autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Employment issues - any and all advice welcome!

Alright guys, heres the story :

A month ago I had to let go of 2 guys. 1 guy worked super hard but did not treat this as a real job. His last day he came for an hour and a half and left (saying something important came up) making B & B lose $400 for the day (jacked the whole day up). The other guy just sucked when it came to quality.

Hired a new guy 3 weeks ago and 1) He is late 3 out of 6 days a week..... including today where I did not call him to see where he was, just left for a job and received a call 2 hours later with an , "Im sorry!". Im done with this guy .

My guys make anywhere from 75 to 200 a day - depending on the amount of work we have and the amount of guys working. Growth has been ridiculous and myself and Tyson cannot handle any more work than our regular clients right now - so what are your alls methods of finding good guys?!?!?! Am I doing something wrong here?!?!? We pay well and have a great working environment - what else can I do here?!?!? Anyone experienced with these issues and overcome them?!?!?

Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Employment issues - any and all advice welcome!

Hey best of luck in your search. If it was a year ago, I would've gladly worked for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by langman37 View Post
    Hey best of luck in your search. If it was a year ago, I would've gladly worked for you.
    Well - you would've had a great opportunity my friend..... not sure why others don't see this?!?! I need someone to basically take care of my clients in the field so I can start subsidiaries or produce contracts - no one seems to understand how big I plan on growing this company and how great it would be to get in early lol
    Bates Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Man i wish you the best of luck on finding good help. ive hired an fired 10 guys in the past year alone. im not as busy as you are so im doing my regular clients by myself. pays the bills but not much room for growth. Id say id come work for you but your about a year too soon. i plan on moving to TN in about a year or so. (long story) but i just planned on starting my biz back from the ground up once moved. But be good for you being i have my own trailer an equipment lol. But best of luck with finding good help. everyone wants a check but nobody wants to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSUFAN View Post
    Man i wish you the best of luck on finding good help. ive hired an fired 10 guys in the past year alone. im not as busy as you are so im doing my regular clients by myself. pays the bills but not much room for growth. Id say id come work for you but your about a year too soon. i plan on moving to TN in about a year or so. (long story) but i just planned on starting my biz back from the ground up once moved. But be good for you being i have my own trailer an equipment lol. But best of luck with finding good help. everyone wants a check but nobody wants to work.
    True - VERY true...... astonishing with the economy that is apparently tough to get work in lol?!?!? What part of TN you moving to? If you come to middle TN definitely hit me up man (not for work if you are starting your own thing, but just to hang out - I'll show you around) - its amazing how much business is out there in this bad economy..... only I can't tap it without the ability to get in the office everyday! Tyson is willing to go through 100 people before finding the right one, I don't understand how people don't just work hard and take pride in their work to begin with - behooves me
    Bates Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post
    True - VERY true...... astonishing with the economy that is apparently tough to get work in lol?!?!? What part of TN you moving to? If you come to middle TN definitely hit me up man (not for work if you are starting your own thing, but just to hang out - I'll show you around) - its amazing how much business is out there in this bad economy..... only I can't tap it without the ability to get in the office everyday! Tyson is willing to go through 100 people before finding the right one, I don't understand how people don't just work hard and take pride in their work to begin with - behooves me
    Well my an old friend lives in Morristown TN which is about 3 hours away from where your located from what i can see. Weve been talking alot lately and if i didnt already have multiple clients with year contracts then i would have been out of LA long ago. Location isnt an issue just have to find the right location or job opportunity. Will be making a trip to Nashville in a few months. will def get ahold of you. Always nice to meet an talk with other detailers

Post Thanks / Like

But your right i have plenty of work. But have to hand if off to a few other detailers i know bc i cant take it on being that im by myself an booked weeks in advance. Ive had them all guys that have never detailed an guys that have had 19 yrs detailing an everyone of them either is always late of something always come up an have to leave early, or i have to constantly go behind them an re vac or redo windows. its much faster doing it myself at times

Post Thanks / Like

Will be making a trip to Nashville in a few months. will def get ahold of you. Always nice to meet an talk with other detailers
    Hit me up man

But your right i have plenty of work. But have to hand if off to a few other detailers i know bc i cant take it on being that im by myself an booked weeks in advance. Ive had them all guys that have never detailed an guys that have had 19 yrs detailing an everyone of them either is always late of something always come up an have to leave early, or i have to constantly go behind them an re vac or redo windows. its much faster doing it myself at times
    Had a girl that "detailed" for 5 years come for one day lol - all she had to do was clean door jambs, was not impressed at all lol (old habits I guess). I have the same issue with going over work but that will have to end for sure - I plan on starting an aircraft detailing company, fleet washing company, and having a shop very soon - if I have to go over everyone's work then I will work myself to death - and Im already close to that scenario already unfortunately lol!
    Bates Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post
    I don't understand how people don't just work hard and take pride in their work to begin with
    C'mon man...people! That's kind of like saying "why don't people wash their new cars!" There's an old saying when you own your own business, don't expect the people who work for you to care about it like you do. As far as employees it's kind of the same sliding scale, just like there are very few you's, there are only small number of people who can be a supv/lead man, a slightly larger number who can be a decent employee, and the rest are going to be crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    C'mon man...people! That's kind of like saying "why don't people wash their new cars!" There's an old saying when you own your own business, don't expect the people who work for you to care about it like you do. As far as employees it's kind of the same sliding scale, just like there are very few you's, there are only small number of people who can be a supv/lead man, a slightly larger number who can be a decent employee, and the rest are going to be crap.
    True - so I just need to find a way to sleep at night with low quality work done?!?! I hope not :/ I completely understand what you are saying and sadly agree - but what would be the method of attracting these true leaders/sups? Trial and error, or is there a better way from experience?!?!?
    Bates Detailing

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast