autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry What a great day - UNTIL........

A new guy drops a 2 month old cyclo polisher into the lake . Yep, Its at the bottom of the lake - Im starting to get irritated.
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Say what? Please tell me that he's gonna pay you back for that somehow.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What a great day - UNTIL........

Well - Tyson wanted to make him pay for it, I was a bit more on the side of S*** happens - so we met in the middle and he is going to pay for half of it. We have two and use them both all day everyday, which hurts us pretty bad having to wait for another one to come in. He said he slipped on the dock and it was either him or the polisher going in. A true detailer would have pushed the polisher to safety I think lol - I would have been more than happy to buy him a new polo and shorts :/
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I would've jumped in for the polisher, but If I had to chose polisher or me into the lake i would chose me( we're water proof) if I had my phone on me, polisher), phone costs more make your guys strap the polishers to their pants.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, some sort of safety tether seems in order in this instance. Should be pretty easy to find since it's something that roofers etc. would use. I googled "tool safety tether" and came up with some hits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Yes, some sort of safety tether seems in order in this instance. Should be pretty easy to find since it's something that roofers etc. would use. I googled "tool safety tether" and came up with some hits.

This is a good idea. In the Army we called them Dummy Cords. We tied off anything that was classified or we did not want to stay out in the field for. Nods, laser sights, etc. Only problem here would be getting the Dummy Cord Caught up in the rotary as we used 550 Cord to tie off with. It is a Parachute cord (very Strong). It could take out the slack very quickly and pull on whatever you have it tied to, Arm, Leg, Waist, LOL

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Anthony,

Did you recover the polisher?

The reason I ask is several years ago during a hurricane my basement was flooded with about 1 foot of water or better. My Porter Cable 7424 sat submerged for at least 2 days.

Like you I was devastated but was done was done, the only thing I could do was to dry it, blow it out with compressed air and let it sit for several days in the house...

Once the unit was thoroughly dry I switched it on and it's working to this day...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Anthony,

Did you recover the polisher?

The reason I ask is several years ago during a hurricane my basement was flooded with about 1 foot of water or better. My Porter Cable 7424 sat submerged for at least 2 days.

Like you I was devastated but was done was done, the only thing I could do was to dry it, blow it out with compressed air and let it sit for several days in the house...

Once the unit was thoroughly dry I switched it on and it's working to this day...

Plug it in and check it out before you toss it. If it doesn't work, look for an Armature store near you and I'm sure they can repair it if in fact it is damaged

When you go back to the jobsite, push that employee into the lake and make him walk home. Tell him you'll see him tommorow as you drive off
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

If you can recover the polisher from the bottom of the lake, I suggest tearing it down and spraying liberally with CRC 2-26. CRC 2-26 is a special lubricant/cleaner that's non flammable and displaces moisture while also leaving behind a sealant to prevent further problems associated with moisture.

At the place I used to work for we had a 4" water main break inside the building over the weekend. When we came in Monday the process pit was filled with 12 feet of water covering several 5, 7 and 25 horsepower 3 phase electric electric motors and all the 3 phase switches associated with such motors.

We purchased replacement motors for some of the stuff that was under water and used CRC 2-26 to displace the moisture from the rest of them. Of course we tore them all down and blew them out with compressed air before applying the CRC 2-26 to displace the rest of the moisture. All the motors we dried out worked fine at start up and are still in service a few years later.

Here's a link

Seal Out Moisture in Electrical Equipment from CRC Industries

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I would give the guy that dropped the polisher a break - especially if he is a decent employee. Sucks to take a loss here, but this guy has to feel pretty bad about this in the first place. You could use this situation as a morale booster to your team - take something positive from it. Maybe sit all of your guys down for a shift meeting and talk about safely operating detailing equipment.

2012 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - Torch Red

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast