post
    We are very lucky in the UK as detailing means paint correction, whilst valeting means general wash etc (obviously in the US you have another meaning for it)
    Detailing means in depth cleaning, valeting means having someone else park your car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PrismDetailing View Post
    I like that, wish more folks here would separate the two as well as paint correction would bring in more money if you are skilled and even at various levels from BASIC DETAILING (cleaning)

Post Thanks / Like

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast