autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lighting Issue: How many T8 fixtures in one socket?

Ok, I'm looking for help from guys that know a thing or two about home electricity. I live in a condo/apartment that has a single car garage that is very narrow. How narrow you ask? This narrow:

Also, the lighting in my garage is abysmal, just a single CFL bulb that looks "yellow". So, I bought the halogens:

Then I bought the Brinkmann:

But, waxing or polishing was always a real drag, as I always had to pull out into the sun to get the true results. The car would look great in the garage, only to pull it outside to see dust and fingerprints. So, being a true AutoGeek, this would never work. First, I researched if there was some kind of super light bulb I could get that would just swap, but I found out that's not the case. I decided to go with 4' strip T8 dual bulb hanging lights. First I bought 1 strip, then another, then another. I now have 6 T8 light bulbs in my garage. Anyone else with lighting issues, I would encourage you to do this, as these fixtures are super cheap(10 bucks each for fixtures, good bulbs are about 4 bucks each) and are super easy to install(they just hang from an anchor you install in dry wall, then plug in your outlet). Also, I got the 6,xxxx rated bulbs, the ones that make " blue light". Now my garage is brighter than a sunny day. Dramatic difference!
    ...However, I wanted them all to work with the light switch, which to the best of my knowledge only works the single light socket. So, I got a bulb socket adapter, where the adapter allows outlets to be tapped off the bulb:

My question is, is this safe? I rent, and can't do any re-wiring. The guy at Lowes told me it was OK, as he said fluorescent lights are super efficient. However, this was when I planned on running just 1 fixture, now I have 3 and would like to run another one. So, I know heat is the enemy of electrical wires and such. I keep hand checking the bulb and the wires and nothing gets hot. Also, I always turn the lights off when I leave the room. I know the wires look kind of ghetto, but I can't hard wire these in because it violates my lease. Also, I plan to add 1 more, as I've gone light crazy. Here are some pics of the setup:

Will my house burn down?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lighting Issue: How many T8 fixtures in one socket?

I am not an electrcian, but I am a safety guy, and I wouldn't allow that on a site. You are probably pushing it, if not exceeding.
    2007 Audi A4 3.2 Brilliant Black

"Chance favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

Post Thanks / Like

Like it would make much a difference, but you might as well take out the cfl to take off some strain. Its surely not adding any light.
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

You can turn your garage circuit off and see what else is on it(it wont be working). Add up all the lights and other things that dont work and see if its less than the garage breaker you turned off prolly 15 or 20 amp.
    'Cause there's just something women like about a pickup man.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Buy a "P3 Kill A Watt" (Google it) to find out how much currrent you're drawing. It's an inexpensive and useful device.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well , thanks for everyone's input! Something really odd just happened with my light setup. I was pulling the wheels off my BMW to get them re-powder coated, and all the lights shut off. I'm thing, "I blew a fuse". Went and checked fuses, nothing blown.. Clicked and reset it anyway. Still, all lights out, including the CFL. So, I unplugged the T8s, and plugged them in other outlets. They light fine. Then I re-flip the switch; and the CFL goes on. I'm guessing it was overdrawing and shut off some "circuit breaker" built in the light socket to plug adapter. So, ultimately, this plug set up must be too much for the socket. I really would like to figure out a way I could flip one switch and they all turn on, any suggestions???

Post Thanks / Like

Can I suggest you take 3 light and place them on the wall verticle. This way you have sufficient lighting across the top and sides of your car. As far as the lighting goes...to much draw on the circuit. However you can remove that bulb since its really not doing much and place the flourescent lighting as your garage door lights.

Post Thanks / Like

Are there any outher outlets in the garage? Why not just run an extension cord for two of them to the wall and have one hooked up as you do now.

Might look a little getto. But if you staple the cord to the wall, it would look clean.
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

My dad is a electrician and he said the best result for this situation is to remove the light box above the ceiling and install a receptical box with a receptical, then daisy chain the lights ( daisy chaining is where you wire one light to another) with the last light pluging into the receptical. If you dont know how to do this i would hire a professional, not worth injuring yourself. Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Follow up: avoid extension cord with the lights they are the number one fire hazard in residential and commercial buildings due to overheating because of bad connections. Just a word of caution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast